Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When casting made a balls of it

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Then you get the usual offended brigade giving out that a non-trans person portrayed a trans person, as happened with Boys Don't Cry.

I haven't seen that film yous are talking about but gender cross acting was normal once upon a time mainly due to women not being allowed to perform. It's also common in animated stuff. Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan too in the film I'm Not There (havent seen it either)

So at what point does it become unacceptable for an actor to portray a character? Surely it must depend on what the film itself is trying to achieve.

Edit: actually I know where I draw the line - when Tom Cruise plays an Irish man in Far and Away! now THAT's Offensive :D

True. And I don’t know the artistic reasons to cast her. I’m Not There was different as it was a deliberate artistic and thematic choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

IMDb says:
    Director Peter Weir cast Linda Hunt in the role of Billy Kwan, after failing to find an actor who could play the part in the way he wanted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ Simpson - wtf?! Talk about "any black guy will do..."
    Watch Men of Honor instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Jared Leto as the joker can fu*k off

He was awful imo. A friend of mine thought he was good but I can't see it. Worst Joker by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

quickbeam wrote: »
    IMDb says:
    Director Peter Weir cast Linda Hunt in the role of Billy Kwan, after failing to find an actor who could play the part in the way he wanted.
    I was only a teenager when I saw the film first. I had no idea that Billy was played by woman then. A fantastic performance of such a poignant character. The only memorable thing about that film is Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

same school of acting as Lena Headey

What now? She has been consistently one of the best actresses and characters on GOT over the years and arguably one of the few reasons to watch S8

(haven't watched the finalé yet - that's tonight's viewing) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DS Steve Arnott in Line of Duty. Surprised to see three pages go before this...

He is a good actor but its his look he looks like a lad making his communion most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What now? She has been consistently one of the best actresses and characters on GOT over the years and arguably one of the few reasons to watch S8

(haven't watched the finalé yet - that's tonight's viewing) :)

She was also great in the last Dredd movie and the Terminator TV series. For all the many problems the last two series of GOT had, Headey was not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Could be on my own here - Kit Harrington as Jon Snow in Game of Thrones. I thought he was really poor in the latter seasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code plus sequels. Shocking piece of casting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire just didnt work for me. He can be great in certain roles so thats a miscast to me.

Michelle Ryan in remake of Bionic Woman... epic fail there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Genuine screwup... Babylon 5 showrunner wanted Everett McGill from Dune and Twin Peaks for a military role. Ended up with Bruce McGill from MacGyver...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I don't get the current wave of railing against an actor cast in a role that they aren't in real life. e.g. a straight actor playing a gay, trans whatever role.

Hey just maybe they couldn't find a gay, trans, one legged whatever actor good enough or well known enough that a studio would bankroll.

Its called ACTING.

Tom Hanks character in "Sully" should have been played by a real pilot yadda yadda yadda....

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Plastik wrote: »
    I am 100% behind the contribution of Aiden Gillen to this thread. ****ing brutal. Same one brooding look, same flat monotone voice regardless of role. A one trick pony that should have been put down after the first trick.

He wasn't like that at all in Queer as Folk, though. Admittedly, it was yunks ago now, but Gillen was fantastic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Irish94 wrote: »
    Could be on my own here - Kit Harrington as Jon Snow in Game of Thrones. I thought he was really poor in the latter seasons.

I really can't decide whether Harington was miscast or it was just the way the showrunners handled the character. Nothing like the book version, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,834 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ashton Kutcher in Two and a Half Men

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Tom Cruise in Far and Away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Gerard Butler in P.S. I love you.

Irish94 wrote: »

I didn't think much of Emilia Clarke from the get-go and never improved. I never bought her as the alleged charismatic leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

I didn't think much of Emilia Clarke from the get-go and never improved. I never bought her as the alleged charismatic leader.

I would agree up until Season 8. I thought she was the best of the cast this season, albeit she didn't have much competition due to the writing being as poor as it was.

• Advertisement

Maybe a little obscure here, but there has been some very poor casting in Sherlock Holmes TV adaptations over the years.

In Hound of the Baskervilles (2002), probably for co-production reasons, they had an Australian actor Richard Roxburgh as Holmes & Richard E Grant in a supporting role. It should have been obvious to any director that Grant should have been Holmes!

And then there some BBC adaptations with Rupert Everett as Holmes, Everett can be great but he was a poor Holmes, not just in comparison to Jeremy Brett.
    Edward Woodward (The Equalizer) as Holmes was another disappointment in Hands of the Murderer.

Ian Richardson (House of Cards UK) did a good job in his Baskervilles adaptation so I can accept people other than Jeremy Brett as Victoria era Holmes.

Continuing the detective theme, before landing the role of Poirot himself, David Suchet played Inspector Japp in one of the Peter Ustinov adaptations. He said it was the worst job he's ever done and I'd agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Julia Roberts in Michael Collins

It was the strangest Longford accent I ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Donald Trump as President of the USA

When i have the misfortune of watching fair city i despair that this is the level of actors we turn out from our colleges. All acting schools in this country should be banned

Can you name a soap that is known for its high level of acting craft?

I know a good few ex members of fair city cast, and they all took it for the paycheque (as meagre as it was) and moved on when it was time to move on.

Current (within the last 3 years) grads from acting colleges are on the west end, Broadway and touring internationally.

Most acting colleges are focussed on theatre, which is where you'll find the good ones, focussed on a craft.

A lot of actors (and especially the better ones) have no interest in appearing in something like Fair City. They may as well work in a factory for how a show like that treats their craft.

Back on topic

Candice Patton as Iris West in The Flash.

Total guilty pleasure of a show with some completely OTT acting performances, but she is awful and makes the character really dislikeable. Instead of eliciting sympathy, her Iris comes across as being incredibly needy.

Back on topic

Candice Patton as Iris West in The Flash.

Total guilty pleasure of a show with some completely OTT acting performances, but she is awful and makes the character really dislikeable. Instead of eliciting sympathy, her Iris comes across as being incredibly needy.

Totally agree. She's just not good, but the writing definitely did not help here. Iris is being put into that situation by the writers but not helped, at all, by the acting

I'm still salty that Wally (and Isis, by extension) was not a redhead, but Joe was great and Wally really turned up in Legends, as opposed to moping around on Flash.

Edit: Thinking about it Red heads seem to be the sacrifices, when characters are getting race swapped, for comic adaptions.
    Mary Jane: MCU Spiderman
    Jimmy Olsen: Supergirl
    Wally West: Flash (New 52 line comic started and undid this)
    HawkGirl: Legends of Tomorrow (New 52 again)

All a different conversation but I guess I have to admit I understand Asians shouting about whitewashing, if the above bugs me a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Cant agree more with Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher - an absolute joke!!

A couple of additional

Charlie Hunnam & Jude Law in King Arthur (Brutal Film but they didn't help )

Tom Hardy in anything just plays everything as a mumbling mass of muscles

Aaron Taylor Johnson in Kick Ass movies - always kinda glad to see him get a good hidin' in those movies

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

Andie McDowell in the TV series, Cuckoo!! Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭sheroman01

coredev123 wrote: »
    He was absolutely fantastic when he played Charles Haughey in the RTE drama. He nailed it.

He was also brilliant as John-Boy in Love/Hate.

Not doubting his acting but I think this is a perfect case where he really didn't fit the character. He was great in The Wire though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Recently, I was looking forward to the new Narcos season in Mexico. Totally underwhelmed, I just didn't buy Diego Luna (a pretty good actor imo) that much as a menacing cartel guy although the writing of his character didn't help, too.

Now, let's talk about Michael Pena as Kiki Camarena. Of course, if you are around the internets you've got to have heard of his character's name already and his fate.. but the performance was so ehhh for me, damn it felt weird not to feel anything for him at all. Maybe they should've gone for a lesser known actor? Idk, wouldn't pay money anyway for a Pena movie (trying my best to divest from Scietologists hehe) But compared to the "lesser known" actors of Season 2, the Mexico season cast (and writing) was lacklustre.

Advertisement