Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im not sure about their hourly slide along, if gives a false sense of certainty ,for example today im looking for a bright 2 to 3 hour slot today to do some outdoor stuff and every time i check it gives something different. On such a day i'd prefer a general forecast and the weather radar would give me a sense of whats coming.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

silverharp wrote: »
    im not sure about their hourly slide along, if gives a false sense of certainty ,for example today im looking for a bright 2 to 3 hour slot today to do some outdoor stuff and every time i check it gives something different. On such a day i'd prefer a general forecast and the weather radar would give me a sense of whats coming.

Don't take it as accurate either, I was promised sun yesterday 11-1, then 3-4.....no sun until after 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I have to say - having waited a while - that the old android app was much more user friendly.
    I prefer the old radar. I don't see the point in 5 minute intervals. It is a pain in the ass to use the new app.

Edit: Any idea why the Europe visible satellite images don't show the whole of Spain, Italy, etc
    It would seem a necessary thing with many people going on holiday there.

Just forget about the new site and app.
    Bookmark this link on your phone's browser and work from there
    archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Joe Public wrote: »

Was just about to post asking if anyone had a link to that radar.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tis a thing of beauty :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann's site has me set as Derry every time I go into it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

New website is garbage... really is a step back when it comes to user friendliness..
    Oh where is the 3 hour forecast gone..

Don’t ever shut the old website down... so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

New website is garbage... really is a step back when it comes to user friendliness..
    Oh where is the 3 hour forecast gone..

Don’t ever shut the old website down... so much better

How true. I have totally given up on that new website. Using the old one, though outdated, is so much easier and user-friendly.

2ufamuo.jpg

Well, something's not right here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The sooner that ME website goes the way of those electronic voting machines from way back, the better. :pac:

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    The sooner that ME website goes the way of those electronic voting machines from way back, the better. :pac:

I actually quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I do prefer the new site, looks more modern and fresh too me and still has all the same info that I used on the old one but easier for me to find. Oh well I am a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I do prefer the new site, looks more modern and fresh too me and still has all the same info that I used on the old one but easier for me to find. Oh well I am a minority.

Today is June 1st, not April 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Today is June 1st, not April 1st

I realised , shocker that I have a different opinion then other people :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I realised , shocker that I have a different opinion then other people :o

I also like it as it works for me fine on a PC, the forecasts have been very accurate recently but thats my big problem with the site the forecasts are so granular they can't be right all the time.

Might not be the right place to ask but is there a map of weather stations available. Looking at the locations there's none mentioned for Clones now leaving a pretty big area of north Leinster and south Ulster with no data at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Might not be the right place to ask but is there a map of weather stations available. Looking at the locations there's none mentioned for Clones now leaving a pretty big area of north Leinster and south Ulster with no data at all.

Clones closed in 2008. There have been no reports from there since then. It was replaced by Ballyhaise.

All the station locations are available on a click able map on the Current Observations page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I think I know why the new website sets our default station to some random place! I had mine set to Dublin but I clicked on Galway on the rainfall radar to zoom in on a thunderstorm. When I did it, my default station was immediately set to Galway and a circle appeared over the area that I clicked to zoom in.

Sorry if someone else said this, I haven't been following this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Today with the thunderstorms going around I love that they included lightening sferics in the rainfall radar on the new site. But it only shows the last 90 minutes of rainfall activity as appose to 6 hours on the old site archive.met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Not sure where to post this but if anyone is missing the old met eireann rainfall radar there is another app called weather&radar that is similar. Its just as good. Im notvhappy with the new radar in the met app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but if anyone is missing the old met eireann rainfall radar there is another app called weather&radar that is similar. Its just as good. Im notvhappy with the new radar in the met app.

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think I know why the new website sets our default station to some random place! I had mine set to Dublin but I clicked on Galway on the rainfall radar to zoom in on a thunderstorm. When I did it, my default station was immediately set to Galway and a circle appeared over the area that I clicked to zoom in.

Sorry if someone else said this, I haven't been following this thread.

Mine always resets to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I don't like it. It's too much of an overhaul. From the mobile it's poor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I hated it at first and went back to the old page, but getting used to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

It works fine on my computer but the rainfall radar/forcast do not work on my phone. Maybe my phone is too old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

Are we going to be bombarded with black crosses?

453284.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

my3cents wrote: »
    Are we going to be bombarded with black crosses?

ninja stars, take cover!

Two genuine points here....

Firstly the national warnings. I have to go looking for them or I miss them. They were far better placed and more obvious on the old site.

Secondly the weekly weather rainfall graphic, I need to double check this but their doesn't seem to be any consistency in the scale. One day 0.1mm seems to be shown as one height and the following day it seems to be higher. Currently I can see 0.2 mm and 0.3 mm side by side and the scale is all wrong as the 0.2 mm is 3 units high and the 0.3 mm is 4 units high.

• Advertisement

Another anomaly that doesn't add up. There's a decent amount of rainfall forecast for my chosen area next Sunday (5mm in total)as seen when I scroll across the forecast on the home page, yet when I look at the rainfall forecast for that day and step through it no rain shows up.

Advertisement