Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There was a house my parents were looking at in 2011. It was a 3 story house in Howth, which was bought by various developers for 800K to 1.2M.

It was up for sale for 325K, and sold for 315K. Now it was on ruin, but with 150K, you had a great house for cheap enough

They didn't end up buying it, and deeply regret it.

We were looking at a place that was bought for 950K - ended up going for under 100K. The issue is that the site value and the house value are two different things (to home owners vs developers) and ruined houses can be money pits, especially for people without a trade. There are also only so many of these 'opportunities' about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Im seeing a lot of decent properties being advertised around the 290/ 300 mark at the moment, in places like Inchicore, Donneycarney, Fairview, etc. I'm guessing they are going for way over that, one property I was interested in viewing (but didn't in the end) was advertised at 260,000 and went sale agreed for over 400,000 which I'm thinking is fairly representative of the market in those areas right now. Just wondering what people's experience has been in relation to making an offer on properties in these areas, what generally has the mark-up been between the market and sale agreed price for 2/3 bed houses aimed at first time buyers? I haven't started looking in earnest but intend to over the next couple of months and would rather do so with realistic expectations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Im seeing a lot of decent properties being advertised around the 290/ 300 mark at the moment, in places like Inchicore, Donneycarney, Fairview, etc. I'm guessing they are going for way over that, one property I was interested in viewing (but didn't in the end) was advertised at 260,000 and went sale agreed for over 400,000 which I'm thinking is fairly representative of the market in those areas right now. Just wondering what people's experience has been in relation to making an offer on properties in these areas, what generally has the mark-up been between the market and sale agreed price for 2/3 bed houses aimed at first time buyers? I haven't started looking in earnest but intend to over the next couple of months and would rather do so with realistic expectations.

I've begun keeping an eye on it myself, with a view to buying in the next 12-18 months and I've recently seen a 2 bed terraced house in Crumlin with asking of 249,000 sell for 289,000.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- those prices are nutty- I don't like to be evil calling the market an overblown bubble- and indeed, there are plenty of people doing so- but those prices are crazy. If supply ever ramps up- which it is doing incrementally- the only thing property in a lot of these areas have going for them- is location, and in all honesty- while the areas are gentrified to a large extent, they're still far from being the most desirable of areas............

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Guys- those prices are nutty- I don't like to be evil calling the market an overblown bubble- and indeed, there are plenty of people doing so- but those prices are crazy. If supply ever ramps up- which it is doing incrementally- the only thing property in a lot of these areas have going for them- is location, and in all honesty- while the areas are gentrified to a large extent, they're still far from being the most desirable of areas............

Agreed, 40k and 16% over asking for a 2 bed terraced house seems absolutely crazy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

It has gotten a bit crazy alright. However, that supply ramp up is coming on slowly.

The other thing that you have is a whole generation as first time buyers at the same time.
    Anyone who came off age from 2008 onwards are all in the same boat. Settled in jobs and fed up of renting. You've first time buyers ranging from mid 20s to late 30s.

Three things I learned from the bust was
    1. Buy somewhere that your happy living in long term. If worse comes to worst and you can't move to your dream house, at least you're somewhere you're happy raising a family in.
    2. When the crash happens, there's a strong chance you won't get a mortgage. Markets are cyclical, property prices will fall, just figuring out when is always the difficult part. Many people who decided to wait, found themselves either unemployed or in a situation where the banks weren't happy to lend.
    3. It's extremely difficult for repossessions to happen.

I can understand completely though why people are paying lots of money for these properties. If they're 35, have kids of school going age, they need stability. If they buy and let's say there mortgage is 1000 a month for the next 30 years, they have stability.
    If they're renting, they could be given notice to leave from a fed up landlord selling up. They're paying 1000 a month as well, but they don't have stability.

My only issue with this is where are they going to put this supply.

The Development at Ringsend is going to be apartments - and they'll be expensive.

Docklands - Apartments and they'll be eye wateringly expensive as they were previously.

Portmarnock/Swords - great but not everyone want to rely on the DART/Bus or live that far out.

I'm not overly familiar with South Dublin but I can't imagine there is going to be huge banks of land out there.

D15 is already an example of what happens when you over subscribe an area for housing and don't put in proper transport links.

I expect to see inner Dublin areas like D5/D8/D12 continue to gentrify and prices continue to rise although I do agree they are due a correction as there is a definite bubble going on, but it will be temporary pain if the economy continues to grow and Dublin expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The Development at Ringsend is going to be apartments - and they'll be expensive.

Docklands - Apartments and they'll be eye wateringly expensive as they were previously.

What kind of price do people expect for the Ringsend / Dockland apartments?

Bob24 wrote: »
    What kind of price do people expect for the Ringsend / Dockland apartments?

Going to have to back pedal a bit and say I assumed they were going to be apartments - actually doing some googling I'm not not so sure. However there is 3000 units going in and between 300-1000 of them will be social housing. I'm thinking much closer to 300, the 30% seems a bit of a pipe dream.

Pricewise I'd expect around 200K minimum for a one bed, 300K for a two bed and more for any houses. Docklands 2 beds - although they were big were coming in around 500K during the last boom, so possibly 450ish.

Going to have to back pedal a bit and say I assumed they were going to be apartments - actually doing some googling I'm not not so sure. However there is 3000 units going in and between 300-1000 of them will be social housing. I'm thinking much closer to 300, the 30% seems a bit of a pipe dream.

Pricewise I'd expect around 200K minimum for a one bed, 300K for a two bed and more for any houses. Docklands 2 beds - although they were big were coming in around 500K during the last boom, so possibly 450ish.

I really have no clue but I was expecting you would give higher figures.

I haven't followed the market closely but my impression is that decent 2 beds in be newer developments of Grand Canal Docks are currently going for at least 400k second hand. I am assuming new ones will have some kind of premium and second hand prices will have increased by the time they are completed?

Mind you ... I am not saying it would be good value for money. Just wondering how mad things have gone.

• Advertisement

The mix of social housing should keep the prices in check with any luck. A bloody good reason to do mixed developments in of it self IMHO.

However take my suggestions with the massive pinch of salt, they're pure guess work. The only thing I would say is GCD is more desirable than rings end and closer to the DART.

I really have no clue but I was expecting you would give higher figures.

I haven't followed the market closely but my impression is that decent 2 beds in be newer developments of Grand Canal Docks are currently going for at least 400k second hand. I am assuming new ones will have some kind of premium and second hand prices will have increased by the time they are completed?

Mind you ... I am not saying it would be good value for money. Just wondering how mad things have gone.

Keep in mind the whole area has been designated as deprived- to the extent that the local national school (St. Mary's) is classified as a Deise school- so if you're putting 300 social housing units in there- even alongside 2000+ other properties- wholly aside from its proximity to Baggot Street/Ballsbridge- they will dampen possible prices (and this is regardless of the prices of the pre-existing housing stock in the area).

It is a designated area of deprivation- though its quite a funny area- you have millionaires and paupers with nothing to their names- living side by side.

Keep in mind the whole area has been designated as deprived- to the extent that the local national school (St. Mary's) is classified as a Deise school- so if you're putting 300 social housing units in there- even alongside 2000+ other properties- wholly aside from its proximity to Baggot Street/Ballsbridge- they will dampen possible prices (and this is regardless of the prices of the pre-existing housing stock in the area).

It is a designated area of deprivation- though its quite a funny area- you have millionaires and paupers with nothing to their names- living side by side.

The Docklands though? Definitely agreed there is a strange social mix in the area - but with plenty of highly paid jobs and many young professionals who are ready to spend a large chunk of their income in housing expenses to live within a few minutes from their office, apartments will get rented instantly and for very high rents. I might be wrong but I think this will sound very attractive to investors and push the prices of new units to the roof.

Actually I think I saw that apartments in what seems like the largest development - capital docks - won't even go for sale and will be retained by an investment fund for rental.

Actually I think I saw before that apartments in what seems like the largest development - capital docks - won't even go for sale and will be retained y an investment fund for rental.

I hate to see this happening- its becoming more and more common though....... :mad:

How are 300 social units going to fit into the equation? The rule is they can't all be in the one block- they have to be scattered throughout- so it doesn't really add-up?

I hate to see this happening- its becoming more and more common though....... :mad:

How are 300 social units going to fit into the equation? The rule is they can't all be in the one block- they have to be scattered throughout- so it doesn't really add-up?

Sounds completely counter-productive to me as well.

This is what I was mentioning: http://capitaldock.ie/living.php

Kennedy Wilson is one of Dublin’s most important landlords with six premium city apartment schemes. Capital Dock occupiers will also get to offer employees privileged access to these rental properties.

So if I get it right the developer will retain the whole development including residential units, and rent them in priority to employees of companies occupying office spaces. Total privatisation of the rental units by a single owner, which not only won't go to the open market for sale, but possibly not even for rental!

Yes, Bob- you've got it in a nutshell.......

I honestly don't see how or why this should countenanced or allowed.

If employment status makes it into the legislation specifically - it could be an interesting one. However this is only logical given the problem faced in Dublin. Work for us and you can get somewhere to live - it's also a taste of whats coming if (more like when) us 'crack of the arse' (as I was amsusingly called) paddy property investor landlords are finally driven out of the market.

Want to rent in Dublin, well great no problem as long as you works for one of about a dozen companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah this seems like a dystopian prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

These wholly-owned rental buildings have been around for a while to some extent (a good few showed up during the crash as selling apartments became almost impossible). When I was renting I was in one for a while; definitely my best experience of renting, in that the management was competent, fixed things reasonably quickly, getting the deposit back was no problem, and generally none of the problems that come with amateur landlords.

From a longer-term sustainability point of view, there should also be no trouble with landlords not paying management fees etc, which does reputedly happen a fair bit and causes trouble for management companies.

Obviously, there are great single–property/small number of properties landlords out there, but it's really luck of the draw; you've no idea what you're getting til you move in. If this model becomes more popular, then the companies will build up reputations, and you'll at least have a good idea that renting with company X you don't have to worry about the heating not getting fixed for a month or whatever.

Got to say, if I was renting today I'd be inclined to go with one of the whole-building outfits. Obviously, in the current severely supply-constrained market there's opportunity for bad behaviour by them, but that's also true for private landlords.

On the priority access to employees of specific companies thing, I think that happens already to an extent, also. At one point when I was viewing a place to rent, I was asked if I worked for one of two large employers in the area; when I said I didn't, the estate agent more or less gave up on me. Not sure what was happening there; possibly a deal with the estate agent... IMO any priority access based on employer should be legislated against.

One massive downside- from the perspective of a tax paying Irish citizen- is the companies who own these developments- do so in such a manner that they pay little if any tax- versus an Irish landlord- who pays up to 54% tax. Its well and good complimenting them on how well they look after the place- hell, I'd have Dublin looking like no city on the planet if I owed it, and could invest significant sums in it- without ever paying tax.

The inequitable tax treatment and the abuse of charitable statuses- really needs to be critically looked at. Personally- I think all residential landlords should pay a set percentage of their gross rental income straight- with no allowable deductions whatsoever- to the Revenue Commissioners- set it at whatever percentage you like- but make it patently obvious and equitable to all- and hell, perhaps even tenants might appreciate whats happening.

We have over 40 billion of Irish assets in the hands of various funds- it is a travesty that we are not making them pay their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Presumably the private landlords could incorporate, in principle, and benefit from more favourable tax treatment. Of course, they'd still be taxed heavily on _removing_ money from the company (as salary or dividend or whatever), but that's presumably the same for the companies developing these buildings.

A flat tax on gross rent would make things very difficult for landlords with heavily mortgaged properties, I'd have thought, unless it was very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The other thing that you have is a whole generation as first time buyers at the same time.
    Anyone who came off age from 2008 onwards are all in the same boat. Settled in jobs and fed up of renting. You've first time buyers ranging from mid 20s to late 30s.

This is a good point that is rarely brought up. It's one of the reasons why the CBI's shift in the FTB rules has been such an accelerant.

rsynnott wrote: »
    These wholly-owned rental buildings have been around for a while to some extent (a good few showed up during the crash as selling apartments became almost impossible). When I was renting I was in one for a while; definitely my best experience of renting, in that the management was competent, fixed things reasonably quickly, getting the deposit back was no problem, and generally none of the problems that come with amateur landlords.

From a longer-term sustainability point of view, there should also be no trouble with landlords not paying management fees etc, which does reputedly happen a fair bit and causes trouble for management companies.

Obviously, there are great single–property/small number of properties landlords out there, but it's really luck of the draw; you've no idea what you're getting til you move in. If this model becomes more popular, then the companies will build up reputations, and you'll at least have a good idea that renting with company X you don't have to worry about the heating not getting fixed for a month or whatever.

Got to say, if I was renting today I'd be inclined to go with one of the whole-building outfits. Obviously, in the current severely supply-constrained market there's opportunity for bad behaviour by them, but that's also true for private landlords.

On the priority access to employees of specific companies thing, I think that happens already to an extent, also. At one point when I was viewing a place to rent, I was asked if I worked for one of two large employers in the area; when I said I didn't, the estate agent more or less gave up on me. Not sure what was happening there; possibly a deal with the estate agent... IMO any priority access based on employer should be legislated against.

In this case it is being pushed one step further though: the website is hinting at the fact that those units will be formally privatised for employees of certain partner companies.

I really don't think segregating the rental market like this will go well in the context of a housing crisis. Basically this is a bit like the luxury flip side of the same coin as dorms for factory workers in China: an economy whereby the only way to fulfil such a vital need as housing has to rely on the goodwill of you employer providing it for you (i.e. if you work for the wrong employer you're screwed and this gives employers a lot more leverage on employees).

And that is not to mention the tax distortion issue The Conductor alluded to, as well as the fact that letting large corporations control a large number of housing units in an area gives them a lot of control on the rental market and prevents people who could otherwise afford it from becoming owner-occupiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

One massive downside- from the perspective of a tax paying Irish citizen- is the companies who own these developments- do so in such a manner that they pay little if any tax- versus an Irish landlord- who pays up to 54% tax. Its well and good complimenting them on how well they look after the place- hell, I'd have Dublin looking like no city on the planet if I owed it, and could invest significant sums in it- without ever paying tax.

The inequitable tax treatment and the abuse of charitable statuses- really needs to be critically looked at. Personally- I think all residential landlords should pay a set percentage of their gross rental income straight- with no allowable deductions whatsoever- to the Revenue Commissioners- set it at whatever percentage you like- but make it patently obvious and equitable to all- and hell, perhaps even tenants might appreciate whats happening.

We have over 40 billion of Irish assets in the hands of various funds- it is a travesty that we are not making them pay their way.

You are comparing corporate tax to personal tax.

Presumably the private landlords could incorporate, in principle, and benefit from more favourable tax treatment. Of course, they'd still be taxed heavily on _removing_ money from the company (as salary or dividend or whatever), but that's presumably the same for the companies developing these buildings.

A flat tax on gross rent would make things very difficult for landlords with heavily mortgaged properties, I'd have thought, unless it was very low.

It's very difficult to incorporate due to the loans involved.

A lot of these companies are borrowing money on the open market at low rates- and then lending it to a third vehicle- to buy/manage the development- at a vastly inflated rate- so they effectively have a ginormous annual loss- and no tax to pay. Its how many corporate transactions are structured- such as the purchase of the National Lottery by the Ontario Teachers Pension fund for example- they lent a freestanding Irish company the money the buy the lottery @ 13% interest- so it wouldn't make a profit, and they can mop up @ 13% interest ad-infinitum. Its also what broke Telecom Eireann so many times over.

This is why I think residential lettings should be treated in a wholly different manner to other business types- and a straight line deduction of gross rental income occur- rather than a tax on 'profits' which are subject to manipulation particularly by these funds and corporations (and thats wholly ignoring the manner in which so many of them try to call themselves 'charities').

Charge a set percentage of the gross rental income- be fair- get everyone to pay tax- and leverage all the Irish assets that got accumulated by these funds- often via NAMA, over the past decade.

Personal taxation is a massive handbrake on the Irish economy- and *needs* to be addressed- as is the lack of housing. We need a coordinated approach to get a reasonable level of housing in locations where people want to live- and at prices they can afford- onstream- in a manner that helps the Irish exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

So just heard Pat Kenny talking about those new houses in Portmarnock that sold out (people were queing) at €430,000.
    Allready some are up for rent at €2,500 per month.

Can't believe this **** is happening again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

So just heard Pat Kenny talking about those new houses in Portmarnock that sold out (people were queing) at €430,000.

And?

Where are people meant to rent? Buy, or to connaught?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I saw one of those ads. Available immediately apparently. Yet the houses are not. It's still a building site.
    This is either a scam or canny marketing. (I suspect the latter, building hype)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

You are comparing corporate tax to personal tax.

Corporation tax on non-trading income is 25% and there's also a close company surcharge of 20% on undistributed investment and rental income, so realistically they'll only be marginally better off provided they keep the profit in the company. If they plan to withdraw funds and then pay personal tax on drawings they'll actually be much worse off.

The issue is that these large investment funds have access to very favourable tax arrangements that smaller landlords and property companies can't avail of.

Advertisement