Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hardman route would probably make a pretty sweet big race actually.

Never mind that you've been conspicuous in your absence from Twitter convo, what's the story? Pre reg expected to close before Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AKW wrote: »
    Never mind that you've been conspicuous in your absence from Twitter convo, what's the story? Pre reg expected to close before Monday.

I pre-regged...but, Irish summers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    There are already IM distance races in ireland, just not with the razzmatazz of IM or Challenge branding. If it wasn't for Hardman Challenge Ireland wouldn't have had to settle for Galway over Kerry ;)

Ya and I still think Killarney would have been the best bet for one of these branded events, they should have bought them off. A better than average chance of good weather - A swim in one of the lakes, an iconic bike ride and a run through the national park. Plenty of accommodation in Killarney and Kerry have a history of getting behind these tourist events that the rest of the country sometimes lacks.

Tony Daley - no wonder we are seeing all the junior events :D I would have preferred myself if Challenge just concentrated on the main event only - do they do Olympic, kids races in any other challenge event

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    Ya and I still think Killarney would have been the best bet for one of these branded events, they should have bought them off. A better than average chance of good weather - A swim in one of the lakes, an iconic bike ride and a run through the national park. Plenty of accommodation in Killarney and Kerry have a history of getting behind these tourist events that the rest of the country sometimes lacks.

Tony Daley - no wonder we are seeing all the junior events :D I would have preferred myself if Challenge just concentrated on the main event only - do they do Olympic, kids races in any other challenge event

Kids races yes. Olympics no.

Duck8 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm trying to plan one for next year and I don't want to sign up to one if Dublin comes along. Dublin would be much easier on travel for the family

A full distance ironman won't happen in county Dublin in my opinion.

Given what I'm hearing about bike routes and county councils I may yet be getting €50 from Peter

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »

Cater for the real triathletes?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChallengeGalwayGroup/

Facebook group for anyone looking for local insights to the area, course, places to shop ;) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Olympics yes.

mrbungle wrote: »
    Olympics yes.

Which ones have Olympics?

Which ones have Olympics?

Roth doesn't.

• Advertisement

Ah you are talking about the stand alone Olympic distances. Not cramming an Olympic on the same weekend as an iron distance

I think folks should not underestimate how difficult this course could be with climbing, wind, rain and God know what else the West could and will throw at you. I've done the last 2 IMSA on the new course with a similar profile, nasty nasty coastal wind, ****ty roads, just warmer air temperature, ocean with sharks also.
    Judging by the conditions of the 2 IM 70.3 in Salthill, (I know full distance is not supposed to be easy) but this could be a day from hell.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We don't do it cos its easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Peter - I've not given you the €50 yet for a reason.

When the event happens it happens. Until then.........

I guess you are either being dishonest or senile

it might help you to read the bet you agreed

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter kern View Post
    Ironman, i would guess, has a fair idea what the convertion rate of people registering and people and entering is and which races they need to promote.

I would bet 50 euro that dublin sells out in 1 day

I would also bet 20 euro that Pula will be one of the last 3 european races from the IM brand to sell out.
    I will take that bet Peter.

€50 that 24 hours and 1 minute after opening there are still slots. Agreed?
    So... has the pre entry officially sold out then? Who will be the official adjudicator between Peter and Tunney?
    If someone, located anywhere, can enter 24 hours after entry opens..............

So if my cousin in France can enter this on Wednesday Peter loses

Makes sense to restrict the ROI entries, if only ROI demand for the race it ends in Year two. Smart making sure there is an international flavour. May make it long term viable

so this was the bet
    you can repeat lieing aoubt the bet but lieing for the 50th time aobut it dosnt make you right and there was not mention if race happens or not it was only about selling out
    changing the goal post after a bet is simply dishonest.

btw bet is on page 32 in the dublin thread

peter kern wrote: »
    I guess you are either being dishonest or senile

it might help you to read the bet you agreed

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter kern View Post
    Ironman, i would guess, has a fair idea what the convertion rate of people registering and people and entering is and which races they need to promote.

I would bet 50 euro that dublin sells out in 1 day

I would also bet 20 euro that Pula will be one of the last 3 european races from the IM brand to sell out.
    I will take that bet Peter.

€50 that 24 hours and 1 minute after opening there are still slots. Agreed?
    So... has the pre entry officially sold out then? Who will be the official adjudicator between Peter and Tunney?
    If someone, located anywhere, can enter 24 hours after entry opens..............

So if my cousin in France can enter this on Wednesday Peter loses

Makes sense to restrict the ROI entries, if only ROI demand for the race it ends in Year two. Smart making sure there is an international flavour. May make it long term viable

so this was the bet
    you can repeat lieing aoubt the bet but lieing for the 50th time aobut it dosnt make you right and there was not mention if race happens or not it was only about selling out
    changing the goal post after a bet is simply dishonest.

btw bet is on page 32 in the dublin thread

Damn it. You are right.
    I innocently confused the two arguments.

I'll give Darren the money this week to give you go on Friday swims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

So what are peoples opinions on the bike course?
    Was seriously thinking about IM Austria for 2016 which is on the same day as Galway.
    Challenge Galway is very tempting now but purely from a financial perspective.
    I did Challenge Roth last year & while it was a fantastic experience, I thought the organisation could have been better.

PWEI wrote: »
    So what are peoples opinions on the bike course?
    Was seriously thinking about IM Austria for 2016 which is on the same day as Galway.
    Challenge Galway is very tempting now but purely from a financial perspective.
    I did Challenge Roth last year & while it was a fantastic experience, I thought the organisation could have been better.

What do you want to know?

It's a proper challenging bike course that will leave you to the start of the run in a gibbering heap! ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

It's a proper challenging bike course that will leave you to the start of the run in a gibbering heap! ! :)

Which sort of bike is most suitable, TT or roadbike?

pot p wrote: »
    Which sort of bike is most suitable, TT or roadbike?

Oh a TT bike is fine. There are some great fast bits, some technical bits and plenty of lumps & bumps.

A road bike will do too. I know I gotta work on my climbing on the TT gearing as I'd prefer the road gears at the moment.

• Advertisement

Oh a TT bike is fine. There are some great fast bits, some technical bits and plenty of lumps & bumps.

A road bike will do too. I know I gotta work on my climbing on the TT gearing as I'd prefer the road gears at the moment.

Just change over your cassete!

Just change over your cassete!

There's a 3x9 on the roadie :o and 2 x 10 on the TT with 53/39 drive.

Could swap the 25 out alright at the low end.

Or I could just train... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

In terms of hills & elevation is it comparable to IM UK or more a Frankfurt type course? I'm on holidays at the moment with very poor Wi-Fi so haven't had a chance to look at it.

PWEI wrote: »
    In terms of hills & elevation is it comparable to IM UK or more a Frankfurt type course? I'm on holidays at the moment with very poor Wi-Fi so haven't had a chance to look at it.

Road surface..... Rolling resistance........

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Who's in?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I'm in. It is going to be a long year. I've never signed up for a race so early. I'll enjoy the summer and finish out my sprint and Olympic distance races. A lot of work needed on the bike. That will be my biggest struggle and I guess the run as well after that distance on the bike.

Looking forward to it though. No extra pies at xmas

Myself and Mrs AKW are in. Going to be an interesting winter and spring :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This sucker was parted from their cash as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

What build-up races are people looking to do?

should be looking at a half at the end of april/start of May...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

kierank01 wrote: »
    What build-up races are people looking to do?

should be looking at a half at the end of april/start of May...

Lisbon probably the best bet.

Advertisement