Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cow mats - what to buy?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see a few people have recommended cow mats as lifting platforms.

But there seems to be a fair few different variations of cow mats...

Can anyone recommend what sort of cow mat I should buy? How thick should I get it? And where can I buy them?

Are they very spongy? I generally like to dead lift without shoes so I don't want to be sinking into it every time I lift!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

.ak wrote: »
    I see a few people have recommended cow mats as lifting platforms.

But there seems to be a fair few different variations of cow mats...

Can anyone recommend what sort of cow mat I should buy? How thick should I get it? And where can I buy them?

Are they very spongy? I generally like to dead lift without shoes so I don't want to be sinking into it every time I lift!

there are many different types. buy a rigid one, cut it lenghtwise down the middle, spread the two rubbers out about 3 foot and build up the middle section with plywood, allowing your feet a solid platform

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Which ones are the rigid ones? And where do you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

These are the ones I got.

http://www.abbeylawn.net/category/rubber-products/horse-stable-walker-mats/

They weigh a ton and are bomb proof.
    Fine to deadlift on in bare feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

dont know what model mine is, but they are made by cow comfort. I bought in a local farm suppliers, go to your nearest co-op and take a look. There are some that are foam types, these compress easily, the others are rubber types and are very solid, these will do nicely

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    These are the ones I got.

http://www.abbeylawn.net/category/rubber-products/horse-stable-walker-mats/

They weigh a ton and are bomb proof.
    Fine to deadlift on in bare feet.

Cool think this is what I'm looking for exactly! Cheers I'll drop them a mail now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

d8 fitness are doing square rubber mats at about the same price on a metre to metre coverage and if I was buying again I'd go with them.

The cow mats STINK and are a frickin' night mare to keep clean.

With regards to deadlifting on em, build a platform;

http://www.gryphon-sc.com/Images/PlatformConstructionAnimation.gif

..or similar

Yeah might build something like that in the future but right now I don't do a massive amount of power lifts so I virtually never drop my weights. However the platform I've built is made from mdf (got it free!) so I just wanted something basic to protect it as mdf is fairly easily damaged.

Also how do mean they're hard to keep clean?

Yeah might build something like that in the future but right now I don't do a massive amount of power lifts so I virtually never drop my weights. However the platform I've built is made from mdf (got it free!) so I just wanted something basic to protect it as mdf is fairly easily damaged.

Also how do mean they're hard to keep clean?

When they get dirty, they're hard to clean back to their original condition.

Each time leaving them a bit dirtier. Which over time leads to "clean" really being "still kinda manky".

But may not be as much of an issue in a low traffic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

20150506_143149.jpg

Heres a picture of my gym with cow mats. I think theyre a great job would defo buy again.

• Advertisement

Good looking gym! Where did you pick up your mats dor843088?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Good looking gym! Where did you pick up your mats dor843088?

Pretty sure it was a place called crumbrubber.ie . 40 euro a piece . Ask for completely flat ones if they have them . Mine have a design on one side making them not ideal for squatting on but I just use a piece of ply wood to stand on so no biggie. These are very tough and I think weigh 40kg each or something.

Ah yeah was gonna ask what the wood was for.

Think I'm gonna leave the wood bare under my rack and just line up the mats around it where I'll be dropping weights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

@Hanley Whats the best value plywood to use for this platform and what size should the platform be for doing cleans

rigmaroll wrote: »
    @Hanley Whats the best value plywood to use for this platform and what size should the platform be for doing cleans

No idea what value.

Size wise... 2m x 2m is probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Standard sheets of ply would be 2.4 X 1.2. Change out of 30 for a sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just to add, you'd be looking at 5 sheets

Advertisement