Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Tri-Athy News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

plee wrote: »

I see from the Tri Athy website that they are up to 830 entries from last night and wonder who's in charge now- Is it still with Lynch & Lang?

Also, any news on the Swim Athy or Stone Mad Ultra which all take place in Athy?

At least the Athy Duathlon - which is organised by the local Triathlon Club appears to be taking place tomorrow Sunday!

The Narraghmore Duathlon is going ahead tomorrow and it is organised by Athy Triathlon club but as far as I am aware TriAthy and the Athy Triathlon club are completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

TheBazman wrote: »
    The Narraghmore Duathlon is going ahead tomorrow and it is organised by Athy Triathlon club but as far as I am aware TriAthy and the Athy Triathlon club are completely separate.

Yes, most definitely separate entities!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭shansey

Are we sure this is going ahead?

I have been toying with the idea of entering.. second season of tri and my attempts at a standard distance last year were thwarted by a poorly timed chest infection.

Is athy good race??

Any particularly tough sections??

Anyone got any feed back on this?

Worth doing? Nice bike/swim/run sections?

Is it still going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭joey100

Done it a few times now. Good atmosphere and closed roads but if your doing the sprint it's a long wait around. Swim is nice course, bike is ok for the majority, few roads bit narrow and not in best condition but overall a decent course. The run course I wouldn't be a fan of, along the river bank and it tends to be narrow and over grown with people running both directions. Easy to get stuck behind people, surprised no one has ended up in the river yet. Think I seen though that there is a new run course this year so that's all open to change.

I had been thinking about doing it this year but after the news about it recently I'm going to give it a miss. Not enough concrete info on it for me.

I know it's a small thing but it must be the worst goodie bag I have ever got at a race. The t shirt was an optional extra, But pretty sure there was no real difference between it and any other Olympic distance race I entered last year either. Last thing, if you do win any prizes be prepared to wait for them, won one one year and didn't receive it until October of the same year. Even accused me of getting it and spending it and looking for another (was a gift voucher so was easily checked).

• Advertisement

Good reply Joey!

I want to knock out an oly early in the year and this one suits..

Lough cutra is on a sunday and just seems awkward and expensive.

Worst goodie bag ever was king of the hill last year.. no t shirt.. and actually no food after either..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Can't remember which race I was at a few years ago and I got a half dozen eggs in a bag.

Wasn't sure whether we were to use them as an anti-drafting offensive or what :D

Think its sold out now so that solves that..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AKW wrote: »
    Can't remember which race I was at a few years ago and I got a half dozen eggs in a bag.

Wasn't sure whether we were to use them as an anti-drafting offensive or what :D

That was Athy alright. Best goodie bag EVER!!! Two other people gave me their eggs too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

joey100 wrote: »
    Done it a few times now. Good atmosphere and closed roads but if your doing the sprint it's a long wait around. Swim is nice course, bike is ok for the majority, few roads bit narrow and not in best condition but overall a decent course. The run course I wouldn't be a fan of, along the river bank and it tends to be narrow and over grown with people running both directions. Easy to get stuck behind people, surprised no one has ended up in the river yet. Think I seen though that there is a new run course this year so that's all open to change.

It wasn't me, but it has happened.

• Advertisement

Every time I've done the race I've seen someone come close, good to know it's been done though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

shansey wrote: »
    Think its sold out now so that solves that..

:confused: no its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I love doing Athy to get the summer started, but I hate the run.
    The swim is nice, and the bike is a nice route, with one or 2 narrow sections.
    But the run is always a nightmare for me.

The goodie bag isn't great, but the curry afterwards, and the bottles of alcohol free erdinger were good last year.

I did have a pair of runners nicked from the swim start though. Contacted the organisers but heard nothing back. So if you're doing it, I wouldn't leave anything valuable at the swim start (which probably goes without saying anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That was Athy alright. Best goodie bag EVER!!! Two other people gave me their eggs too :cool:

Hope you made cakes with all those eggs!!

:confused: no its not.

ok i went in again.. dunno why it told me they were all sold out the first time..

Im in now so thats that..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

thejaguar wrote: »
    I love doing Athy to get the summer started, but I hate the run.
    The swim is nice, and the bike is a nice route, with one or 2 narrow sections.
    But the run is always a nightmare for me.

I did the Olympic last year, hated the run. But according to their Facebook they're coming up with a new run route this year. I've no idea how different it'll be but I'll be happy with it changing.

Signed up for the Sprint this year (as it's NS) even though I'll have to wait around all day for it to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I'll have to wait around all day for it to start.

I am not sure if this will be the case. Last year I thought the sprint was run later in the day but that allowed people to put their bikes into transition after the standard distance race so they didn't have to hand around all day.

cart man wrote: »
    I am not sure if this will be the case. Last year I thought the sprint was run later in the day but that allowed people to put their bikes into transition after the standard distance race so they didn't have to hand around all day.

Yes,

Registration for the sprint opens later in the day and transition opens when the olympic is finished, all bikes etc have been removed and the area has been cleaned.

The sprint was an afternoon race last year so no need to be down in the morning.

I meant the weirdness of racing in the afternoon rather than the morning. It's pretty foreign to me and it's strange having to factor in lunch into my pre-race eating schedule, for example. Nothing major, just something I'm not used to!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cart man wrote: »

the year i did the sprint i was in the last wave, didn't go off till 6.30 in the evening. even getting to put my bike in after lunch, i was pretty much hanging around all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Tempted to sign up for the Olympic but will need to do it all in one day meaning an hour and a half drive in the morning to registration and then home again later after the race.
    Anyone think this is daft bearing in mind I'll be using it as an early season warmer upper so not majorly concerned with a great time, just getting back into a feel for things ?

Tempted to sign up for the Olympic but will need to do it all in one day meaning an hour and a half drive in the morning to registration and then home again later after the race.
    Anyone think this is daft bearing in mind I'll be using it as an early season warmer upper so not majorly concerned with a great time, just getting back into a feel for things ?

Are you based in Arklow? I'm in Greystones, drove to Athy in the morning last year (with my brekkie in the car), registered, racked my bike early (not numbered), re-racked my bike when I realised what direction the transition actually worked in... :o Did the Olympic, had the post-race curry, was home mid-afternoon at the latest.

Any time I've done it I drive down the morning from Dublin and back after the race. Found it grand, most of the races I'd do I'd drive down and back in same day.

Cheers hamstervision. Yes, coming from Arklow so not afraid of a bit of a drive :)
    It's on the calendar so, now all I need is to come up with a cover story for the better half.......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im hopefully doing the double, travelling there and back on the day. I prefer it to staying over somewhere.

Cheers hamstervision. Yes, coming from Arklow so not afraid of a bit of a drive :)
    It's on the calendar so, now all I need is to come up with a cover story for the better half.......

i just tell her i'm having an affair.. much easier..

shansey wrote: »
    ok i went in again.. dunno why it told me they were all sold out the first time..

Im in now so thats that..

The early bird is sold out. That threw me too cos it looks like the race is sold out totally

mossym wrote: »
    the year i did the sprint i was in the last wave, didn't go off till 6.30 in the evening. even getting to put my bike in after lunch, i was pretty much hanging around all day.

Transition opened at 3pm so from transition opening to you hitting the water was 3.5 hrs ( this is if you were there just when it opened ).

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Transition opened at 3pm so from transition opening to you hitting the water was 3.5 hrs ( this is if you were there just when it opened ).

The only thing that with this year the Sprint being NS (and Super Series) they might change things a bit. The Sprint may become the bigger race on the day. It seems that entries in to date are indicating this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

so at 3.5 hours is longer than any other race i've done, including HIM/foreign races. Plus had to register before that, we had time to grab lunch between registration and transition opening

i'm not sure what your point is anyway. are you trying to tell me that my perception that i was waiting around all day to race is wrong? that's impressive. race organisers knowing how their customers(which is what they are after all) felt better than they know themselves.

i would never do the sprint in athy again as long as it is in the afternoon as it's a disaster logistically. getting your bike out of transition after 8pm with still the drive home to do doesn't appeal to me. i'd do the morning races no problem, the run isn't great, but it looks like that may be addressed, and other races are bad as well.

the late sprint starts though, no thanks.

Advertisement