Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkee 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I'M IN! :) Delighted I can plan now for the National Olympic Champs 2014 :)

Tri An Mhi will have to wait!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

see you there, got my entry too. i reckon everyone did, as they said would happen. or at least i hope so

delighted, it was one of my two big goals for the year, and would have been a real kick in the teeth to miss it, especially being a stout clare man. looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just got mine there a minute ago.
    Delighted as I have it. Marshalled last year and will race if in the country in the summer.
    Think it will be as organisers said and anyone who pre registers will get an entry

Entered and paid up now :)

Entry List here

spotted another one or two(trig1 at least) on the list as well from here signed up. looks like agood boards contingent heading to kilkee for this.

Dare i suggest a post race boards meet up for a beverage of choice in one of Kilkee's fine establishments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

mossym wrote: »
    spotted another one or two(trig1 at least) on the list as well from here signed up. looks like agood boards contingent heading to kilkee for this.

Dare i suggest a post race boards meet up for a beverage of choice in one of Kilkee's fine establishments?

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe some of the western boardsies who normally go home might stay down for a session...no pressure pgibbo :pac:

in fairness, i reckon anyone who hadn't gotten a slot would have been on now to complain. Facebook page also says everyone who pre-registered got a slot. so looks like Limerick Tri Club were true to their word when they said all would get in. They faced some complaints when it was announced but for now it appears they came good

Big time! Planning on a bit of downtime after Kilkee anyway so may as well kick it off there and then continue it it Marley Park the next day - Arcade Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Big time! Planning on a bit of downtime after Kilkee anyway so may as well kick it off there and then continue it it Marley Park the next day - Arcade Fire.

I like your thinking ElD, I'll be following a similar path.

I had an issue where I got kicked out of paying before it was complete and when I went back my code wouldnt work but got in touch with limerick tri and they've said they'll sort it out and i'm in. Very prompt as well, fair play, i'm sure its a busy day for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Entry done.

I swear I will get this race right at the 3rd time of asking.
    It's beaten me up each time so far.

I will be living in the sea come summer in prep!

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Entry done.

I swear I will get this race right at the 3rd time of asking.
    It's beaten me up each time so far.

I will be living in the sea come summer in prep!

Living in the sea or living in the Atlantic? I believe there to be a difference! One or two weekends in the west with wetsuit and bike in tow -highly recommended! Loads of western boardies will be delighted to put you up Fazz!

Oh BTW some might say a top 10 Kilkee finish is kind of special so don't be too hard on yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'm in as well. Hopefully two and a half months will be enough to get my biking up to speed.

Living in the sea or living in the Atlantic? I believe there to be a difference! One or two weekends in the west with wetsuit and bike in tow -highly recommended! Loads of western boardies will be delighted to put you up Fazz!

Oh BTW some might say a top 10 Kilkee finish is kind of special so don't be too hard on yourself!

You're right, defo be doing a pre race training day down there in that bay and hoping for choppy seas as they are defo.a different kettle of fish!

Top 10 or any place wouldn't bother me, it's just the fact not getting a discipline right and leaving time on the board that I really don't like.

Training day in hell to be confirmed so... maybe a group day out!?

I'd be up for that, if I can throw my name in the hat.

zico10 wrote: »
    I'd be up for that, if I can throw my name in the hat.

Absolutely all welcome.

not quite as western as some of these connaught guys but probably closer to kilkee, just over an hour, let me know whenever you want to do it Fazz and we'llsort something out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Yes I'm in also for all, ie.... for HOTW,, for drinks that night and for training day beforehand (privided i'm not working!!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All registered up. I hope a spin in early march and one other bike between will be enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

All registered up. I hope a spin in early march and one other bike between will be enough. :)

Early march? Be careful now, you want to leave plenty of time to taper.

Anyone know if there has been any talk of changing the wave formations in Kilkee this year.

Traditionally its been
    Wave 1 Males under 40
    Wave 2 Males over 40 & Female

Saying this from a totally selfish point in view as i turn the big four zero in July and cant come to terms with going in Wave 2 :p
    What do people think on the current setup?
    In saying that have seen 40 yr olds in Wave 1 but am sure they have received special dispensation...ie Trevor Woods this yr.
    With it being the National championships wil lthey change this setup as id imagine their is advantages and disadvatages to going in both waves and they do not necessarily even out?

B

• Advertisement

i saw somewhere 1500 for this years race? if that's the case i believe it's about 50% up on last year numbers, you might not have to worry about wave 1 and 2, there might even be a 3 this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Was looking for a 2014 relay entry on http://register.sportstiming.ie/ps/event/listings but only see individual entry. Can anybody confirm if this means all 60 relay entries have been taken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

That's a huge number for HOTW this year; I hope they do have at least 3 waves this year. Wave 2 was huge last year with a lot of arms and fists going on for longer than usual
    I’d love a training weekend down there too if I can jump in on that. Soon though, before mid-May to leave plenty of time for Lough Cultra 25th May taper! :)

Has there been any movement on this?

zico10 wrote: »
    Has there been any movement on this?

Ahem... :confused::rolleyes:

Nope, nada.

I've done the course twice, and with a bit of refocus it's not as big a priority this season after my early season training.

For me, it won't be worth a 7 hour round trip to revisit course and practice on.
    I may chose to race a sprint instead and debating this at the moment.

So I'm out I'm afraid. But Lost Sheep will defo be done in Aug ahead of race.

For those that haven't raced Kilkee, it's not really one that needs a course recce unless you just want to experience the route.

Swim - has beaten me up twice, usually waves and hard to sight/draft.

Bike - short incline in first couplekm, then flat mainly out for 20km, you don't reach a turn around but veer left, then 2 rights to bring you back onto the same road home. Highly likely head wind for the last 15km or so on slightly rough roads. Not technical at all.

Run - It's not really 5km up hill, more a bit of rolling but yes continuous elevation up the cliff. a few flat and rolling parts of it though.
    Reach top, turn and more rolling bits before continuous descent and onto last 500m flat finish then.

For those of any distance, a drive of the course the day before will be plenty sufficient.

Others may still be doing a training day though?

even though i know the route pretty well, i'm going to try and get down over the next couple of weeks to do the bike leg and get a saltwater swim in. i'm racing this weekend though, so not sure when it will be, depends on training schedule. slight advantage here in that i can do it after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@Fazz

I disagree somewhat. Kilkee is worth a recce just to get a feel for the wind. You've a couple of races there under your belt which is plenty to reflect upon. Although a 7 hour round trip is a lot

Worth a swim in the bay too as it can get choppy

Race brief is out.

4 waves

Fastest expected finishing times entered go in Wave 1. 360 people. It will be carnage. Woohoo!!!

http://limericktriathlon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/HOTW_RaceBrief20141.pdf

that's probably not far off what went in wave 1 last year though is it?

1100 people, going to be some atmosphere at the finish.

• Advertisement

that's probably not far off what went in wave 1 last year though is it?

1100 people, going to be some atmosphere at the finish.

yes id say a similar amount last year...but the difference this year will be the quality of the wave which i think will lead to more congestion on the swim and drafting/pelotons on the bike.....past that it would be a cracking race to watch. Drafting imo is inevitable in Kilkee unless you do 8-10 waves by age group ,as with the long narrow country roads it is always going to be a problem.

Advertisement