Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

12 days so far, what changes should I notice?

Options
  • 10-07-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I quit 12 days ago after listening to an audiobook version of Allen Carr :D I'm delighted at how painless and easy it has been. I notice my sense of taste is sharper, I don't get out of breath as quickly and I'm more aware of smoky smells/car emissions etc. What other things should I be noticing at this stage? I thought that by now I'd be coughing up the black stuff but I haven't had so much as a pioc so far :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I was the same, finished his book last December 9th (8 months, 1 day off :D). Was a doddle like you said, the only things I felt were the physical cravings which will be there for a maximum of 30 days but as you know they're so mild they're laughable so whenever they came up I embraced them as if to say "Is that it?" :)

Your energy should skyrocket round about now. I found myself going running, cycliung and rockclimbing loads (and still do, climbing anyway). Not because I particularly wanted to but the amount of energy I got from been off smokes I felt I had to do something to burn off the excess. good luck...not that you'll need it ya big non smoker ;)

ps The book worked wonders for me but some of my friends ended up smoking after a couple of months of reading it. It might be in your interest that after a couple of months, you skim through some of the key points just as a refresher. Some people I know who did that said it really sealed the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I quit 12 days ago after listening to an audiobook version of Allen Carr :D I'm delighted at how painless and easy it has been. I notice my sense of taste is sharper, I don't get out of breath as quickly and I'm more aware of smoky smells/car emissions etc. What other things should I be noticing at this stage? I thought that by now I'd be coughing up the black stuff but I haven't had so much as a pioc so far :confused:

First off congrats on quitting. I've nearly hit the year mark after reading the Allen Carr book.

Regarding the things you'll notice I primarily found it was my sense of taste that got better. I never was at the stage where I was coughing up stuff so maybe it depends on the person.

Anyway, keep it up! Remember by now the various addictive chemicals have left your system a long time ago. It's the smoking memories which will try and beat you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It's the traces of the psychological addiction as opposed to the physical addiction to them that remains after that length of time. Just wondering, the people who didn't report coughing up stuff after being off of them for x amount of time, how much did those people smoke in the first place? I am in a good place with cigarettes these days. I made a new years resolution to cut down, as opposed to quit. I did that, I only smoke every few days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I had read the book last year but it didn't do it for me. I
    think hearing someone speaking it into my brain made a big difference :D I've only had slight physical cravings, mostly I'll get a fleeting thought that something is missing and then I'll realise what it is and start laughing thinking 'silly me, sure I don't smoke anymore'! :)

Regarding the black lung tar, I was a smoker for 12 years and smoked 20 a day. I didn't have a smokers cough but still I would expect there to be some residue in there that needs to be cleared...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

hi all

im off them since 10 january, still cant believe it but i came very close to smoking last weekend when out drinking, im still finding that very hard but anyway i got through it again. just wondering when will that bloody go when im out drinking. i suppose it didnt help i was sitting outside in a beer garden for a good few hours. anyway, im about to re read allen carr again to keep me on the straight and narrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

am off them a year. smoked for 10 years - roughly 20 a day, sometimes more at the weekend.

i didnt cough up anything, i didnt even get a cold.

my OH had been smoke for 20 odd years and he was same no coughing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

hi all

im off them since 10 january, still cant believe it but i came very close to smoking last weekend when out drinking, im still finding that very hard but anyway i got through it again. just wondering when will that bloody go when im out drinking. i suppose it didnt help i was sitting outside in a beer garden for a good few hours. anyway, im about to re read allen carr again to keep me on the straight and narrow!!

I actually still head out with my friends when they go to the beer garden/smoking area, it builds up a habit of going out with out smoking. May not work for everyone. off them over 4 months now without a slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

The only difference I really noticed was that I like porridge now and I didn't before, a lot of people talk about food tasting better but it didnt improve the taste of food I already liked. Although my waist says different :O I'm almost 7 months off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

First change I noticed is that my mouth seems to be dry all the time.

Also my waist line is growing bigger and bigger. At my max size ever. Joining the gym Monday as its cheaper than buying a whole wardrobe of clothes. (I ain't going XL until I am married for a few years)

Think exercise is now key as I need a relief in the evening, especially on a Friday.

Advertisement