Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord raises price of electricity and gas

• 19-09-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

My friend who has a contract in an apartment up until around Christmas has been paying 450 a week which included electricity etc in the prices. She has been there for about 2 months without any problems. Yesterday she got a text saying that he would be charging an extra 40 euro a month for electricity from now on. I have of course told her to check her contract and see if he can do this. She dosent know if the contract states that the rent included the price of electricity, the way it is worded.

I know this is where she will have the problem, Is there anything that can be done? Is the landlord just allowed to add this charge whenever he wants?

Thanks for any help anyone can give

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm pretty sure if you're paying the bill you're entitled to see the breakdown of costs. In which case it'd be a case of simple deduction if what you're paying is fair or not. A €40 increase sounds a lot though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

im a landlady and i pay my tenants electricity up to the value of 250. if they go beyond that they have to split the difference. i encountered last winter to save on buying their heating oil the tenants were all using electric heaters and i got a bill for 400 quid! i was a bit annoyed and said right lads i will pay it just this once but in future 250 is my cut off point. bearing in mind the house is new and well insulated and really lovely actually! i think i was being reasonable.
    ask ur landlord are the bills sky high and if so maybe try get ur bill lower by being sensible. turning off lights etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks a lot for the replies. She also got the text yesterday and he was looking for the money today, which can't be right surely. Is there a right she has towards this, like a legal right, of notice or to be able to check her bill etc. She wants to quote this to him.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

As mentioned above, she should ask to see all the bills since she moved in to determine if there was an increase. It could be a case of the landlord seriously under estimating the units she'd use.

Check the contract to see what it says.

Is she renting a room in a house or a flat attached to a house or just a bedsit/flat in a building? And does she have a separate meter to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

€450 a week??? Wow!

Ask the Landlord for a breakdown of the bills.

If LL is making profit off the utility bills then report or threaten to report LL to the Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Your friend is paying E23,400 a year to rent a room inc. bills?

tell her to have a look at daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

If she's renting the apartment why doesnt she just get the bill changed into her name and pay for the electricity directly.....

Our ESB bill is about €100 for two months, and thats for two people living in the house, so seems steep to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

For €450/week it must be some amazing pad. Prices have dropped substantially since 2007!

€1800/month is very high end for an apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Corholio wrote: »
    My friend who has a contract in an apartment up until around Christmas has been paying 450 a week which included electricity etc in the prices. She has been there for about 2 months without any problems. Yesterday she got a text saying that he would be charging an extra 40 euro a month for electricity from now on. I have of course told her to check her contract and see if he can do this. She dosent know if the contract states that the rent included the price of electricity, the way it is worded.

I know this is where she will have the problem, Is there anything that can be done? Is the landlord just allowed to add this charge whenever he wants?

Thanks for any help anyone can give

The post says firstly "paying 450 a week which included electricity etc" then it says "She dosent know if the contract states that the rent included the price of electricity, the way it is worded".

It's impossible to answer your question, because it is impossible with the information given to determine is the electricity include or not. So is the land lord just asking her to pay the bill or is he asking her to pay extra, if your friend can't tell after reading the contract what is covered how can you or anyone else.

Advertisement