Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morgan Kelly calls for debt forgiveness for struggling mortgage holders

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It isn't going to happen even if it is the best idea as it is too complicated a principle to explain . Very evident by the comments here.

I am not even defending the idea I tried to explain it to people who obviously didn't get it and still don't.

Your posting style is inappropriately arrogant.
    You are also confusing abhorrence for poor comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Zamboni wrote: »
    Your posting style is inappropriately arrogant.
    You are also confusing abhorrence for poor comprehension.
    ROLF

It is quite clear that people have misunderstood the concept by what they have said. People have misread the idea and put claims against the idea which are simply not true. That is poor comprehension as you have failed to comprehend what I have been saying.
    You have confused quite a lot. You can always ignore me:p

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Why not let anyone who can't afford the repayments on their nice house in a good area move into a crap house in a ghost estate?

Their repayments will be much lower, they get to keep a family home, ghost estates get filled and the taxpayer saves some money, everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He's got to be having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You do realise you totally have misunderstood how the costs work if you think this right? Effectively it means devaluing the assets of the banks that aren't worth that anyway

You might have missed it in my post above but the assets of the banks are the contracts taken out with people who are legally obliged to pay their debt. Primary security on this asset is the property purchased - but it's not the only security. Folk having a legal obligation to repay their loans is another security.

The assets are worth now precisely what they were worth before - irrespective of the degradation in the value of the primary security.

The assets can of course, be written off despite their being worth their exact face value. That would involve a burden equalling the writedown being placed on the taxpayer in order to maintain bank liquidity at current levels.

The problem with your understanding, I think, is a certain fuzziness around terms that have quite precise meanings. You've morphed an asset into the security which undergirds that asset. You are right back at the position of whether the taxpayer should bail out folk in financial trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dandelion4

...is tired of people whinging about the possibility of debt forgiveness for genuine struggling families trying to hold onto their family home.. why isn't there more talk about property valuers and property valuations...i paid for this when i took out my mortgage .... look how wrong they got it.... just 3 years into a 35 year mortgage and now being told by an auctioneer that the house which cost €480k may never realise €300k in the lifetime of the mortgage..... and that its current market value c€250-260k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dandelion4 wrote: »
    ...is tired of people whinging about the possibility of debt forgiveness for genuine struggling families trying to hold onto their family home.. why isn't there more talk about property valuers and property valuations...i paid for this when i took out my mortgage .... look how wrong they got it.... just 3 years into a 35 year mortgage and now being told by an auctioneer that the house which cost €480k may never realise €300k in the lifetime of the mortgage..... and that its current market value c€250-260k
    What were you thinking spending half a million on a house? And why should everyone else pay for your bad decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

€480k :eek::eek:

Let put it this way, if the market went higher and people like me who did not buy during the tiger found ourselves not being able to get on the property ladder would you give up equity to enable us to buy?

I doubt any one would willingly do this!

I'm guessing you were born in the 70's or 80's so you've probably seen some form of hardsip in you earlier life.
    Did you not think something was wrong when somebody was offering you just under One Half of One Million Euros just for signing a piece of paper?
    I'll say that again. One Half of a Million Euros.
    Take some responsilbility for your own actions and deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

krissovo wrote: »
    €480k :eek::eek:

Let put it this way, if the market went higher and people like me who did not buy during the tiger found ourselves not being able to get on the property ladder would you give up equity to enable us to buy?

I doubt any one would willingly do this!

Exactly!

Not in a million years would you get any help......in fact they would laugh at you for renting!

Half a million!!.......and you want people to feel sorry & pay for your house.

NO CHANCE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

In fairness, his point is that he paid for a property valuer to place a value on his property before he bought it. That professional valuer that he hired valued it at €480k, and he then followed that advice and took out a mortgage to cover this amount.

He's trying to point out that no emphasis has been put on the valuers. But all his got in response is the usual high horse hindsight 20/20 lark for this forum :rolleyes:

..in fact they would laugh at you for renting!

No one in this universe has ever seemed as smug to me as some Irish people are now at their colleagues that bought their homes pre-2007/08.

(and I rent by the way)

nm wrote: »
    In fairness, his point is that he paid for a property valuer to place a value on his property before he bought it. That professional valuer that he hired valued it at €480k, and he then followed that advice and took out a mortgage to cover this amount.

He's trying to point out that no emphasis has been put on the valuers. But all his got in response is the usual high horse hindsight 20/20 lark for this forum :rolleyes:
    No one in this universe has ever seemed as smug to me as some Irish people are now at their colleagues that bought their homes pre-2007/08.

(and I rent by the way)

Hold your horses there horsebox.
    The professional valuers, valued homes at the potential price that the home could realise at that given point.
    Those values were probably fairly accurate for the most part at that time given the sheer access to credit.
    They are not economists expected to predict future market values.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

(and I rent by the way)

He'd only have a case if similar houses weren't going for 480 at roughly the same time.

If the valuer had said 'This house is valued at 150 grand considering historical facts' and yet similar houses were selling for 480, the valuer would be wrong to undervalue the house. At the time. It's like stocks, value may go down as well as up, but at the current market, that was its worth.

You're quoting me but remember this was dandelion4's post so direct to him, I was just pointing out that in the four replies littered with exclamation marks and the usual high horse-ness no one had even addressed his actual point.

He didn't have an actual point to address.
    He is looking for someone to blame and has decided that professional valuers should be economists too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're quoting me but remember this was dandelion4's post so direct to him, I was just pointing out that in the four replies littered with exclamation marks and the usual high horse-ness no one had even addressed his actual point.
    Yeah I think you're the only one who saw that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If he has a problem with the valuation, sue the valuer. It's not the taxpayers fault and it's not for us to pay compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 silly houseowner

hmmm wrote: »
    If he has a problem with the valuation, sue the valuer. It's not the taxpayers fault and it's not for us to pay compensation.
    and then we can bailout the valuers. its gettin a bit like the late late show sure lets have a bailout for every1 in the audience:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

The professional valuers, valued homes at the potential price that the home could realise at that given point.
    Those values were probably fairly accurate for the most part at that time given the sheer access to credit.

And weren't these valuers correct as the poster paid that for the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Debt forgiveness?!? Call Strutter direct, they'll sort it out!

• Advertisement

Yeah I think you're the only one who saw that point.

Forgive me for actually reading the post, and not leaping out of my chair and bashing the keyboard off the desk at the price he happened to mention he paid for a home 3 years ago.
    I'm off the wall alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Forgive me for actually reading the post, and not leaping out of my chair and bashing the keyboard off the desk at the price he happened to mention he paid for a home 3 years ago.
    I'm off the wall alright.
    His actual point appears to be "why isn't there more talk about property valuers and property valuations..."

Property valuers value property on the day. If you buy it and it falls in value later it's nothing to with them.

He "just happened" to mention paying a lot of money for a house in a thread where people are expecting their mortgages to be paid for them. The poster in question apparently believes the valuers are responsible and not himself.

sharper wrote: »
    His actual point appears to be "why isn't there more talk about property valuers and property valuations..."

Property valuers value property on the day. If you buy it and it falls in value later it's nothing to with them.

He "just happened" to mention paying a lot of money for a house in a thread where people are expecting their mortgages to be paid for them. The poster in question apparently believes the valuers are responsible and not himself.

Fair enough

fair enough blaming the valuers is clutching at straws a bit but you suggest their not economists expected to predict the future, would you not say the same about the people who bought cause all they seem to be getting is oh they should have known better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

sharper wrote: »
    Nope. People took out mortgages they couldn't afford and the world wide economy tanked. Not so different after all. We're dealing with multiple problems simultaneously, you can't simply organise such that one is a direct result of the other.

People took out 35 year mortgages handing over 40-50% of their joint income with partners for 1 bedroom apartments. This was completely and utter madness and totally unaffordable by any metric.

They did this because property always goes up in value. They did it because rent is "dead money". They did it because if they didn't buy now they were afraid they'd never be able to afford a one bedroom apartment.

They also did it because they didn't expect to actually live in that 1 bedroom apartment. They bought into the idea of a "starter home" where you bizarrely buy a property you only plan to live in for a few years.

Then you don't know what begrudging is so you should stop using it.

It's "a suggestion to save the economy" which transfers wealth and money to a chunk of the population purely because they acted irrationality. It rewards that irrationality with properties they couldn't and can't afford. People who acted rationally are left without property and with the bill for the others.

Mmmhmmm.

The world works a certain way. The ways in which doesn't work are endless. One of the ways it doesn't work is when people that act without regard for consequence are protected from those consequences by those that did. You simply increase the population of people acting without consequence, you make irrationality a rational choice.

I note that again you have completely failed to defend the proposal. Instead you've declared it's necessary and should be done regardless of whether it's a good idea and that anyone in opposition to this is a "begrudger".

This is precisely the sort of irrational and hard headed approach that got us into this mess in the first place. I suggest you read the Housing Bubble Bursting and see what people were saying at the time. You know, stuff like

That Housing bubble bursting quote is brilliant!

fair enough blaming the valuers is clutching at straws a bit but you suggest their not economists expected to predict the future, would you not say the same about the people who bought cause all they seem to be getting is oh they should have known better

The value of your investment may go up as well as down.
    It is not that difficult to comprehend.
    I know a valuer who priced a two bedroom apartment on Ormond Quay in 1997 at sixty nine thousand pound.
    I don't remember the proprietor complaining when it was sold for €315,000 in 2004.

The value of your investment may go up as well as down.
    It is not that difficult to comprehend.
    I know a valuer who priced a two bedroom apartment on Ormond Quay in 1997 at sixty nine thousand pound.
    I don't remember the proprietor complaining when it was sold for €315,000 in 2004.
    and as pointed out by many people no one is suggesting help for investments as you call it ,but for those who bought for their princible private residence not to make money but to put a roof over there familys head ,is that so difficult to comrehend.

Advertisement