Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will we fly again? II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not even treatment?

Treatment will be covered by EHIC, or health insurance if you have that. Nothing will be covered under travel insurance for it. It's now a known risk so it'll be built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

I imagine it will be a thourghly miserable experience.
    If people like the CEO of Dubai Airports is saying

Going through an airport, the whole travel experience, will be as enjoyable as open-heart surgery,” Dubai Airports CEO Paul Griffiths

https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/news/21138567/postcoronavirus-travel-will-be-as-enjoyable-as-openheart-surgery-dubai-airports-ceo-says

EU countries only with EHIC is looking the best bet by far. But not for me in the Summer during the school holidays... don't have to tie myself to the mid term breaks and so on anymore. Mid October is something I might consider.

But will let the guinea pigs go first and see how the social distancing and so on work in airports. Can't see it being a pleasant or quick experience, as if it ever was in the first place. Sorry if I sound smug about the freedom to choose when to travel, but it took a long time to get to this point in life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Monokne wrote: »
    You're not allowed out of Ireland or into Turkey right now and as best as I can tell neither have definitive dates on that changing. Plus I would assume any dates are entirely dependent on the pandemic progressing anyway, and given the stories in the media around Turkey trying to hide/downplay their figures, nothing seems concrete at the moment.

Is this mid August or have I missed something?

johnire wrote: »
    I imagine it will be a thourghly miserable experience.
    If people like the CEO of Dubai Airports is saying

Going through an airport, the whole travel experience, will be as enjoyable as open-heart surgery,” Dubai Airports CEO Paul Griffiths

https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/news/21138567/postcoronavirus-travel-will-be-as-enjoyable-as-openheart-surgery-dubai-airports-ceo-says

The context of his article I think is too show how impractical some of the measures are as opposed to actually telling people not to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Is this mid August or have I missed something?

You have missed something but I suspect it's wilfully, judging by the tone your consistent choice of wording gives off :D Enjoy your day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Will travel insurance not cover medical costs relating to Covid 19? I knew claims regarding cancelled holidays were excluded but not medical ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I missed my trip to Mexico that was supposed to happen in a fortnight. I’m thinking of rescheduling for mid September. I’ve little to lose, the airlines refusing to refund anyway, and the hotel cancellation is free.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Will travel insurance not cover medical costs relating to Covid 19? I knew claims regarding cancelled holidays were excluded but not medical ones

Id assume not. If you have health insurance that should though. Mine does at least anyway, and think most policies do up to a certain amount. EHIC will provide same healthcare as citizens in EU countries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

titan18 wrote: »
    Id assume not. If you have health insurance that should though. Mine does at least anyway, and think most policies do up to a certain amount. EHIC will provide same healthcare as citizens in EU countries too.

Yes my health insurance covers €100k for medical expenses but that might nit be enough should you end up in ICU for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Greece allowing Irish citizens from June 15th

• Advertisement

Croatia accepting visitors who have pre booked accommodation.

A enter Croatia form must be filled in but no quarantine.

Croatia currently has a low incidence of COVID-19. As at 1 June 2020, 2246 confirmed cases and 103 deaths. Croatia closed its borders to foreign travellers and restricted internal movement at an early stage but from 28 April started a stepped reduction in lockdown restrictions. Over the weekend of 16/17 May Croatia opened its borders to foreign tourists who have pre-boo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Gael23 wrote: »
    I knew claims regarding cancelled holidays were excluded but not medical ones

Is that definitely the case?

If for example the DFA are still advising against non essential travel but the flights go and you decide to abide by the advice not to travel, you've no recourse with your insurer for losses incurred?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Greece originally stated that visitors from only certain countries were eligible to enter, but Ireland was not on the list. Have they amended that list?

Greece originally stated that visitors from only certain countries were eligible to enter, but Ireland was not on the list. Have they amended that list?

Yes it appears so. Great news. Hon the Greeks.

A scan of the Aerlingus website would indicate they are planning to open up a lot of routes again from 20th July, most flights before then are closed off for booking.

I am not sure if there has been an announcement by them regarding this but would appear July 20th is when things will kick off again.

A scan of the Aerlingus website would indicate they are planning to open up a lot of routes again from 20th July, most flights before then are closed off for booking.

I am not sure if there has been an announcement by them regarding this but would appear July 20th is when things will kick off again.

Coincides with the 20km rule gone and phase 4 starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree

Where did you see this?

TomTree wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

Indo (for my sins)
    Greece set to open for Irish visitors after travel ban U-turn
    Henry Samuel in Paris

Irish people are among those permitted to travel to Greece "without quarantine", its tourism minister confirmed yesterday amid a Europe-wide scramble to salvage the crucial summer holiday season.

Last week, Greece appeared to slap a nationwide ban on flights from here after leaving Ireland off its "white list" of 29 nations with better-than-­average Covid-19 infection records.

But yesterday, it said this had been a "misunderstanding" and Irish holidaymakers will be allowed to visit as early as mid-June. However, the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs is still advising against all non-essential travel overseas until further notice.

Greece has pledged to "welcome the world" from June 15, when it will resume flights to its two main airports, Athens and Thessaloniki. Others will be reopened to international flights from July 1.

Misunderstanding = we forgot you aren't Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Seems like Ryanair are the only ones looking to push kicking off prior to the 20th July. Clearly a way to avoid paying out refunds / vouchers... Hoping they end up being forced into matching that but not expecting them to, O'Leary clearly on a money grab, already know of people who booked flights since they announced they were back on July 1st and within a few hours of booking received an email to say their flights were cancelled and were offered vouchers, thats borderline fraud at this stage, amazed a bigger deal isnt being made of this.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Dubai still haven't lifted their restrictions on tourists yet though :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Dubai still haven't lifted their restrictions on tourists yet though :confused:

Transit passengers exempt maybe?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/
    Travel for Irish people to countries where Covid-19 has been successfully supressed will return in a number of weeks, Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation Heather Humphreys has said.

Minister Humphreys told RTÉ's Morning Ireland that the Government plans to reintroduce air travel through "airbridges", which will allow travel to countries where the curve has been "flattened" to the same degree as it has here.

She said she would not encourage people to book holidays yet, but she said plans are in place and will be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tenzor07 wrote: »

It'd be rather pointless. By the time any legal challenge is gone through, it'd likely be late July or August anyway

titan18 wrote: »
    It'd be rather pointless. By the time any legal challenge is gone through, it'd likely be late July or August anyway

And the quarantine will hopefully be gone then anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

Hi I would like to visit my daughter in U.K. in early July she will pick me up at the Airport no visiting or shopping elsewhere,but worried about returning do I still need to self isolate in July

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

coleen wrote: »
    Hi I would like to visit my daughter in U.K. in early July she will pick me up at the Airport no visiting or shopping elsewhere,but worried about returning do I still need to self isolate in July

As it stands, yes. By July? Nobody on here can tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

coleen wrote: »

There’s a possibility the quarantine will be relaxed by then however with the U.K. virus figures it’s hard to tell if the government will keep it in place for travellers from U.K.

That being said the quarantine is not In law as it stands. The legal requirement is the completion of the form with your details and you will receive two phone calls (day 2 and 10) confirming your whereabouts.

Advertisement