Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cheesepuffs

Hi,

What is the MPI forms everyone is worried about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I was in the same boat ( existing medical condition ). They told me to apply even tho I knew I wouldn’t be approved but once I could get life cover else where I was ok. I went with Royal London. All the best

Ah that’s great thank you. I contacted Royal London last week and they said they would cover me. I tried 4 places. They were one of two that would cover me

Hi,

What is the MPI forms everyone is worried about ?

Mortgage protection insurance. Sometimes if you have a medical condition it increases the cost or they won’t cover you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

I was in the same boat ( existing medical condition ). They told me to apply even tho I knew I wouldn’t be approved but once I could get life cover else where I was ok. I went with Royal London. All the best

Really. I should have tried that. Not that I have a condition but to save money. I thought you had to go with council supplier only. And they are expensive.

Homedream wrote: »
    Has any one info of the mpi process how long does it take we had a phone survey done last week and have heard nothing since.
    For people that got letters to state they need prof of work due to covid, have ye been approved in principle?

Yes I was approved in principle.

• Advertisement

gnr vr fan wrote: »
    Really. I should have tried that. Not that I have a condition but to save money. I thought you had to go with council supplier only. And they are expensive.

You do have to go with the councils company. The only way out of it I believe is if they turn you down, then you have to find your own - which does work out cheaper

Does anyone know what the penalties are for paying off mortgage earlier or changing to a bank? I can’t find much info. I’m looking at getting a 25 year loan as it gives more than the banks would give but I’d want to pay it off within maybe 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cheesepuffs

Do you need to have MPI before your approved ?

Basically paying for it when no house ?

Sulli83 wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest, I only received the letter looking for renewed information yesterday.
    I can't really see it being an issue that the company you work for was forced to close for a period due to COVID and therefore availed of a support put in place by the government. It doesn't have any influence on your ability to pay your mortgage into the future provided circumstances quickly returned to normal. Civil Servants and those who could work remotely aside it affected every industry, let's hope common sense is applied otherwise the following period will be disastrous.

Thanks Sulli83,

Could you let me know please how you get on when you submit the payslips please. And also if there is an indication on your payslip if part of your wages include the government wage subsidy scheme.

On my payslip the letters "GOVC-19SUBN" reference the wage subsidy scheme.

My wages are not equating to the same before the pandemic as my employer is not topping up my wages to the same before the pandemic.
    Only 85% top up which means I am down approximately €30 per week.
    I am not concerned with this really for now as they will go back up to 100%.
    I am concerned and worried with what the council will say if they see that the employer is availing of the wage subsidy scheme.

Also I've read this;
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/families-reveal-how-mortgage-draw-downs-being-refused-if-in-receipt-of-covid-19-wage-subsidy-1000314.html

Thanks you Sulli and all for yer info at the moment.

Maz2016 wrote: »
    You do have to go with the councils company. The only way out of it I believe is if they turn you down, then you have to find your own - which does work out cheaper

How much would you be paying a month?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the penalties are for paying off mortgage earlier or changing to a bank? I can’t find much info. I’m looking at getting a 25 year loan as it gives more than the banks would give but I’d want to pay it off within maybe 15 years

I don't think there is much of a penalty but I only half enquired about this when I was applying. Its best to email them directly for a direct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Hi all. What constitutes an insufficient offer from the bank? I know you need 2 of these. My situation is I’m applying as a single FTB. I went to 2 banks. Both have offered me 140k AIP. This won’t buy me anything. I’d need about 170k plus my savings.
    When applying through the council, I can attach both letters but they both say you have been approved in principal for 140k. I have an area in mind but not an exact address. I can use those letters or do I have to apply to the banks for 170k and get rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deedee26

Do you need to have MPI before your approved ?

Basically paying for it when no house ?

You need to be approved but your first MPI payment is paid when your pay your first mortgage instalment.

Would also be interested in what the penalties are for paying off early. I took out 23 year mortgage with RBI. First payment was March, but I hope to start paying extra monthly so I could have it paid in 15 years. The FAQ on website are not very clear.

During the period of a fixed rate mortgage, you may be liable for a breakage fee if you switch to a variable rate or pay off all or part of your mortgage early. A breakage fee will only apply if the local authority cost of funds rate, applicable on the date of breaking the mortgage agreement, is LESS than the original local authority cost of funds rate on drawdown of your loan.

deedee26 wrote: »
    Would also be interested in what the penalties are for paying off early. I took out 23 year mortgage with RBI. First payment was March, but I hope to start paying extra monthly so I could have it paid in 15 years. The FAQ on website are not very clear.

During the period of a fixed rate mortgage, you may be liable for a breakage fee if you switch to a variable rate or pay off all or part of your mortgage early. A breakage fee will only apply if the local authority cost of funds rate, applicable on the date of breaking the mortgage agreement, is LESS than the original local authority cost of funds rate on drawdown of your loan.

Exactly, that could mean anything

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Homedream

gnr vr fan wrote: »
    Yes I was approved in principle.
    This has me so so scared we are over and back dealing with the council since november we are so close. we are getting results of mpi next week which will be very hard for us to be approved as my partner has heart issues. Im on maternity leave which coucil dont no as didnt realise i was pregnant at time application sent in. We have spent so so many months dealing with council and now this when we are right at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

dave98 wrote: »
    Hi all. What constitutes an insufficient offer from the bank? I know you need 2 of these. My situation is I’m applying as a single FTB. I went to 2 banks. Both have offered me 140k AIP. This won’t buy me anything. I’d need about 170k plus my savings.
    When applying through the council, I can attach both letters but they both say you have been approved in principal for 140k. I have an area in mind but not an exact address. I can use those letters or do I have to apply to the banks for 170k and get rejected?

Letters should be more than enough. I was approved with just print outs from two online calculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Barbara1234

dave98 wrote: »

This should be fine to apply. Mine was similar and went as an insufficient amount to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

So I got a letter looking looking for update in circumstances and following documents -
    3 recent payslips
    Salary Cert/employment confirmation
    Evidence savings are still in place.

My questions to the thread are.... if anyone can help me out that would be great

1. Can I take it that they are finally looking at my application or is this a standard letter due to Covid effects on people's circumstances.

2. We are being gifted the bulk of the deposit but it is not in our personal bank accounts. Are they looking for that money to be in our account now or would a letter from the relative suffice along with what we've managed to save.

JDigweed wrote: »
    So I got a letter looking looking for update in circumstances and following documents -
    3 recent payslips

My questions to the thread are.... if anyone can help me out that would be great

1. Can I take it that they are finally looking at my application or is this a standard letter due to Covid effects on people's circumstances.

2. We are being gifted the bulk of the deposit but it is not in our personal bank accounts. Are they looking for that money to be in our account now or would a letter from the relative suffice along with what we've managed to save.

All councils are different, when my application was at the stage of signing acceptance of mortgage I was asked for 12 months upto date bank statements to confirm I had my full deposit and to check I was still making regular payments to my savings account. They did ask if I was gifted any money, I wasn't so I am not sure what happens in the case of someone having gifted you money.

• Advertisement

Make sure to apply for first time buyers through revenue we got half our deposit from this

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lwoods90

The sad moment when you receive a letter of rejection

All over stupid things.

Lwoods90 wrote: »

All over stupid things.

Sorry to hear this. Can you appeal or reapply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Make sure to apply for first time buyers through revenue we got half our deposit from this

Think that's gone?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/land-and-property/first-time-buyers-relief/index.aspx

"You must be a first-time buyer of a house or apartment who purchases or self-builds a property between 14 October 2014 and 31 December 2017."

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

Think that's gone?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/land-and-property/first-time-buyers-relief/index.aspx

"You must be a first-time buyer of a house or apartment who purchases or self-builds a property between 14 October 2014 and 31 December 2017."

Try help to buy Jill, it's from 2016 to 2021, was extended for extra 2 years after last budget.

Assume that's what you mean to say

Think that's gone?

Sorry i was wrong i ment help to buy with revenue. we got ours approved last year

kbman wrote: »
    Try help to buy Jill, it's from 2016 to 2021, was extended for extra 2 years after last budget.

Assume that's what you mean to say

Yep :)

Lwoods90 wrote: »

All over stupid things.

We are hoping to hear soon have application started since november we have been over and back with them its such a long process to then get rejected.
    Have you used your local councilor/minister/td?

We are hoping to hear soon have application started since november we have been over and back with them its such a long process to then get rejected.
    Have you used your local councilor/minister/td?

Since November? Wow, I feel your pain

• Advertisement

JDigweed wrote: »
    3 recent payslips

Standard Covid Letter unfortunately.

Also if you are being gifted money from a relative it might be better to have it in your account. Otherwise they will look for a letter from your relative stating that they do not have a stake of claim in the property. But thats no big deal really.

Advertisement