Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Summer Challenge 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion - you could drop your reps to 6-8 per set in the DL and SLDL. I’ve seen quite a few people doing these exercises with good form but who lose form once they hit the 8-12 range.

Brilliant, great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks for that suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Video yourself from the side and you'll get a better appreciation for your technique.

Technique may start to give as fatigue kicks in so you want to be stopping at the point before your technique gives.

Usually, when people deadlift the bar is over mid-foot. If that's your starting point for SL DL, then set up so the bar is over the top portion of your foot. Your starting position is different because less knee flexion so don't start with the bar in the same place in relation to your body.

Play around with the starting position but you'll need to be recording from the side to get an appreciation of your positions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

So took my weight this morning 83.5 a steady drop again.
    Keeping the exercise consistent and using heart rate for recoveries and measuring watts for interval intensity.
    Doing circuits 3 days a week with 10 min skipping to warm up that's my new intro this week to it. 10 mins cool down on bike. Circuits are tough but take little more than 18 mins to complete.
    Biggest difference I've made is to be consistently drinking 2700-3000 ml water a day for the last 7 days. I notice a huge difference in how I feel and crave snacks less.

Keep it up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

No change in weight, last week got away from me but not in a bad way. Just a kind of maintenance eat 70% good and trained 4 out of 5 times. Work was mad, IT issues and general lack of regular schedule meant I did not hit the weight target. Funny thing is I felt smaller and looked in my own head.

Good to see other people making progress. Keep it going. The goal this week is 1 kilo

Well, that good weather was great for exercise but awful for booze and BBQ food!

Upshot is I've gone from 97.5KG last week to a peak of 100.5 KG and back to 99.5KG this morning. Since last Wednesday, I managed 2 runs & two long cycles.

So what happened. Unfortunately had a spill on bike on Sunday, giving my knee a hard knock off tarmac along with some minor road rash. Knee swollen until yesterday.

So no gym sessions at all. And then ate all around me & too many beers all week with good weather which lead to 100.5 KG on Monday morning.

A right shock to see that weight but a hard lesson learned. So no booze since and stuck to to 2000cals, weighting everything. Knee is still a bit stiff today but I reckon I'm good to go tomorrow.

Target next week to be back in the 97KG range.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

Haven't posted in a while, lost the father in law a few weeks back and it's been pretty chaotic at home, managed a few training sessions each week but they're scattered, pushing hard to stay on plan lately, 3 sessions last week (should have been 4), nutrition on point since last Monday too, 12'8 17% this morning so still a lot to do but hopefully now with work back to a more normal footing (full crew back working etc) I can get back to my normal routine (struggling without it tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bladespin wrote: »
    Haven't posted in a while, lost the father in law a few weeks back and it's been pretty chaotic at home, managed a few training sessions each week but they're scattered, pushing hard to stay on plan lately, 3 sessions last week (should have been 4), nutrition on point since last Monday too, 12'8 17% this morning so still a lot to do but hopefully now with work back to a more normal footing (full crew back working etc) I can get back to my normal routine (struggling without it tbh).

Goof job hitting 3 sessions with all you have goibg on.
    I only managed 1 session last week. Aiming for 5 this time

Sorry to hear that bladespin. The loss of one father is major change in life and any additional stress such as training above what is required by you is not needed. Take it easy on yourself, if training makes you feel good ok, but dont be a slave to it. You have a lot to digest over the next few months

Down 1lb - 0.5kg

Trained four times last week, was hoping to get in five. So that is the goal this week

bladespin wrote: »

Sorry for your loss. Mind yourself and your other half.

• Advertisement

Thursday update:
    So doing well with food now but knee still not right so just cycled this week again. Attempted a run this morning but only managed 1/4 mile and stopped, knowing it still was not right. Going to try going back to the weights this evening but will be careful on legs, particular squats later in week.

Good news is 1kg down so back to 98.5KG. Nice and steady weightloss through watching food.

Had a disjointed week last week in terms of hit and miss exercise. Only managed one training session. Kept the water intake up though at 3litres a day. Food 3meals and 2 snacks.
    Scales going the right way at 82.4 now.

Bedtime is something I need to curb next it’s been running away on me so I know I’m not getting the appropriate sleep.

So time for progress update.

First of all, I bought a new scales few week ago which is what shocked me at over 100kg & have been using that since 3rd June. I think my old scale, which are probably 15 years old and Lidl's finest have been very kind to me over last few years!

Last two and half weeks have been my best in a long time I haven't missed a training session (3x weights, followed by 5 k run or 20K cycle and either a weekend long cycle or longer 7-8 km run. Along with 10,000 step every day without fail. Knee still hasn't quite recovered but I've come to accept that my age @ 46, recovery time is much slower.

Stuck to 2000 avg cals & dropped booze except for maybe one or two on a Friday or Saturday night.

This morning I hit 98kgs exactly, a loss of 2.8kg over last 3 weeks. Needless to say I'm delighted and well on way to 85KG by end of Sept/ early October.

Next target is 95 kg by end of July.

One thing I need to look at is I do not eat enough protein and have a carb heavy diet. Need to address this but at moment, weights on bar are still increasing so its not bothering me too much at moment.

Sticking with the Push/legs/pull regime I posted with pull up progressions. in back of my mind I want o be able to do 5+ pullups when I get to 85kg.

So bought resistance bands to help build up on these. But currently need 3 of them to do 5.....

As usual any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rofno1 wrote: »
    I want o be able to do 5+ pullups when I get to 85kg.

So bought resistance bands to help build up on these. But currently need 3 of them to do 5.....

As usual any advice appreciated.

Check this out

Back again, absolutely firing the training in now, 6 workouts this and last week (Weights one day, abs/cardio/stretching the second) 12st 5lbs this morning, abs starting to show :)

Check this out

Thats brilliant! Thanks!

Chipping away steady. Weight down to 82.2kg
    Feeling much more mobile.

Keeping snacks to minimum in evenings and increased water to 3litre a day. Skin much better too and no toe cramps which I used to always get. Yoga teacher said year ago that would go if I drank enough.
    Aim for July is to be sub 80kg at end of it and avg 46 hours sleep a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Granny Smyth

Can I set a challenge? Only 7-10 lbs but they are stubborn. Might try upping my water intake and Im sure gyms reopening will help. Ill aim for 10 in 6 weeks.

Can I set a challenge? Only 7-10 lbs but they are stubborn. Might try upping my water intake and Im sure gyms reopening will help. Ill aim for 10 in 6 weeks.

Best of luck with it. Have you a routine for the gym that you want to share with us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Granny Smyth

Best of luck with it. Have you a routine for the gym that you want to share with us?

Thanks. I tend to do classes but they are still online and not the same really. Walking is my main exercise at the moment but might get back cycling too.
    Some dietary changes are needed too I know as I was fairly strict as in 3 meals and 2/3 snacks but that is a bit all over the place at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I tend to do classes but they are still online and not the same really. Walking is my main exercise at the moment but might get back cycling too.
    Some dietary changes are needed too I know as I was fairly strict as in 3 meals and 2/3 snacks but that is a bit all over the place at the moment.

Very good. Sounds like your exercise needs a stoke, maybe ask a gym instructor where you go to give you a program for 6-8 weeks. It will give you an alternative to classes as classes can be a bit slack over the summer months.

Stability seems to be my thing, 14 consecutive days work-outs now, still hovering around 12'5 might look a little closer at my intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Hi everyone, I know I'm three months late, but can I jump in on this?

I'm last 20's
    5'9
    191.6 Pounds

Started back at the gym this week after Lockdown (I am weak, hahah)

This is my program for the next 12 Weeks.
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

Long term I'm looking to get down to 165.
    Short term is 185 in 4-5 weeks.

4 gym sessions a week and at least 1, if not 2 cardio sessions a week.

Eating roughly 1850-2250 Calories a day.

Good to see this thread rumble along. Just back training after three weeks out with a back strain, I changed work and its another half an hour in the car. Maybe to blame for my problems with my back, I found it hard to focus on the food side of the equation, so the diet went out the window too. Anyway that will happen.

I have done two sessions this week, one cardio and one kettlebell and bodyweight work out. Both of which kick my hard in the b...s.

Good to be back, even it is measured and feeling very unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Weekly Average weight Past 7 days = 76.3KG
    Weekly Average weight 30Apr-6 May= 79.5KG

Hasn't moved in the past few weeks but have dropped a few pounds since start of May and steadied the ship.

Aiming to drop below 75kg and to review again.

So, just to give some details, I plan to update this thread at least once, if not twice a week until 30th of September, which I am claiming will be the official end of Summer (because July certainly has not been like summer yet).

I've completed my first week back at the gym, the DOMs are real; my quads and glutes are blasted but it's a nostalgic feeling. Hahaha.
    The gym is going well, everyone is being courteous and it's only about 1/4 full. Bliss.

The pool is open, so I might go for a swim today for cardio.

My next update over the weekend will be in regards weight.

We've got this!

Kamu wrote: »
    So, just to give some details, I plan to update this thread at least once, if not twice a week until 30th of September, which I am claiming will be the official end of Summer (because July certainly has not been like summer yet).

I've completed my first week back at the gym, the DOMs are real; my quads and glutes are blasted but it's a nostalgic feeling. Hahaha.
    The gym is going well, everyone is being courteous and it's only about 1/4 full. Bliss.

The pool is open, so I might go for a swim today for cardio.

My next update over the weekend will be in regards weight.

We've got this!

Cracking start! I’ll do my update later today. It’s great motivation to post here.

12'3 this morning after finally taking a rest night (and a large slice of pavlova! who knew???).

The last 5 weeks have, by far, been the most consistent training and eating in moderation that I have done in a long time.

10000 step a day each day for last 5 weeks, only missing one day. Still haven't missed a training session but cardio after strength sessions of 5km run, or cycle have been pretty weather dependent. Still managed either a weekend long cycle or longer 7-8 km run.

2000 avg cals & still off booze except for weekend, when I try to limit to 2 bottles.

Except I had a bit of a wobbly last Saturday with 5 beers, crisps and a take away but hey ho, everything in moderation. Sunday morning scales registered 98.75 kg

This morning I hit 97.2kgs exactly, a loss of 0.8kg over last 2 weeks. Saturdays wobble cost me dipping into well into the 96s. I do think I can do it by Saturday its only 200gram right?!!

Total loss for 5 weeks is 3.6 kg. If I could get to 4kg total loss for next week I'd be delighted.

Target is still 95 kg by end of July.

Still not eating enough protein but next I'm looking at reducing bread in favor of salads for lunch.

Pull up progress :So now I tag on something at the end of each strength workout. I've identified several weaknesses and a belly as being the issue! :pac:

Day 1 is deadhang and do scapula (sp?)shrugs for 45 seconds for grip & build , er, scapula muscles? The muscle that start the pull up movement from deadhang position, whatever they are called!

Day 2 and 3 are Hanleys negative timed set as recommended.

Progress after 2 weeks now is I can do 4 pull ups with largest band. Amazed at that progress to be fair, considering 5 weeks ago I couldn't hold my own weight for 30 secs.

Clothing is getting looser now & have had one or two positive noticeable weightloss comments so pretty driven to continue.

• Advertisement

I meant to post over the weekend but didn't have the time.

In relation to the gym/keeping active, I'll go more into that over the week, however, the gym is going great.
    I've replaced two cardio sessions over the Lockdown with the weight training, which I prefer, and have been doing at least dedicated cardio session a week since July(aiming for two).

Diet and weight wise, I knew this week gone would be a write off; with the cafes/restaurants back open, my misses and I ate out for lunch/dinner 3 times, I've gone to cafes and I had a friend's birthday party over the weekend.

Heavy week for eating a bit of drinking, but was good to celebrate seeing people and getting out again and I knew these events were coming up in advance so I gave myself a free pass to enjoy normalcy.

Over all over the past week, most days I ate out or ate convenient foods and I drank some alcohol twice and it was great.

I weighed in this morning at 190 even, so a loss of 1.6 pounds, however I expect if there is any weight loss next week, it'll be less.

We've got this :cool:

Advertisement