Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPS card with free travel not working

• 16-05-2020 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey all
    I just noticed my PPS card with free travel is not working on the Dublin bus scanner it doesn't seem to scan, I'll need for this week going to and from. Work what do I tell the bus driver while I wait on a new card, do I just show it to him of it isn't scanning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ThomasKilal

Hey all
    I just noticed my PPS card with free travel is not working on the Dublin bus scanner it doesn't seem to scan, I'll need for this week going to and from. Work what do I tell the bus driver while I wait on a new card, do I just show it to him of it isn't scanning

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hey all

How does someone who is working get free travel????

Just buy a Leap card any pay your fare that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

Hey all

Just show your card to the driver and explain that it is not scanning and you are waiting for a new one to arrive.
    Most of if not all of the drivers will be understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

You do understand one can partake in rehabilitative work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just buy a Leap card any pay your fare that way.

Oh dear...the yawning chasm into which many a zealous Busdriver has jumped headfirst :eek:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ba6e26-operational-guidelines-free-travel-scheme/
    If the applicant is under age 66, in addition to permanently residing in the State and is registered for the Public Services Card, s/he must satisfy any of the conditions below:

a. be a recipient of one of the following payments:

Invalidity Pension
    Blind Person's Pension
    Disability Allowance (DA)
    Carer's Allowance (you may get a single status card only, if you are aged under 66)
    Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation Supplement with Disablement Pension, for at least 12 months
    a Social Security Invalidity/Incapacity Pension/Benefit, or an equivalent payment, for at least 12 months, from a country covered by EC Regulations ( see below for details), or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral Social Security Agreement ( see below for details)

b. Be a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relatives Allowance from this department (you may get a single status card only, if you are under age 66)

c. s/he is blind or severely visually impaired and you satisfy the medical conditions for a Blind Pension.

d. be a widowed person/surviving civil partner aged between 60 and 65 years inclusive, whose late spouse/civil partner held a Free Travel Pass/Card from this department, and who at the time of his/her death, resided with him/her on a permanent basis, and who is now receiving one of the following payments and who satisfies the other conditions of the scheme:

* State Pension (Transition), (payable at age 65)
    * Widow/Widowers/Surviving Civil Partners Contributory or Non-Contributory Pension
    * Widow/Widowers/Surviving Civil Partners Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefits Scheme
    * One-Parent-Family Payment
    * Widow's or Widower's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme
    * An equivalent Social Security Pension/Benefit from a country covered by EC Regulations, or from a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement
    * an ORDINARY Garda Widow's Pension from the Department of Justice

:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

A very good question in my opinion. Considering they are also a landlord with a building valued at €800k.
    Sure it's no wonder they can afford to look at buying an Apple Macbook Pro 6 days ago costing €2.9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

Maybe they blocked it because they know you are working and not now eligible for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

The driver is under no obligation to accept a broken card.

With restricted capacity I wouldn't expect any driver to allow someone with an invalid (if it doesn't scan its invalid) card on and leave paying passengers at stops.

rx8 wrote: »
    Maybe they blocked it because they know you are working and not now eligible for one.

Maybe...but then again there are many thousands of FTP holders perfectly entitled to use their PSC and work as well..

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ba6e26-operational-guidelines-free-travel-scheme/#appendix-2-special-free-travel-arrangements
    A person who is in receipt of free travel and receiving Disability Allowance or Blind Person's Pension who transfers to a Back-to-Work Allowance scheme (BTWA) may retain his/her Free Travel Card for the duration of the BTWA payment (up to 3 years for most transferees, but 4 years for people in designated Partnership Areas, who take up self-employment).

A person who is in receipt of free travel and who participates in a Community Employment project, an Employee Support Scheme or a Pilot Project for People with Disabilities, is entitled to retain the Free Travel Card for the duration of the project.

Also,one other element introduced in 2017,increased the number of 'Off-Grid' PSC users considerably.
    “Make Work Pay” Initiative – 5 Yr Extension to FT Entitlement

From 6 April 2017 people with long term disability payment who move off the payment to get a job will retain their Free Travel Card for a period of five years, providing all other qualifying conditions for the free travel scheme are satisfied. The following schemes are considered as long term disability payments and any person who moves directly from these schemes to employment will be entitled to retain their Free Travel entitlement for a further period of 5 years, where they previously had the entitlement to Free Travel on the scheme(s):

* Disability Allowance (DA)
    * Invalidity Pension (INV)
    * Invalidity Pension to Partial Capacity Benefit
    * Disablement Benefit paid along with Incapacity Supplement
    * Customers who transferred from DA/INV to CE Scheme
    * Customers who transferred from DA/INV to SOLAS Scheme
    * Customers who transferred from DA/INV to Back to Work Scheme

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

LastStop wrote: »
    The driver is under no obligation to accept a broken card.

With restricted capacity I wouldn't expect any driver to allow someone with an invalid (if it doesn't scan its invalid) card on and leave paying passengers at stops.

The sensible Busdriver will ensure that they are aware of the current situation regarding FTP usage,and react appropriately.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/9bba61-free-travel-scheme/
    National Transport Authority (NTA) has confirmed that all transport operators are now allowing customers with a PSC Free Travel Card to continue to avail of Free Travel even if the card has expired. This is an interim measure during the Covid 19 crises

What is interesting about the Department's notice is the use of the plural 'crises' which may indicate a degree of knowledge not yet in the public domain ?

• Advertisement

Looks like a duplicated thread situation ? More stuff here.....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058078309

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The sensible Busdriver will ensure that they are aware of the current situation regarding FTP usage,and react appropriately.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/9bba61-free-travel-scheme/

What is interesting about the Department's notice is the use of the plural 'crises' which may indicate a degree of knowledge not yet in the public domain ?

Expired cards and broken cards are two completely different things.

Expired cards and broken cards are two completely different things.

Difference is good,and such diversity is catered for in the Department's own regulations.

Advise the Customer of the need to get a new card,by filling out a form FTNI 2 paying specific attention to the bolded declaration......
    I confirm that my SmartPass card has been damaged and I have enclosed it with this application.

I am aware that my original card will be electronically switched off and will be of no further use. I understand that any tickets purchased while waiting for a new SmartPass are nonrefundable.

....request the appropriate fare and proceed.....Job done :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Just show your card to the driver and explain that it is not scanning and you are waiting for a new one to arrive.
    Most of if not all of the drivers will be understanding.

Going to sound harsh but drivers shouldn't be nice about such things particularly at a time they cannot handle the cards to verify if the correct person is using it and its still in date. Not suggesting this applies to the OP but with nice drivers could mean people can pull the same trick for months.

You either have a valid card or don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

The guidance is the guidance, accept it until told otherwise due to covid. After that then there might issues with a card being damaged but should be easily replaceable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    You do understand one can partake in rehabilitative work?

I would hazard a guess that no one who is doing "rehabilitative work" will be in the workplace right now.

I would hazard a guess that no one who is doing "rehabilitative work" will be in the workplace right now.

A Primary Carer can work up to 20 Hrs per week and retain entitlement to the FTP.
    If,for example a carer had negotiated a job-sharing position,they could be holding down a CEO's position and still be a FTP user.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's no need for all the theorising about how someone could be working and have a FTP card. OP isn't necessarily a carer or has a disability allowance. He could still be working in an ordinary job or maybe he owns his own business. And he just happens to be over 66. Which entitles him to the free travel pass.

You could be in receipt of the state (contributory) old age pension and have free travel and go to work every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Any bus driver with a semblance of cop on will know that PSC cards have been finicky this week for whatever reason, and that's having checked most of them too and also from regular users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Any bus driver with a semblance of cop on will know that PSC cards have been finicky this week for whatever reason, and that's having checked most of them too and also from regular users.

If its IT related then that's fair enough.

I do know of a case before where a person used the pass to exit and Irish Rail Station and Luas Leap machine but DB readers failed to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

coylemj wrote: »
    There's no need for all the theorising about how someone could be working and have a FTP card. OP isn't necessarily a carer or has a disability allowance. He could still be working in an ordinary job or maybe he owns his own business. And he just happens to be over 66. Which entitles him to the free travel pass.

You could be in receipt of the state (contributory) old age pension and have free travel and go to work every day.

absolutely, why there is such begrudgery towards FTP pass holders I don't understand.

I have one I rarely use, but I have it because I am eligible to have one. Those ineligible should count themselves fortunate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It's up to the card holder to get their card sorted. A driver doesnt have to accept it even though a lot just show it instead of scanning it. The card could be either faulty, or blocked for some reason like if its been reported lost or stolen or has been misued by another person. Usually, if its not working once then a driver would just look at it and give you the ok but may not the next time. You need to contact the social to see what the story is. In the mean time, you may be liable to pay the fare which wont be refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Hey all

I work for DB,We were told To Accept FT cards That Are Expired,
    Because of This Pandemic The Cards Are Not Been Renewed on time or are way behind with Backlogs.:)

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    I work for DB,We were told To Accept FT cards That Are Expired,
    Because of This Pandemic The Cards Are Not Been Renewed on time or are way behind with Backlogs.:)

What did they tell you about the ones that are snapped in half and tapped back together, the ones that have been put through the wash bud , but its legit bud, I don't know why it doesn't work bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If it shows blocked, they aren't permitted to use it....

Many are at this all the time as are those with the blue dot where it's not free travel.

Huge increase in adults now using child leap cards....

The scammer beeps 3 times now oy for child leap cards and no longer for student leap cards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

What did they tell you about the ones that are snapped in half and tapped back together, the ones that have been put through the wash bud , but its legit bud, I don't know why it doesn't work bud?

Well to be honest it is very annoying alright,But you have to take their word for it,even if you know its boll*x.
    Anyway Dublin Bus Have Revenue Inspectors for that Job,but I cant remember the last time I have seen them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oh dear...the yawning chasm into which many a zealous Busdriver has jumped headfirst :eek:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ba6e26-operational-guidelines-free-travel-scheme/

:)

how many registered carers are there in Ireland, every time somebody has a go at social welfare or welfare related issues somebody comes in with 'but what about the carers' as if 99% of people on the travel pass or social is a carer. How many are there, as id wager 95% of free travel passes are not owned by carers and thus its an edge case possibility to keep bringing that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

how many registered carers are there in Ireland, every time somebody has a go at social welfare or welfare related issues somebody comes in with 'but what about the carers' as if 99% of people on the travel pass or social is a carer. How many are there, as id wager 95% of free travel passes are not owned by carers and thus its an edge case possibility to keep bringing that up.

It's not just carers; there are loads of long-term-illnesses and disabilities that aren't necessarily physical or immediately visible.

• Advertisement

Perhaps.

I suppose it depends on just how many one is prepared to ignore ?

It also tends to be Dublin centric,as this is where the vast majority of individual FTP journeys originate.

But a clearer picture is available from the DEASP itself via it's annual statistical reports...

http://www.dsfa.ie/en/Pages/Annual-SWS-Statistical-Information-Report.aspx

Table A5,pages 19/20 of 2018's review tells us that the total number of FTP holders is...934,298 .
    Further along the same table tells us that Carers amount to 79,914 so around 8.5% and Disability Allowance comes to 140,835 with Pensioners at 628,612

There are approximately 150,000 FTP holders classified as 'Others' or 'No Active Pension' in 2016's review :confused:

It should be noted that 2016's review is the final one which provided a breakdown of FTP recipients by Primary Benefit,which was a very useful method of reviewing the schemes overall usage...since then it is a far coarser set of statistics presented to the public for evaluation ;)

Advertisement