Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crossfit

Options
  • 05-05-2020 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks

This has probably been asked a million times but I'm looking to get myself into something new when this all ends fitness wise, I'll keep up the running but
    I think its time to give the normal every day gym a miss for a while and wads thinking about giving cross fit a go ,

What is the most beneficial part ?

Any good and bad points to it ?

I'm pushing 40 so would it be ok on the aul joints

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a different style of train, that's includes a much bigger variety of exercise than most people typically program on their own. So you would typically cover most aspects of fitness.

ie somebody who runs as their main exercise might also do some high rep weights for endurance. A power lifter might include some mid rep weights for hypertrophy.
    "Crossfit" combines cardio, strength, endurance. Very high to very low reps.
    The could be as fast as possible, as much as possible or weight lifted.

Crossfit is a brand name of an affiliate system. Gyms unaffiliated with crossfit can offer the same training under a different name. Neither if naturally better or worse. Both are only as good as their coaching and programming.
    Which leads me to the negatives.

Crossfit has a reputation for bad coaching. Certainly some of the coaching out if Crossfit HQ, either via the website or the Games was unquestionable bad in the past. A good gym will do their own programming, and avoid the bad stuff. But there is no guarantee that a random gym is doing that. And it's not a good reflection on the brand as a whole is the issue is HQ level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    It's a different style of train, that's includes a much bigger variety of exercise than most people typically program on their own. So you would typically cover most aspects of fitness.

ie somebody who runs as their main exercise might also do some high rep weights for endurance. A power lifter might include some mid rep weights for hypertrophy.
    "Crossfit" combines cardio, strength, endurance. Very high to very low reps.
    The could be as fast as possible, as much as possible or weight lifted.

Crossfit is a brand name of an affiliate system. Gyms unaffiliated with crossfit can offer the same training under a different name. Neither if naturally better or worse. Both are only as good as their coaching and programming.
    Which leads me to the negatives.

Crossfit has a reputation for bad coaching. Certainly some of the coaching out if Crossfit HQ, either via the website or the Games was unquestionable bad in the past. A good gym will do their own programming, and avoid the bad stuff. But there is no guarantee that a random gym is doing that. And it's not a good reflection on the brand as a whole is the issue is HQ level.

Cheers man have you ever trained it yourself ?
    Just getting a bit tired of lifting weight and running looking for something new to push me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cheers man have you ever trained it yourself ?
    Just getting a bit tired of lifting weight and running looking for something new to push me

Never been in a crossfit gym or similar. But I incorporate crossfit style metcons and similar high intensity circuits into my own training regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conybaz

Kettlebells for sale

087-2791562
    €40
    Free tracked delivery Nationwide.

Instagram
    @portable_kettlebell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hey folks

This has probably been asked a million times but I'm looking to get myself into something new when this all ends fitness wise, I'll keep up the running but
    I think its time to give the normal every day gym a miss for a while and wads thinking about giving cross fit a go ,

Where are you based OP?
    Most places will give you a free trial and the good places will
    Run a beginners course. I done a beginners course with my local CrossFit gym in September 2018. It was mandatory as the coach wouldn’t allow new comers into the normal classes without having a basic understanding of the movements etc which I thought was very professional.

I started it at 37 years old. I’m not hardcore, I’m not a Valerie counter or macro counter but 100% my strength and fitness has increased substantially.

Like yourself I just wanted to get out of the regular gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

I've been doing crossfit for about 3 years and i've never been fitter. Not a hint of an injury yet.
    When doing crossfit workouts its important to leave your ego at the door and only lift what you're capable of lifting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've been doing crossfit for about 3 years and i've never been fitter. Not a hint of an injury yet.
    When doing crossfit workouts its important to leave your ego at the door and only lift what you're capable of lifting.

This is it 100%.
    The numbers are your goal, doesn’t matter what the guy or girl beside you are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

I'm late thirties now. Played sports all my life . Then kids came along and I was completely inactive for about 2 years bar the odd 5k jog and odd weights session at home with my own squat rack and bench press. Heard alot of people talk about crossfit but thought it wouldn't be for me. Then one of my fitter mates who had been a footballer, boxer , all round above average athlete growing up told me he was training at crossfit style gym and asked me to join him. If it's good enough for him it must be good I thought to myself. Joined up and got my arse handed to me on a plate every single day i showed up. Two years later and i still get my arse handed to me on a plate. But i am fitter and stronger in every possible way than i have ever been in my life. Mostly 6am sessions for me as i have kids but i look forward to it and am constantly improving and getting fitter,faster, stronger. Few niggly stuff which I'm putting down to being that bit older like golfers elbow and tennis elbow but absolutely no major injuries. Try a few different trials in gyms around your area, pick one that you like, make a commitment that you'll stick it out for one year no matter what and honestly I'm delighted at my age just to have a sport to get back into as I thought my sporting days were over. As said above leave your ego at the door and prepare to be humbled and enjoy it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Correction. Its important to have a crossfit coach or instructor that won't let you do that. They should be keeping an eye on your progress and know what level you are able for. If they dont they shouldn't be teaching.

If someone is pushing themselves too hard in a class its the instructors fault for not knowing people are inclined to do that and setting the standard correctly and making sure people are training with others at the same level as them to prevent this.

Its part of an instructors job to see through certain people's bs about their capabilities and take charge to make sure they don't get injured.

A lot of instructors haven't a clue though. They don't know which exercises are mostly likely to injure someone and where. They don't know what certain previous injuries might mean or other factors like age etc. They don't know what is realistic progression etc.

The above is what instructors should be trained and qualified to do.

bono_v wrote: »
    Few niggly stuff which I'm putting down to being that bit older like golfers elbow and tennis elbow but absolutely no major injuries.

A quick Google shows that that is a really common problem in Crossfit.. You should look into what aspects of the routines are causing you issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As it's now a year on, here's hoping his elbow tendinitis has settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

As it's now a year on, here's hoping his elbow tendinitis has settled down.

Elbow tendinitis is gone@!! Only to recently be replaced by patellar tendonitis!!!! Getting old is no craic!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I did it for 18 months, best shape i have ever been in.
    I'm likely to go back now to get rid of the covid lack of fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I've been doing it for almost 3 years now. I'd echo what the other posters have said, When coached properly it's an excellent way to develop different domains of fitness. I had done powerlifting and bodybuilding for years before crossfit, and while I was quite strong I quickly learned that I wasn't fit! A good gym will also scale the exercises and workouts to those who are new t exercising regularly, so I wouldn't worry about that. No crossfit induced injuries for me either in the last 3 years!

Advertisement