Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Racquet Advise!

• 28-05-2020 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Been using a Wilson Hyper Hammer 7.3 (95 Sq inch).

I've had it for I think something like 17/18 years old now.

Restrung last year but I'm trying to upgrade now, its just not up to what I want to do with it.

Wondering if anyone would have a minute to give a few recommendations?

Hoping to spend around the €180-200 mark

I know its all very specific to each player, but trying to find an all rounder racquet I guess.

I've just been going through lists of best racquets online, but would always prefer a real persons advise!

(Also, looking at doing an online purchase, and finding it hard to pick strings when theres literally 100+ varieties!)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Very difficult to try and pick a racquet online. I sell racquets and equipment, but meet people and let them hit a selection of racquets to see how they like it before they buy. I'm in Cork, and by the looks of your username I'd guess you're in Dublin, but if you want to PM me I'll try and go through some things to help you if I can.

As far as I can make out its about 285g unstrung. Some questions for you for both racquet and strings:

What kind of player are you: Baseliner/allrounder/net player
    Do you have a Grade for playing competition etc?
    Any problems with tennis elbow/shoulders?
    Do you hit the ball flat or put spin on it.
    Do you break strings a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

pm'd thanks

What kind of player are you: Baseliner/allrounder/net player - mixed I supposed

Do you have a Grade for playing competition etc? - nope! played in school competitions, don't think it was more than C ever, but thats 15 years ago. Just casual playing. Able to keep up with ok and somewhat decent players, not high level though, especially with this racquet

Any problems with tennis elbow/shoulders? - none

Do you hit the ball flat or put spin on it. - depends on the shot!

Do you break strings a lot? - never

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You have a lot of choice for your budget. You could have a look at Wilson Blade, Head 360 or Yonex eZone all around the 285/290g mark. Rackets.ie are based in Fitzwiliam TC, when they are open you can have a look and chat to them about your choices. I think they used to let you take them out for a try out, you could ask.

On strings stick to multifilament. Soft strings, and easy on the arm. Most racquets coming out of the factory will be strung with a version of their own strings. Wilson Sensation is a very nice string, and lasts well.

Theres plenty of variety for each of those as well though!
    Prices ranging from €150-240
    I'm guessing I should just throw money at this and get one of the most expensive racquets to get something more suitable, no?

iqmdublin wrote: »
    Theres plenty of variety for each of those as well though!
    Prices ranging from €150-240
    I'm guessing I should just throw money at this and get one of the most expensive racquets to get something more suitable, no?

If you have been playing a while and you are going to keep it up, by all means spend money on it. Bigger money doesn't necessarily mean a better racquet FOR YOU. Get into the shop in Fitzwilliam and have a chat with the guys there. When I was starting back years ago, I made beeline for the nicest looking racquet on the shelf. I would have been selling it a week later, if I had bought it. Totally wrong for my power level and swing style. I would personally suggest the Yonex eZone, it is a beautiful racquet. You may like the 285, 300 or 305g variant on it. Just because the Hammer was 285g, doesn't mean a heavier or lighter racquet wouldn't suit you better.

• Advertisement

Most important, is getting the grip size right :Grip size

This is the general rule of thumb (excuse the pun) which helps prevent tennis elbow etc. If you try a heavier racquet, bring it somewhere you can do a serving motion. Do 20 shadow serves (Without the ball) and see how the shoulder feels. if its aching, the racquet is too heavy.

Hi, been checking up Yonex Ezone, was it the 98 or the 100?

They seem to be coming in huge range of prices.

Wondering if then some sites have it as - Was €220, now €119, what to make of this?

https://www.tennispro.eu/yonex-ezone-98-limited-gold-285-gr-racquet-347518.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4uub2OYrocRA4Q1m17_2nbhrIIqu_px6zsCwfsr5UZfx4FpEn06IMIaAl7eEALw_wcB&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4uub2OYrocRA4Q1m17_2nbhrIIqu_px6zsCwfsr5UZfx4FpEn06IMIaAl7eEALw_wcB:G:s

There has been a new version released, so they have seen a price drop. You have a choice at 285g from there, Gold and Blue @98sq in and the blue @ 100 sq in. I'd go for the 100 to give yourself a small bit of leeway.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Most important, is getting the grip size right :Grip size

I’ve been using grip size 2, I think it’s too small no?
    From the horizontal crease to the top of the ring finger is 12.5cm = 4.9 inches

I did the check with my Size 2 grip, doing the handshake grip and there wasn’t space to put a finger, so looks like I need to go to size 3, or 4?

Here's a good site using both methods: Grip size measuring tape.
    It sounds like you should be a Grip size L4. All the Yonex eZones on that site only go up to L3, but it is possible to put a heat shrink grip on it which would bring it up a full grip size.

Here is L3 and L4 Tennis Warehouse.

• Advertisement

trying to upload a photo : /

whiterebel wrote: »
    Here's a good site using both methods: Grip size measuring tape.
    It sounds like you should be a Grip size L4. All the Yonex eZones on that site only go up to L3, but it is possible to put a heat shrink grip on it which would bring it up a full grip size.

Here is L3 and L4 Tennis Warehouse.

ah, 4 is quite a bit difference! I'm thinking i need to definitely wait till the shop is open so : /

iqmdublin wrote: »
    trying to upload a photo : /

It looks to me like the bottom of the ruler is too low. Align it with the bottom lateral crease. From your photo you need to go up at least 1.5cm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Head Radical MP - an absolute beauty

thanks for this! a friend just bought one actually, I gave it a shot as well, was tough because I'd just bought myself a Babolat Pure Drive 300g in the shop on the same day! And i actually felt more 'at home' with his racquet when I gave it a go!

Bought the Babolat Pure Drive 300g in Martyn Evans - (Fitzwilliam)
    Basically got told the racquet I had wasn't great (which I knew already).

Got given a size 3, with an overgrip?

I was thinking size 4, but they didn't have and said it'd be grand, I dunno! still sort of wishing I'd gotten the right size!

But I didnt want to go in, try out their racquets and then be a douche and buy online!

As a reseller myself, I'd appreciate your honesty in trying to buy where you try. But if they can't give you the correct size, or at least order it, I would go somewhere else. The most important thing, as I said above, is getting the grip size right. Putting an overgrip on a size L3 brings it up a half size to an L3.5. You could try another overgrip on top of that - not ideal but it would help. Small grip size with that racquet may lead to problems with tennis elbow, the Pure Drive is very stiff as well. If you haven't stripped off the plastic from the handle, I'd be looking to bring it back, but I think it may be too late.

I'm wondering about it now :-/

As soon as I said I wanted an upgrade, the Babolat was the first and main racquet he went for.
    I didn't feel it was in any way similar to my old one, or even particularly comfortable feeling.

He said getting a grip 4 size is a problem with some racquets, and when I asked does it not matter using the wrong size, he downplayed that, basically saying it was up to each individual, what they prefer. And I was kinda caught a bit off with that because I had been using a 2 up until now, so I thought, oh well a 3 is better at least.

Haven't taken the wrapping off, but have played with it once, didnt get it scratched or anything.
    Wouldn't know what to go for even. I don't think they had the Yonex Ezone in stock even, I only saw head, babolat and wilson.

I've been swinging it around the house here a bit, the Babolat definitely feels comfortable for double handed shots, but for the single handed it seems heavy for me. Dunno :-/

Its a big jump in weight, even 15g makes a big difference. The Head Radical suggested above would play a lot more like your Wilson than the the Babolat Pure Drive, as would the Babolat Pure Strike. Might be worth asking if you can return it. You will get racquets online that go up to L5. Stock is a bit short every where at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I bought an off the shelf racquet last year with a L4 grip size (didn't even consider that when buying it). When I hold it with a continental grip my index knuckle is more naturally toward bevel 3 than the recommeded bevel 2. So this suggestes to me it's a little too wide for me. I tested this with a L3 racquet in the sports shop and indeed my index knuckle rests naturally on bevel 2 with that size.

But, the thing is my elbow tendonitis completely disappeared with the L4 racquet. And I much prefer the feel of it in general. L3 seems weak to me and conversly the L4 feels stronger.

So, should I stick with the L4? My strings broke this week and I'm wondering if I should stick with it or get a new racquet.

Grip size is a rule of thumb, so to speak. There are always exceptions. If you feel better with the L4 stay with it. Get it restrung if you like the racquet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement