Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three not sending text messages about data usage PAYG

Options
  • 27-05-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to others if you have PAYG and use the €20 monthly top up.

My 28 days expired without them sending a message either the day before or on the day about it's imminent expiry.

They also didn't send any message about using data outside of the plan.

Cost me about €50 of credit today (I know my own fault for leaving it there).

Oddly enough the text saying my balance was low had no problem being sent to me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I've had that problem intermittently. Some months you get a notice, other months you don't.
    I've also had my credit used up without any clear way to determine how.

Plus the texts saying "You've used x amount of data since blah date" always come hours (occasionally over a day) late, and the date referenced bears no relation to the date I topped up on.

There's no transparency whatsoever about how credit is actually used up. At one point last year I requested a month's worth of charges, it took them almost a month to supply them.

At this stage I'm at the point of requesting charge data back as long as they have it, and then porting out.

I think due to this lockdown, three has been hit in their revenues. Most people at home will not top up because they don’t need data due to the WiFi at home. Most calls are on the internet.
    I got some texts a few months ago telling me to top up within a few days because their system will be down at a future date. This happened at least twice.
    I also heard that they recently updated their terms where your €20 is used for internet only or credit only but I am thinking this applies only to new customers.
    For me, I turned off my mobile data on my phone completely. If you are using iPhone, make sure to do that in settings because the control panel will turn it off temporarily and could use up the airtime when you are out.
    My credit was later used up when I tried calling a friend whose number was an international number but my phone made a regular call instead of a FaceTime call.
    I will still not be recharging because I use Skype for phone calls to local and international numbers at a cheap rate. So Three will still not be getting my money in the nearest future.

MOH wrote: »
    I've had that problem intermittently. Some months you get a notice, other months you don't.
    I've also had my credit used up without any clear way to determine how.

Plus the texts saying "You've used x amount of data since blah date" always come hours (occasionally over a day) late, and the date referenced bears no relation to the date I topped up on.

There's no transparency whatsoever about how credit is actually used up. At one point last year I requested a month's worth of charges, it took them almost a month to supply them.

At this stage I'm at the point of requesting charge data back as long as they have it, and then porting out.

Why do you use three if I may ask?
    If because of the all you can eat data, don’t port your number. Just get a new sim maybe?
    I know that they changed the terms of the new customers who won’t get to keep their credit with the all you can eat data.
    Obviously if this doesn’t apply to you Then you can port. I for one lived in a dig so I didn’t pay for my WiFi as they didn’t let me use the WiFi, I needed an all you can eat data plan. Now I have a WiFi at my new place so I will not be topping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This has been an issue for a long time, they don't guarantee advance notification of plan expiry so the only way to avoid credit being consumed by out of plan charges is to spend it on...

A. Data add ons
    B. Purchases that allow carrier billing (eg play store)
    C. Third party VOIP app credit to use for calls eg Yolla

Advertisement