Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I will not pay more than 20 for a case >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I will not pay more than 20 for a case >.<

official case is 20 in gamestop comes with a screen protector

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Which is better the Hori or the official one? I'll be travelling a lot with the Switch (flew 100,000km last year) which is making me lean towards the Hori?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Which is better the Hori or the official one? I'll be travelling a lot with the Switch (flew 100,000km last year) which is making me lean towards the Hori?

I got the official one and I like it but it's more expensive than the Hori. It comes with a screen protector which I didn't want to use but guess I will have to after seeing the scratching that the dock can do!! :mad: Not sure if the Hori comes with a screen protector??

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Haven't had need to put the console in the official case yet, but had a look at it last night. Looks nicely designed, with the piece in the middle for the games/cable/accessory storage folding away from the screen, so that there'll be no scratching, with the side facing the screen being felted. Storage 'slots' for 5 game carts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loving the new thread name!
    Clever...
    350x700px-LL-97aa244b_clever-girl-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i wonder if its a once off thing linked to the card serial or something

like what would happen if i got another zelda would i be able to claim more points?

It is once per cart yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

There's feck all to redeem with points anyhow - discounts on digital purchases seems the best, but there's no physical items that I can see (like there was with the old club nintnedo)

Edit : I see they've added a new section under "Redeem Points" - it's " COMING SOON Nintendo Switch rewards", so hopefully it's be some discounts for games on eShop...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't want discounts, I would much prefer soundtracks, pins, the occasional exclusive game, the stuff Club Nintendo were famous for.
    I have a nice selection of Ninty goodies got over the years, including the reproduction Game & Watch, soundtracks for SSB and Kirby Triple Deluxe, things that you can't get even on the Nintendo shop.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't want discounts, I would much prefer soundtracks, pins, the occasional exclusive game, the stuff Club Nintendo were famous for.
    I have a nice selection of Ninty goodies got over the years, including the reproduction Game & Watch, soundtracks for SSB and Kirby Triple Deluxe, things that you can't get even on the Nintendo shop.
    Yep - I agree - I want actual physical items; it's sh1te compared to what was on club nintendo

Anybody here get Bomberman R ?
    I love bomberman games but the 3d-ish view is really putting me off.
    I'm sure I'll get used to it, but always seem to misplace the bombs - they always seem to drop a square ahead of where I want them...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah. I have the The End CD, soundtracks for Link Between Worlds, Mariokart and SSB, coasters, a game case, matching Mario & Luigi window shades (which the kids trashed before I could beat a little respect for collectables into 'em!) and a couple of mushroom cup trophies. And looking at them I'd say my Mrs is delighted Ninty don't do physical goods anymore.

Doesn't help that points have such a short shelf life.

I'd have thought giving a small lump of gold for the Switch itself and sticking some VC games on there to buy with them would have been a great way to push people towards the site, see the benefits of gold coins and then see how much more of them you get for buying eShop over Retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I like the digital discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Has anyone tried Nintendo's Parental Control app for their phone?
    Pretty clever. Even if you don't have kids, it's great as a log to track how much time you've played games on your Switch.
    I expect that the remote control functions would be VERY useful if you have kids too.

(Yeah, before anyone says it - it would be better as an app on the console, like the Wii U version)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.znma
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nintendo-switch-parental-controls/id1190074407?mt=8

Anybody got a recommendation for a case for the switch ? I've been looking on Amazon and the reviews are average at best on most of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I picked up the Hori one, it's fine. €18.99 in Argos. I'm not throwing it around yet though. It fits snuggly in the case with joy cons attach. The screen protector is nice but it only covers the screen whilst the case is closed as it's attached to the top half of the case.

I got a GS own brand one, it's a little on the large size but will keep the Switch safe, as well as carry a whole bunch of games, as of now two... or rather one because Zelda is living in the cart slot of the console right now.

I have the Nintendo official one (20 quid in Smyths) - Opened the case just now and the screen was on, clearly a button got pressed in my bag. Which tells me 2 things :
    1. Even though I chose "Power Options : Power OFf" rather than sleep, the Switch does what it bloody likes.
    2. The Nintendo official case won't protect the Switch for buttons getting depressed.

It's very plain, but in a "classy" way. It's a very snug fit (in a good way) - you don't have to worry that the Switch will be rolling around in there. Has a padded stand / game card slot thing in the middle - I don't know if this sits over the screen or under the body (to raise it off the bottom, making room for the triggers). There is no room for extra Joycons or those rails you slide over the joycons for 2P mode. The outside is Firm rather than Hard. It yields, like stiff leather. It would not stop a bullet, you know?

All in all, it's not the case I wanted but I needed a case and a screen protector and this offered both at a reasonable price and at very short notice.

BTW - can't remember what thread it was asked on but RobbingBandit : I am currently charging my Switch with a USB A-C cable coming off an Anker QC3 1-port charger. The Switch recognised that it was plugged in, I've gotten maybe 10% charge in the last 15 minutes. No noticeable heat from the charger or cable so far. IF you want the Amazon links let me know.

With regard to USB A-C adapters for A-MicroUSB cables, I've heard the biggest problem with going A-C is using cables that don't have a resistor to limit current flow, so you get a large amount of heat generated which can cause problems with cheaper cables and/or with the charger itself. I don't think it damages the device directly but when your house catches fire the device will probably not grow legs and run to safety.

Edit : Linked to the Parental Control app. Really disappointing. It doesn't seem to have granular controls for individual profiles - I've set one up for each of my daughters (and they've agreed on who's Japan, who's US, who's UK for eShop purposes :D) and would prefer I could set time limits for them that don't affect me when I'm playing, without needing to keep juggling the settings...

Edit 2 : OK, applied the supplied screen protector. I spent around 5-8 minutes polishing the screen, removing dust and any detritus. It comes with 2 strips of clear tape to assist with this and/or lift the protector if it's misaligned. Started well but the protector has a 2 stage backing on it - you remove the first half, line up with the bottom of the screen, then go for the rest. And when I removed the 2nd part of the backing something fell off it and got stuck under the protector. Son of a bitch! And that tape I mentioned earlier did not lift the protector one fecking inch (but was great for clearing off unwanted dust.)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was listening to IGN's Game Scoop podcast this morning and a listener emailed in regarding a record keeping section on the Switch.

Apparently after a week, your activity section changes from "last played 3 days ago" to "played for x hours".

One of my favourite features on Nintendo systems. Glad it's there in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Banjo wrote: »

Edit : Linked to the Parental Control app. Really disappointing. It doesn't seem to have granular controls for individual profiles - I've set one up for each of my daughters (and they've agreed on who's Japan, who's US, who's UK for eShop purposes :D) and would prefer I could set time limits for them that don't affect me when I'm playing, without needing to keep juggling the settings...

I don't understand why people have multiple profiles/accounts for accessing other regions I just went to my Nintendo account on my phone changed my profile to an other region went to Eshop then changed it back.

Surely one profile/account is better than 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Week 1 impressions:

- Console itself is a very sleek design and is smaller than I thought possible considering it somewhere between a Wii U and Xbox One in terms of power
    - The "switch" feature works exactly as advertised and is very seamless
    - The UI is very basic at the moment but also very fast. I can see a huge amount being added with an update in the next few months
    - Line-up of games seems pretty shallow but saying that, I have Zelda, Fast RMX & Snipperclips bought so that's enough to keep me going for a good while
    - Fast RMX is a nice game to play in quick blasts and works great in portable mode too. A full F-Zero game NEEDS to be made at some point though
    - Snipperclips is as fun as the previews showed and has already been a cause of arguments with the wife!
    - Zelda (which I only got on Tuesday) is simply stunning. I generally wouldn't be one for "open world" games but this feels different somehow. I'm only just past the Great Plateau but everything so far has been a joy and I really like the quick puzzle style of the shrines.
    - Only negative so far would be that there definitely is some framerate issues with Zelda (only when running through long grass for me) but I'd hope these could be resolved with an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mr E wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Nintendo's Parental Control app for their phone?
    Pretty clever. Even if you don't have kids, it's great as a log to track how much time you've played games on your Switch.
    I expect that the remote control functions would be VERY useful if you have kids too.

(Yeah, before anyone says it - it would be better as an app on the console, like the Wii U version)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.znma
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nintendo-switch-parental-controls/id1190074407?mt=8

Apparently the switch activity log unlocks after 1 week which is pretty bizarre

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/8/14854136/nintendo-switch-activity-log-surprise

Should start showing up for people today or tomorrow as it may not be exactly 1 week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,631 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Anybody got a recommendation for a case for the switch ? I've been looking on Amazon and the reviews are average at best on most of them...

Im waiting for the snakebyte one, its got elastic straps unlike the Hori or official nintendo one that keep it secured in the case.

Apparently stock should be delivered to retailers soon, amazon still has a 1-2 month delivery time on them right now

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I don't understand why people have multiple profiles/accounts for accessing other regions I just went to my Nintendo account on my phone changed my profile to an other region went to Eshop then changed it back.

Surely one profile/account is better than 3 ?

There's more to it than that.
    My eldest wanted to play Zelda, but she doesn't want to get involved in combat, so I let her start her own game. She picked Samus as her icon, but the next sister down was watching and bagsied being Princess Peach. Well, 2 of them having accounts and none for the third, that will never do! So 3 accounts it is. And just to ensure none of them feel tacked on I'm assigning a region to each of them so life is ever so slightly easier than it would be if I were constantly changing my region.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Also, if you change region on a single account, you lose all credit on the old region...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Star Lord wrote: »
    Also, if you change region on a single account, you lose all credit on the old region...

Ah thanks for that bit of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Star Lord wrote: »

Until you change it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

manual_man wrote: »
    Until you change it back?

Nope. Gone forever.

Just set up separate accounts, that is what I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Blaster master seems good

Advertisement