Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Princess Fiona

Thanks for the reply, I realise there's no way to know for definite, just wondering what people's recent experiences of this have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

If I bought something online from the USA and it cost's $31.99 USD (including shipping), roughly how much tax/duty/vat would I have to pay if customs opened my package?

I'm talking about cosmetics/skincare.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you read post #1, because the answer is there.

jor el wrote: »
    Have you read post #1, because the answer is there.
    Yeah, but I'm confused.

Do I add 21% onto $31.99 USD or whatever $31.99 is in Euros?

It doesn't matter what currency you choose, you'll pay in € anyway. 21% is always 21%.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what currency you choose, you'll pay in € anyway. 21% is always 21%.
    Thank you.

So I'll add the VAT/Tax/Duty onto the USD price and hopefully it'll be right anyway.

It doesn't matter what currency you add the tax to, it'll be the same when you convert it to euro.

Duty won't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Last month I had to pay duty on two CD box sets from Rhino.com. Sent via regular USPS. Seems to be tighter than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cork-spotters

I'm looking to import a musical instrument from the US.
    The instrument is about 50-60 years old and was originally manufactured in Germany, then at some point (either immediately after manufacture, or at a later date) was imported TO the US.

As it originally came from Europe, would TAX/DUTY still be payable on it?

If I collected the instrument in person and brought it back with my by air, what are the chances of getting pulled going through customs?

You're buying it in, and importing it from, the US, so the fact that it originates in Germany is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

If you have sold an item to a person outside the EU & they are sending it back for repair, how can this be handled so as VAT & duty are not applicable - it will be exported again after repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

Just been asked to send in my Paypal receipt, how did they know I used paypal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

r-i-tect wrote: »
    Just been asked to send in my Paypal receipt, how did they know I used paypal :confused:

They (I presume customs ?) would have gone on the law of average that items bought over the Internet have been bought using paypall. Nothing more sinister than that.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    They (I presume customs ?) would have gone on the law of average that items bought over the Internet have been bought using paypall. Nothing more sinister than that.

No, they wouldn't do that. There must be some form of invoice with the package, and Paypal must be printed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

last month i bought an iphone from the usa.
    it cost 150euro along with postage.
    it was shipped via usps priority mail international.

it wasnt labelled as gifts but for some reason i didnt get taxed.

Any idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

jocko4 wrote: »
    If you have sold an item to a person outside the EU & they are sending it back for repair, how can this be handled so as VAT & duty are not applicable - it will be exported again after repair?

when they send it they will need to mark it for "repair and return".. you may also need to get an import SAD from when you sent it to prove it was shipped from you originally

DYLF wrote: »
    when they send it they will need to mark it for "repair and return".. you may also need to get an import SAD from when you sent it to prove it was shipped from you originally

Thanks DYLF,
    What's an import SAD. Most of the customs stuff leaves me sad but not as bad as the €600 charge that a girl down the road was being charged for a wedding dress from the US (The post guy who called to me looking for import duty was telling me that this was his next call)

He also told me about the powers of these guys - they can walk into your home without a warrant & take ownership of anything. He told me of a case (this might be urban legend stuff) that a politician's wife grabbed the package (cosmetics) off the postman & slammed the door on him - didn't pay the duty. After ignoring numerous payment request letters, they nabbed her driving her BMW out of the driveway, put it immediately to auction & the first bid got it - a €40,000 car bought for €4,000 - they took their cut (& you can imagine the handling charges were high :) & gave her the loose change left!

jocko4 wrote: »

He also told me about the powers of these guys - they can walk into your home without a warrant & take ownership of anything. He told me of a case (this might be urban legend stuff) that a politician's wife grabbed the package (cosmetics) off the postman & slammed the door on him - didn't pay the duty. After ignoring numerous payment request letters, they nabbed her driving her BMW out of the driveway, put it immediately to auction & the first bid got it - a €40,000 car bought for €4,000 - they took their cut (& you can imagine the handling charges were high :) & gave her the loose change left!

wouldnt believe that for a second.. if it is not paid it would usually be passed on to a debt collection agency to recover the debt...

SAD - Single Administrive Document
    every shipment coming into or going out of the country has one of these done up for it. so if you need proff of import or export you just neeed to contact the courier you sent it with / recieved it from and they should be able to provide this for you

DYLF wrote: »
    wouldnt believe that for a second.. if it is not paid it would usually be passed on to a debt collection agency to recover the debt...
    Yea, a bit of an urban legend about the whole story, I thought

SAD - Single Administrive Document
    every shipment coming into or going out of the country has one of these done up for it. so if you need proff of import or export you just neeed to contact the courier you sent it with / recieved it from and they should be able to provide this for you
    What if it's being posted - do the post office have such a document?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hi
    Just checked tracking ona parcel from China , and it says that my item ( cosmetics ) has been sent to Customs from the Dublin Mail Centre .

What happens next and can I ring the Customs for an update ?

• Advertisement

You wait for it to be delivered, at which time you'll be asked to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You will either get a letter saying you owe X amount for vat or you will get a letter saying it is fake and is being destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You will either get a letter saying you owe X amount for vat or you will get a letter saying it is fake and is being destroyed.

Just what we thought would happen - Wonder will they value the goods at Irish prices for VAT purposes

Could it be cash on delivery or will we have 30 days to pay vat

Just what we thought would happen - Wonder will they value the goods at Irish prices for VAT purposes

If there is no invoice with the delivery, they could value it themselves, or ask you to show your receipt.
    Could it be cash on delivery or will we have 30 days to pay vat

It could be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boardsiebob

Hi,
    why is Revenue sometimes asking for Paypal receipts? Is it that they don't believe the declared value? Do they run the package through a x-ray machine or something?
    Some Ebay sellers advertise that they will declare value below $30 to avoid vat and duty but this isn't going to work, or is it?

As well as declaring a value on the outside of any parcel, there should also be a description of the contents. This is how customs know whether the value sounds too low. They can also open and inspect it if they want to.

Hi,
    Is it that they don't believe the declared value?

this is exactly it. if you cant provide something to prove what you paid for it they will put their own value on it.. which of course is usually way more than you've paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boardsiebob

I want to buy an electronic inverter of Ebay from China, valued around 250euro.
    I am VAT registered. The parcel is send with DHL.
    Can I expect to pay import charges? I read that if you are VAT registered and import duty is 10 euro or less Revenue may not charge you import or VAT on the item. This is for a once off item not for continuous supply.
    Has anyone any experience with this situation?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

They're ripping me off by 16 euros for a media player I bought from Hong Kong on ebay that should have been 50 euro bringing it to 66 euros.
    So that was like 21% vat and 6 euros for handling it, though I didn't want the mean buggers to get their grubby hands on it in the first place.:mad:

I'm afraid to buy games or anything outside Europe in future now incase I get stung again.
    The rule of thumb seems to be if you buy something from outside Europe and the value is over 22 Euros you can get screwed by customs, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

quinnd6 wrote: »
    The rule of thumb seems to be if you buy something from outside Europe and the value is over 22 Euros you can get screwed by customs, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. You don't get ripped off or screwed, you imported goods and you pay the tax. Simple as that.

Advertisement