Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oven delivered no install as promised

• 04-08-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered an electric oven after weeks of waiting and back and forth the oven has finally arrived but it has just been left in front room. When placing order via phone I made it clear I wanted old oven removed and new one fitted.
    I have tried to reach the company via email, phone and messenger.
    What are my legal rights with regards this I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

We had the same issue with a washing machine. Guy delivering it said he wouldnt install it due to Covid-19 and he would be spending too much time inside the house to install it or something. I installed it myself and gave the local guy a few quid to check it for me and confirm it was done correctly. Pain in the hole but didnt have a choice once the guy refused to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

dobman88 wrote: »
    We had the same issue with a washing machine. Guy delivering it said he wouldnt install it due to Covid-19 and he would be spending too much time inside the house to install it or something. I installed it myself and gave the local guy a few quid to check it for me and confirm it was done correctly. Pain in the hole but didnt have a choice once the guy refused to do it.
    I have an email saying it will be delivered and fitted and old one removed.
    Did you buy from a big shop?

I wouldn't mind but I could have got it cheaper and within less than a week delivered from someone else. I paid more because they said they would install and remove old one!

I could probably have a go at a washing machine but I dunno if I could with an oven tbh....
    Plus now I have to find someone to take the old one.
    So I have a giant box sitting in my living room as zero room in kitchen ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not sure this is any help to you but I bought a washing machine a few weeks ago and two of the big retailers offered installation (for a fee). One was included in the bill (DID) and another was payable on the day (power city)

No problems on the day. Old one taken away and new one installed in about 15 minutes

Did you pay extra for installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Got ours from Power City. Had the same email saying removal and installation. He took the old one alright but just left the new one sitting there. I wasnt home and herself questioned it but was told he wasnt doing it and nothing he could do because of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My Aunt paid to have her oven installed and it was done, no bother. It was €40 with Harvey Norman.

• Advertisement

I bought from NRG store in cork.
    They have been a nightmare from start to finish like I said 7+ weeks and very hard to get them via phone.
    Yes I paid extra for shipping and installation, I made it very clear I needed that and the old one removed on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dobman88 wrote: »
    Got ours from Power City. Had the same email saying removal and installation. He took the old one alright but just left the new one sitting there. I wasnt home and herself questioned it but was told he wasnt doing it and nothing he could do because of covid.

FWIW our washing machine was installed with power city. Now I know this is a local arrangement type of thing but I’d be pretty annoyed if I ordered installation and it didn’t happen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

gmisk wrote: »
    I bought from NRG store in cork.
    They have been a nightmare from start to finish like I said 7+ weeks and very hard to get them via phone.
    Yes I paid extra for shipping and installation, I made it very clear I needed that and the old one removed on phone.

7 weeks? :eek: Sounds like they have broken their contract OP if installation was part of the deal. Its hard to buy their Covid excuse as plumbers and electricians have been doing house calls right throughout the lockdown. Its not like householders are standing over them coughing as they do their work. Had they explained in advance they wouldnt be installing due to Covid fair enough but they didnt, instead lumping you with an uninstalled oven.

You could go for the nuclear option, ring them up and saying you are returning it as they are not installing it as per agreement. That should perk them up into doing the right thing. I think thats what Id do in your situation, I certainly know I wouldnt go playing around with three phase electricity as a DIY job. It might be easy but it also might end up with you getting an almighty shock. Thats why people want installation as part of the deal and thats what should happen if its agreed.

I had a long phone call with manager today.

He was on his way to Dublin from cork....til....he realized it was wired into the wall....so needs an electrician.
    So he is going to get an electrician....seemingly in the next 24-48 hours to install it.

Apparently the girl who said they would install and take away the old oven....was incorrect...they don't offer that service.... and it was her first day.....they could have maybe told me that 7 weeks ago and I would have bought from someone else!

jesus thats pretty slack. Might have been her first day on the job but making up services they dont actually provide isnt very smart. Or maybe they do and the manager is just seeking a scapegoat for it not being installed on the day. Its a pretty normal service when buying an oven from what I've seen anyway.

At least it sounds like you are going to get it sorted now.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jesus thats pretty slack. Might have been her first day on the job but making up services they dont actually provide isnt very smart. Or maybe they do and the manager is just seeking a scapegoat for it not being installed on the day. Its a pretty normal service when buying an oven from what I've seen anyway.

I wouldn't mind but purposely paid a good bit more to get it from them because they were installing....they have taken so long other people are now installing anyway!
    But hey nearly there thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Think most ovens are wired in to the wall with a master switch to kill the power before going near it.Possibly looking at fuseboard to click the switch which will put light out on master switch on wall and switching that off.Big heavy cable to wire up to the back as did mine years ago but as advised leave to the electrician.They should offer a generous voucher for yanking yer chain.I bet if you left the old unit outside it would vanish=yes boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The chance are they do installation service on washing machines, dishwashers etc as they are easy to install and delivery person could do that.

Oven requires a registered electrician and the girl may not have realised it and nothing was noticed until the call today.

At least they are honoring the word of the staff member - some would try and get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wouldnt go playing around with three phase electricity as a DIY job. It might be easy but it also might end up with you getting an almighty shock. Thats why people want installation as part of the deal and thats what should happen if its agreed.

Very few houses in Ireland have a 3 phase supply so you won't have to worry about that. Still don't want to mess around with single phase supply though.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Very few houses in Ireland have a 3 phase supply so you won't have to worry about that. Still don't want to mess around with single phase supply though.

yeah definitely a job for a sparks. Im sure confident DIYers would do it no problems but personally feel electricity is not worth messing around with even if it looks easy on Youtube. Getting an electric shock is not a nice experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

greasepalm wrote: »
    Think most ovens are wired in to the wall with a master switch to kill the power before going near it.Possibly looking at fuseboard to click the switch which will put light out on master switch on wall and switching that off.Big heavy cable to wire up to the back as did mine years ago but as advised leave to the electrician.They should offer a generous voucher for yanking yer chain.I bet if you left the old unit outside it would vanish=yes boss.

A load of ovens just have a 3 pin plug now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

colm_mcm wrote: »

Dedicated ovens do; but what a lot of people mean by "oven" is a standalone unit - cooker, stove, whatever; which always need hard wiring unless they have gas burners. I can't tell which the OP means here.

We've never had a standardised high-amperage home connector probably because we don't need them; countries with 110v have them as they
    need them for electric washers and dryers too.

Must be light weight cookers if not using all that leccy like they used to do,so conversion would need sparks to add a box behind cooker to allow to plug in and still have power switch on wall in case next oven did not.:D

L1011 wrote: »
    Dedicated ovens do; but what a lot of people mean by "oven" is a standalone unit - cooker, stove, whatever; which always need hard wiring unless they have gas burners. I can't tell which the OP means here.

We've never had a standardised high-amperage home connector probably because we don't need them; countries with 110v have them as they
    need them for electric washers and dryers too.

Heard plenty of users in USA accidentally getting their hobs turning on by knocking against them and they dont fit off switches for their hobs or ovens and seen plenty of plastic based items melt.Glad we have cut off switches:D

greasepalm wrote: »
    Must be light weight cookers if not using all that leccy like they used to do,so conversion would need sparks to add a box behind cooker to allow to plug in and still have power switch on wall in case next oven did not.:D

I’m talking about a single oven/grill. 2400w with everything on.

• Advertisement

Cant remember the Belling the mother had but was duel purpose and the fan oven would just fit a 26lb turkey,and the small oven/grill above was well used.It did many wonderful things and used to bake in it.The fun has long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I’m talking about a single oven/grill. 2400w with everything on.

Load of cheap ovens have plugins.

Anything worth installing that's not free standing doesn't.

listermint wrote: »
    Load of cheap ovens have plugins.

Anything worth installing that's not free standing doesn't.

A load of ovens are cheap ovens :)

I think the self cleaning ones draw more power.

Advertisement