Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where Is George Gibney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

This podcast is listenable but not as good as it thinks it is or pretends to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Good episode today.

I'd have a few question marks about the assistant coach who posted bail. The description of the phone calls Gibney used to take by the swimming pool along with the allocations being made didn't ring alarm bells for him? Hmmmmm.

Also I would love to know which barristers/legal firm represented him. I wonder are they able to sleep well at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

BPKS wrote: »
    Good episode today.

I'd have a few question marks about the assistant coach who posted bail. The description of the phone calls Gibney used to take by the swimming pool along with the allocations being made didn't ring alarm bells for him? Hmmmmm.

Also I would love to know which barristers/legal firm represented him. I wonder are they able to sleep well at night.

I thought the phone calls came before the allegations and it was just something that he recalled afterwards? I didn't get the significance of the phone calls myself though? Anyone know what they were supposed to be, or just something weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm enjoying it for the most part! The constant withholding small bits of info like names etc is a bit annoying though. Like Gary, I was friends with this swimmer girl, I sent this swimmer girl messages, I sent a letter to a girl etc. Then that girl is xxxx

Other than that its interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Haven't had a chance to listen to todays one, but just to echo peoples admiration for Gary O'Toole, he was only 21 when he set out on this hunt. Brave young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Enjoying it so far, but if i had one criticism is that it the editing or direction\narrative seems a bit off to me going by the first two episodes. Hard to explain but there isnt enough like introduction or scene setting done beforehand. You just have to kind of guess whats happening, Like the part where they are driving to celbridge, they dont explain where or why they are going there, until they actually get there. Could be due to time contstraints but just wish they would slow it down a small bit and give a bit of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

allybhoy wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far, but if i had one criticism is that it the editing or direction\narrative seems a bit off to me going by the first two episodes. Hard to explain but there isnt enough like introduction or scene setting done beforehand. You just have to kind of guess whats happening, Like the part where they are driving to celbridge, they dont explain where or why they are going there, until they actually get there. Could be due to time contstraints but just wish they would slow it down a small bit and give a bit of context.

I have the feeling that it's meant to be like that.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I love it - almost an underwater sound to it, blended with nursery rhyme vibes - it's very fitting for the show. It was also specially written and composed for the show by Aaron Dessner of The National.

yes - very good tune

has a watery feel to it and evokes vibes of childhood and innocence - taken away by this selfish depraved pedo.

sounds of the period also.

so it is indeed very apt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Still Ill wrote: »
    I thought the phone calls came before the allegations and it was just something that he recalled afterwards? I didn't get the significance of the phone calls myself though? Anyone know what they were supposed to be, or just something weird?

Yeah, I didn't really get who you were meant to think was on the other side of the call or what they were about.

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't really get who you were meant to think was on the other side of the call or what they were about.

yes - a real red herring unless they are going to come back to that later and are not revealing it now to string you along....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm holding off on this until there's a few more episodes to listen too.

Though the fact that the Second Captains guys talk about it at least once in every single episode is beginning to put me off the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How the heck has GG never been arrested, charged or incarcerated.

I suppose he turned into a normal person on his arrival in Florida.

I am saving up the episodes for a binge listen, so forgive me if I am speaking out of turn here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Raoul wrote: »

Derry O' Rourke I presume.

Birds of a feather etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Still Ill

How the heck has GG never been arrested, charged or incarcerated.

I suppose he turned into a normal person on his arrival in Florida.

I am saving up the episodes for a binge listen, so forgive me if I am speaking out of turn here.

He was arrested and charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

BPKS wrote: »

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/04/29/the-chief-justice-her-brother-and-how-george-gibney-got-away/

It would appear his legal team set a precedent that not only allowed him to escape justice but also gave other abusers a get-out-of-jail free card. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

DeepBlue wrote: »
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/04/29/the-chief-justice-her-brother-and-how-george-gibney-got-away/

It would appear his legal team set a precedent that not only allowed him to escape justice but also gave other abusers a get-out-of-jail free card. :eek:

Lawyers gonna lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Definitely the best episode and the toughest to listen to today. That Frank McCann was some piece of work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Started over lunch today, the binge is kicking in, feels like it is going to a story well told even if the content is pretty grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Definitely the best episode and the toughest to listen to today. That Frank McCann was some piece of work

He was some piece of work. Between him, Gibney, O'Rourke, Doyle and Bennett there was a right life destroying racket going on.

If anyone's interested in victim bravery against all odds read up on Kyle Stephens and her life long fight with her abuser Larry Nasser who groomed her parents and the parents of scores of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

RTE already did this podcast.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/whistleblowers/

Didn't drag it out either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I stopped somewhere at the start of ep3. It’s really really dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The whole audio in the car at the start of some of the episodes sounded too contrived for me.
    Don't know why they included the bit about the local resident asking them what they were up to as it made them seem amateurish.
    Can only image the words that went around the area after that and given how he asked them was it someone in particular they were watching, I fear wild accusations could have followed in their wake.

Gary O'Toole had it all alright, athleticism, morals, character and obviously brains given he went on to become a surgeon. Fair play to him. Decent person and interesting to listen to on a range of subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I stopped somewhere at the start of ep3. It’s really really dragged out.

its not great tbh. They haven't added anything to what we already know.

Well packaged with the Aaron Dessner score etc but feel its all fur coat and no knickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Don't know why they included the bit about the local resident asking them what they were up to as it made them seem amateurish.

For me, that at least addressed the initial criticism of the podcast from another journalist (link on page one of this thread) who said that in spite of them presenting it like they carried out a slick and covert surveillance of Gibney, they were actually rumbled by the local neighbours in what was effectively a ramshackle and amateur operation. Seems that the journalist was essentially right on that one. Fair play to that brave guy for chasing them down in his bare feet to protect his family! Amazing bravery.

I am struggling a bit with the structure of the podcast as well. Would have preferred if the episodes had a more defined structure and sequence. It all seems pretty random. Still listening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Having listened to them all so far I also think its quite overrated based on many true crime like pods ive heard before. The central premise of where he is seems like an easy answer and while the obvious horror of the victims ordeals are laid out I'm not really sure of the whole purpose of the podcast except to highlight the story.

It isn't like the Serial where they question the innocence of the guilty or the teachers pet where no case was brought against the likely murderer.

GB got away on a technicality and went to America. Again I am just a bit unsure of what the podcast is actually achieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Beersmith wrote: »
    Having listened to them all so far I also think its quite overrated based on many true crime like pods ive heard before. The central premise of where he is seems like an easy answer and while the obvious horror of the victims ordeals are laid out I'm not really sure of the whole purpose of the podcast except to highlight the story.

It isn't like the Serial where they question the innocence of the guilty or the teachers pet where no case was brought against the likely murderer.

GB got away on a technicality and went to America. Again I am just a bit unsure of what the podcast is actually achieving.

This is just it. If you’re used to true crime style podcasts where the standard these days is very very high this can’t compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

How many episodes is there, is it ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Is there an undercurrent here that there was some sort of conspiracy or dare I say it a pedo ring at play?
    Now that would be a good reason for this podcast. They have skirted around it a bit alluding to questions about how did the supreme court made this decision, there was also a reference to Gormanstown very briefly on how they all brought swimmers down there at different times for "team building" but some of the same characters involved would have been there at the same time irrespective of whether they had their teams or individuals there or not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Another difficult listen today - the life that poor 'Susan' had because of this horrible b@stard.

Again, I hope the legal people who ensured he escaped justice listened to this and get a sick feeling and a few sleepless nights from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That was very grim today. Tough to listen to the story of Susan, and then Chalky trying to find a way to get the word out about how he feels now because of what happened.

Advertisement