Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Received a written reply today, postmarked Waterford, to my request for a review of the weekly rate.

The outcome of the review is I will remain on the lower rate.

It explicitly states "under PUP rating rules, self-employed incomes can only be examined in respect of the 2018 year and the income figures used by the Department for PUP (and all other schemes) is always the figure after capital allowances and deductible business expenses".

There is no return address on the letter and it's signed the "PUP Rerate Team".

There is also no invitation to submit 2019 tax return details.

Has anyone had a similar letter or have they been invited to submit 2019 details?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ATC110 wrote: »
    Received a written reply today, postmarked Waterford, to my request for a review of the weekly rate.

It explicitly states "under PUP rating rules, self-employed incomes can only be examined in respect of the 2018 year and the income figures used by the Department for PUP (and all other schemes) is always the figure after capital allowances and deductible business expenses".

Has anyone had a similar letter or have they been invited to submit 2019 details?

As far as I know, permitting 2019 returns is only being considered by government, there's been no decision on this.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Dempo1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, permitting 2019 returns is only being considered by government, there's been no decision on this.
    That's not what the Minister said in the Dáil debate on Tuesday. Perhaps the letter was written before the Minister spoke. It's quite possible the relevant sections haven't been informed of the changes yet.

mystic wrote: »
    That's not what the Minister said in the Dáil debate on Tuesday. Perhaps the letter was written before the Minister spoke. It's quite possible the relevant sections haven't been informed of the changes yet.

You'll need to confirm this but this is only being considered but not agreed on or finalised, if there's something I've missed, apologies but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

Just went through all uodates on the website, updated 27 July & 30 July, no changes re 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭64869923

Sorry to hear that. I have an idea how you feel, my start up costs for 2018 were monstrous. The money still has to be earned even if it is tax deductible and it's grossly unfair that it isn't included.

I'll tell ya, I actually considered applying for jobs today. It's a funny one, a job feels secure and you are paid on a regular basis but it isn't much more secure than being self-employed. The only real difference in terms of security is the pain the self-employed go through developing their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Frostybrew

If this is the case, then it should work both ways. Any self employed person should be able to continue receiving the PUP while working, until the amount of their capital allowances and expenses has been reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

You'll need to confirm this but this is only being considered but not agreed on or finalised, if there's something I've missed, apologies but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

Just went through all uodates on the website, updated 27 July & 30 July, no changes re 2018

There's an update.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c4828-self-employed-and-the-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

mystic wrote: »

It doesn't mention whether the increased payment would be backdated or not

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HereinBray

HereinBray wrote: »
    (Yet) Another update

Just got a response to my mail sending off my PRSI payment backup (July 7th) stating that my claim has been awarded and I'll get paid next week. (Happy Dance)

I've asked the question about back payments and will update as I hear.

Thanks and good luck everyone

HIB

The plot thickens!

Got a refusal email from the second application I made yesterday - no record of PRSI etc etc. When I log into my Welfare I can only see the disallowed claim.

This is nuts. I've mailed the person who advised that my original claim was allowed.

Have a nice long weekend!

HIB

The plot thickens!

Got a refusal email from the second application I made yesterday - no record of PRSI etc etc. When I log into my Welfare I can only see the disallowed claim.

This is nuts. I've mailed the person who advised that my original claim was allowed.

Have a nice long weekend!

HIB

Confused, approved and then disallowed??

• Advertisement

Confused, approved and then disallowed??

Me too!!!!

My original application was approved yesterday. When I called the helpline before it was approved I was advised to submit another application. This is the one that has now been Disallowed.

Yesterday I was able to see that I was eligible for the payment - not so today.

Sick of the whole flipping thing to be honest.

HIB

Me too!!!!

My original application was approved yesterday. When I called the helpline before it was approved I was advised to submit another application. This is the one that has now been Disallowed.

Yesterday I was able to see that I was eligible for the payment - not so today.

Sick of the whole flipping thing to be honest.

HIB

It's an absolute disgrace, will they won't they? It's seem they make decisions on a whim, just awful to put people through this. I was hoping the new update re 2019 would help people. Just hoping it's an error and keeping fingers crossed for you

It's an absolute disgrace, will they won't they? It's seem they make decisions on a whim, just awful to put people through this. I was hoping the new update re 2019 would help people. Just hoping it's an error and keeping fingers crossed for you

My contact just got back to me - they have re-allowed (even a word!) my claim.

Apparently the system isn't recognising my PRSI contributions.

Hopefully I'll see the money in my account next week......

Thanks

HIB

My contact just got back to me - they have re-allowed (even a word!) my claim.

Apparently the system isn't recognising my PRSI contributions.

Hopefully I'll see the money in my account next week......

Thanks

HIB

Mother of God, its almost like there trying to wind up people, but delighted for you, well done for the perseverance, have a less stressful and nice long weekend :)

Just a thought, payment files sent on Thursday for payment so might be another week so don't panic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes posts have been deleted...I`sure you all know why.....

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Hello, if one is on covid19 payment of 350 per week self employed but is in 2 minds to go back to work. Has been staying off because of throat infections, other issues that if covid19 was got, could really effect them more. Has the potential of a small job to go to but is worried if they come off for just one job, will they be able to cliam again if a second wave comes or will they not be eligible again. Have seen something posted about people not being able to cliam after a certain date!

kingbhome wrote: »
    Hello, if one is on covid19 payment of 350 per week self employed but is in 2 minds to go back to work. Has been staying off because of throat infections, other issues that if covid19 was got, could really effect them more. Has the potential of a small job to go to but is worried if they come off for just one job, will they be able to cliam again if a second wave comes or will they not be eligible again. Have seen something posted about people not being able to cliam after a certain date!

Morning, on looking at the updated rules, you may have to close payment, even for a small job but it says you can reapply but keep in mind no new claims after 17th September will be processed, I guess it's really down to a decision on will a once off job be worth it, close claim and go through process to claim again before 17th September, keep in mind also, payment is reducing also in September. Good luck :)

Morning, on looking at the updated rules, you may have to close payment, even for a small job but it says you can reapply but keep in mind no new claims after 17th September will be processed, I guess it's really down to a decision on will a once off job be worth it, close claim and go through process to claim again before 17th September, keep in mind also, payment is reducing also in September. Good luck :)

On gov.ie it states “ You may, if your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment if it was offered to you, receive a payment for so long as you are available to take up other work”

This reads that you can still have some trading income and be in receipt of the PUP so if that applies then the rules are not being breached?

On gov.ie it states “ You may, if your trading income has collapsed to the extent that you are available to take up other full-time employment if it was offered to you, receive a payment for so long as you are available to take up other work”

This reads that you can still have some trading income and be in receipt of the PUP so if that applies then the rules are not being breached?

Morning, yes I saw that but the ambiguity seems to arise when they refer to actively seeking work, fully unemployed, I guess my reading of it is the fully unemployed bit and I could be wrong, I found this below, scroll down to rules etc Recent update

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

Morning, yes I saw that but the ambiguity seems to arise when they refer to actively seeking work, fully unemployed, I guess my reading of it is the fully unemployed bit and I could be wrong, I found this below, scroll down to rules etc Recent update

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

I don’t see where it mentions “fully employed” and not sure of the context you’re referring to it?

• Advertisement

I don’t see where it mentions “fully employed” and not sure of the context you’re referring to it?

Apologies, typo, Fully Unemployed

They didn't say - I'll let you know when it hits the bank account (fingers crossed!)

Hi All,

Money hit my account this morning! The higher rate.

HIB

Hi All,

HIB

Delighted for you :)

Delighted for you :)

Thank you so much.

I have to say that you're a great asset to this thread - thanks for all your help!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amd1982

Hi All,

HIB

That’s brilliant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

thread closed

Thread reopened.........I trust that we will not have any further reasons to close it again

MP22

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

Hi All,

HIB

Fantastic news!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

This is still what it says on gov.ie under the self-employed section – even after it's been updated – so this is what I go by.

If you have a minuscule bit of work as self-employed that in no way amounts to a regular income so personally, I would leave the claim as is. You'll pay tax on everything – earnings and the PUP – and if you have no income coming in and your claim is closed, I've heard it's impossible to get it re-opened.

• Advertisement

This is still what it says on gov.ie under the self-employed section – even after it's been updated – so this is what I go by.

If you have a minuscule bit of work as self-employed that in no way amounts to a regular income so personally, I would leave the claim as is. You'll pay tax on everything – earnings and the PUP – and if you have no income coming in and your claim is closed, I've heard it's impossible to get it re-opened.

Hi there, yes I think your both right, Heather Humphries was interviewed on the news at one and was grilled about a few things but she clearly stated the self employed can take up one off, small jobs without their claim be affected.

There maybe be a podcast of the show if anyone wants to listen back :)

Try this, about half way through
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21814571

Advertisement