Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

I got the news today that, as a self-employed person, I won't be going back on the higher rate. Their reasoning was as follows:

As I've only been self-employed since January 2019, I haven't yet filed my first tax return as a self-employed person for 2019 (though I'm in the process of doing it now).

This naturally means there'd be no self-employment tax return for me for 2018 as I was an employee.

And as I've not filed my 2019 tax return yet, which would tell Revenue I'm officially self-employed, they still identify me as an employee on record (and also because those are the last statements they have on me there). So now, because they think I'm still an employee and there's nothing on record for me for January and February of this year in terms of any earnings (there wouldn't be, as I'm self-employed!) my income is defined as NIL and I get the lower payment.

I also have NIL self-employment earnings for 2018 as I was an employee then too, so again, the lower rate is what I get put on.

So, in short, any newly self-employed will automatically lose out which is very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Snow_White1987, how were you contacted?

I've checked on MyWelfare but no new messages

ATC110 wrote: »
    Snow_White1987, how were you contacted?

I've checked on MyWelfare but no new messages

They sent me an email at 4pm today!

It looks like they have staff working weekends to try and sort out the backlog...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,914 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I got the news today that, as a self-employed person, I won't be going back on the higher rate. Their reasoning was as follows:

As I've only been self-employed since January 2019, I haven't yet filed my first tax return as a self-employed person for 2019 (though I'm in the process of doing it now).

This naturally means there'd be no self-employment tax return for me for 2018 as I was an employee.

And as I've not filed my 2019 tax return yet, which would tell Revenue I'm officially self-employed, they still identify me as an employee on record (and also because those are the last statements they have on me there). So now, because they think I'm still an employee and there's nothing on record for me for January and February of this year in terms of any earnings (there wouldn't be, as I'm self-employed!) my income is defined as NIL and I get the lower payment.

I also have NIL self-employment earnings for 2018 as I was an employee then too, so again, the lower rate is what I get put on.

So, in short, any newly self-employed will automatically lose out which is very disappointing.

So sorry to hear this, very disappointing and no doubt frustrating, particularly after all the information you submitted.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HereinBray

They sent me an email at 4pm today!

It looks like they have staff working weekends to try and sort out the backlog...

Wow - that's good to hear - hopefully the backlog will be cleared soon.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the higher payment. It's a pain - but at least you have a better idea of how you're fixed.

Did they mention anything about back payments? And when you would actually get paid?

Thanks so much for sharing the info - you're very good.

HIB

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So sorry to hear this, very disappointing and no doubt frustrating, particularly after all the information you submitted.

Ah thank you. It's disappointing as it seems the self-employed frequently lose out when it comes to these things but I'm exetremly grateful to get even the 203 per week for a bit longer – it all helps!

Ah thank you. It's disappointing as it seems the self-employed frequently lose out when it comes to these things but I'm exetremly grateful to get even the 203 per week for a bit longer – it all helps!

Keep the faith, hopefully things will improve generally in the coming weeks, months :)

HereinBray wrote: »
    Wow - that's good to hear - hopefully the backlog will be cleared soon.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the higher payment. It's a pain - but at least you have a better idea of how you're fixed.

Did they mention anything about back payments? And when you would actually get paid?

Thanks so much for sharing the info - you're very good.

HIB

They mentioned nothing about back payments (apart from a week I'm owed at the beginning of April I wouldn't be in receipt of any others) but, sadly, I don't imagine any back payments will realistically be sorted until closer to the PUP being finished – at least, that's what I was told on the PUP helpline.

Especially as they'll have three more sets of rate cuts to get through once September hits under the new PUP regulations! I assume they are trying to hurry the self-employed backlog along so all that doesn't overlap as it'll get very messy.

I would love to know if those on the €203 will stay on that for the forseeable though? That's what they don't say, there's only different rates announced if you're on the €350...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭64869923

They mentioned nothing about back payments (apart from a week I'm owed at the beginning of April I wouldn't be in receipt of any others) but, sadly, I don't imagine any back payments will realistically be sorted until closer to the PUP being finished – at least, that's what I was told on the PUP helpline.

Especially as they'll have three more sets of rate cuts to get through once September hits under the new PUP regulations! I assume they are trying to hurry the self-employed backlog along so all that doesn't overlap as it'll get very messy.

I would love to know if those on the €203 will stay on that for the forseeable though? That's what they don't say, there's only different rates announced if you're on the €350...

Sorry to hear that.

Based on the seriousness of the situation I believe that they will let people on the lower payment remain as they are, moving them to a social welfare payment would balloon the unemployment statistics and many would end up being casualties of this situation and become long-term unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amd1982

Has anybody heard of or had a successful appeal yet ? Still no reply to emails here

• Advertisement

amd1982 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of or had a successful appeal yet ? Still no reply to emails here

Not a peep - and I sent in my 2018 evidence 3 weeks ago today. I've sent a couple of reminders - and got one auto response on the 16th.

Thanks

HIB

Not a peep - and I sent in my 2018 evidence 3 weeks ago today. I've sent a couple of reminders - and got one auto response on the 16th.

Thanks

HIB

Same, mine went in on Friday 3rd.

I heard back but it was a no!

I don't know anyone who actually received a successful appeal yet.

I heard back but it was a no!

I don't know anyone who actually received a successful appeal yet.

So sorry to hear that after all the waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

I appealed by registered post on 2nd July. No reply yet

ATC110 wrote: »
    I appealed by registered post on 2nd July. No reply yet

Hopefully we hear soon it’s ridiculous at this stage helpline haven’t a clue either don’t know what it’s there at all

Hopefully we hear soon it’s ridiculous at this stage helpline haven’t a clue either don’t know what it’s there at all

Following another thread, a poster just said they applied for PUP early June, just got approved from the date applied, only one week payment though , seems the back dated issue is still not resolved even for new claimants, it's shocking

So sorry to hear that after all the waiting

Thanks, I wasn't too surprised.

They needed a self-employed tax return for 2018 and, as I only became self-employed in 2019, I automatically lost out (as will all newly self-employed!).

It seems unfair but they seem to be targeting those on PUP/self-employed which we know know is true from what's been reported in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Thanks, I wasn't too surprised.

They needed a self-employed tax return for 2018 and, as I only became self-employed in 2019, I automatically lost out (as will all newly self-employed!).

It seems unfair but they seem to be targeting those on PUP/self-employed which we know know is true from what's been reported in the news.

I was watching the Minister (Heather Humphreys) in the second stage debate earlier tonight. She said the Department would accept 2019 tax returns for self-employed people instead of 2018 if 2019 was more favourable.

It was in part when she was addressing the concerns of opposition TDs. It will be online.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

mystic wrote: »
    I was watching the Minister (Heather Humphreys) in the second stage debate earlier tonight. She said the Department would accept 2019 tax returns for self-employed people instead of 2018 if 2019 was more favourable.

It was in part when she was addressing the concerns of opposition TDs. It will be online.

Hope this helps

Found a link. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-07-28/43/
    Scroll to the end

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Latest update.

Called the helpline - they could see that my application had been disallowed on the 30th of June with no further updates on my account. Even though I had sent of proof of payment etc - and that my S contributions were fully visible.

The (very nice and helpful) person on the phone suggested that I submit my application again. She took the time to make sure that I was going to the correct place on the website etc. She also suggested calling again on Friday to make sure that everything looked ok.

So - anyone who is still waiting for their initial payment - I would suggest giving them a buzz on Phone: 1890 800 024. No harm.

Best of luck

HIB

Hi all,

Latest update.

Called the helpline - they could see that my application had been disallowed on the 30th of June with no further updates on my account. Even though I had sent of proof of payment etc - and that my S contributions were fully visible.

The (very nice and helpful) person on the phone suggested that I submit my application again. She took the time to make sure that I was going to the correct place on the website etc. She also suggested calling again on Friday to make sure that everything looked ok.

So - anyone who is still waiting for their initial payment - I would suggest giving them a buzz on Phone: 1890 800 024. No harm.

Best of luck

HIB

(Yet) Another update

Just got a response to my mail sending off my PRSI payment backup (July 7th) stating that my claim has been awarded and I'll get paid next week. (Happy Dance)

I've asked the question about back payments and will update as I hear.

Thanks and good luck everyone

HIB

(Yet) Another update

Just got a response to my mail sending off my PRSI payment backup (July 7th) stating that my claim has been awarded and I'll get paid next week. (Happy Dance)

HIB

Delighted for you, well done :)

More good news, government getting a kicking over targeting PUP recepients at airports, good day all round

(Yet) Another update

HIB

Me again - they don't have a date when arrears will be paid - but they are showing on the system - so once they have the date they will be paid.

Thanks guys.

HIB

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Delighted for you, well done :)

More good news, government getting a kicking over targeting PUP recepients at airports, good day all round

This is great news!

Did you get awarded the higher amount?

Me again - they don't have a date when arrears will be paid - but they are showing on the system - so once they have the date they will be paid.

Thanks guys.

HIB

Is this arrears for the PUP rate change or general PUP arrears?

mystic wrote: »

Hope this helps

Thanks so much, but given that it took them a month to get back to me, I’m not sure it’s worth re-submitting it is worth the hassle. I read they’ll be looking at all PUP claims again in September anyhow to try and save millions of euro!

I can’t help but feel being on the PUP from now will just cause issues, given what’s in the news of late.

I’m filing my 2019 tax in the next couple of weeks anyhow (my accountant is working on it now), just to have it done so that I’m not caught out with tax again!

This is great news!

Did you get awarded the higher amount?

They didn't say - I'll let you know when it hits the bank account (fingers crossed!)

Is this arrears for the PUP rate change or general PUP arrears?

For me - it's the general arrears - I haven't received anything at all yet.

• Advertisement

(Yet) Another update

HIB

Happy days! Hopefully you get the back money quick enough.

Advertisement