Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand Designs

• 09-10-2019 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

appledrop wrote: »
    If anyone here is watching Grand Design this evening its 3 million + counting + it's still just a shell !!!!!!

I dont think anyone can complain again about Room to Improve.

Maddest idea ever. Nut jobs, banks should have never have given them any money.

It doesn't stop at 3 either, and borrowed from a hedge fund at 8%! And he loses far more than money...

Still reckon he'll finish it, but won't own it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lol will have to give it a watch now. Nearly as good as the mad bastard on grand designs from Ireland who was upgrading a castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

If anyone here is watching Grand Design this evening its 3 million + counting + it's still just a shell !!!!!!

I dont think anyone can complain again about Room to Improve.

Maddest idea ever. Nut jobs, banks should have never have given them any money.

The high street banks did not fund him, he had to go to a hedge fund and pay 8%. Dermot the Starchitect would need a defibrillator if he had to deal with that client....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭appledrop

The 'eye' house they built was lovely + bunkered down from elements.

Why didn't here just build that + manage to keep his family + enjoy their childhood.

Now he is divorced with a lighthouse he will never live with his family or finish anyway.

Wacky out.

That's the second divorced this year on Grand Designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Pure greed. It was an enormous gamble that didn't pay off. And one that shouldn't have been facilitated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The banks facilitated him. His idea was good though. If he had sold the 'eye' he actually could have gotten through to the other side somewhat unscathed. As it was, it wasnt to be. Which is a real pity as I'm sure the finished product would have been stunning.
    He did get to the point of no return very quickly in the build, too quickly in fact and that meant there was probably never going to be a nice ending for him.
    Losing the marriage on top of that must have been really tough. I felt sorry for him in the end saying his vanity got him where he stood that day.
    A good watch all the same and strangely 'nice' to see it not turn out right. Good to see a show where it can all ho wrong also, from a monetary, time, family and house perspective. Tough on him and the family. Glad I got to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The banks facilitated him. His idea was good though. If he had sold the 'eye' he actually could have gotten through to the other side somewhat unscathed. As it was, it wasnt to be. Which is a real pity as I'm sure the finished product would have been stunning.
    He did get to the point of no return very quickly in the build, too quickly in fact and that meant there was probably never going to be a nice ending for him.
    Losing the marriage on top of that must have been really tough. I felt sorry for him in the end saying his vanity got him where he stood that day.
    A good watch all the same and strangely 'nice' to see it not turn out right. Good to see a show where it can all ho wrong also, from a monetary, time, family and house perspective. Tough on him and the family. Glad I got to see it.

Didn't understand why his estate agent was reluctant to sell The Eye while the Lighthouse was being built, surely the prospect of that being completed while living next door to it could only enhance a sale, albeit he was probably looking for too much for it..

What had he to do with the Euphoria albums? He was a music salesman no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Why didn't here just build that + manage to keep his family + enjoy their childhood.

Now he is divorced with a lighthouse he will never live with his family or finish anyway.

Wacky out.

I'm actually surprised there's not more divorces tbh.

I don't think I could put such blind faith in my partner like alot of them do.

That was a beautiful build though, really a shame it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm actually surprised there's not more divorces tbh.

I don't think I could put such blind faith in my partner like alot of them do.

That was a beautiful build though, really a shame it didn't work out.

After the publicity the show brings he may get new investors but sadly for him and his family it will never be their dream home. Was interesting that his daughter had the same drive as her father, very strong mind set for a young person.

I've noticed at the end of GD, with some of the more extreme builds and budgets that the body language between the couples in the final scene where they're sitting talking to Kevin can be very strained looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Didn't understand why his estate agent was reluctant to sell The Eye while the Lighthouse was being built, surely the prospect of that being completed while living next door to it could only enhance a sale, albeit he was probably looking for too much for it..

What had he to do with the Euphoria albums? He was a music salesman no?

Think he said it would look like a fire sale, I have to sell the Eye to finish my house. Any buyer would lowball big time as a result and he would not get anything near what he wanted /needed.
    Think he was a producer of the Euphoria label and had a deal whereby he got a percentage of the royalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

That episode of GD was mind blowing. Sensational looking house but not worth his family

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If he'd finished The Eye before starting the steel-work on the lighthouse he'd have finished it out. Bad project management all round tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol will have to give it a watch now. Nearly as good as the mad bastard on grand designs from Ireland who was upgrading a castle.

The difference being the mad bastard upgrading the castle had the pockets to finish the job even if it did cost more than originally anticipated.

Random question: I get why this was taken out of the room to improve thread but why not merge it with the grand design thread?

Edit: I see the other thread was locked...oops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That was a mad ep of Grand Designs alright, S20E06 if anyone's looking for it.

Felt bad for the guy, it turned him into a gambling addict and ruined his life, now theres probably another downturn plus Brexit to wreck his plans again and he's still talking about one more loan, I hope Kevin gave him a talking to off camera.

Saddest thing of all was that it would be a tacky Los Angeles hills style McMansion even if it had gone to plan, people should not be allowed to build eyesores like that on the coast anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ..board..

Random question: I get why this was taken out of the room to improve thread but why not merge it with the grand design thread?

Edit: I see the other thread was locked...oops :)

Maybe this would be better as a grand designs thread, start a new room to improve V2

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good idea. Done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But, but..... there already is a Grand Designs thread..... here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056982560/13/#post111476221

(Apologies if I should have used the report post button instead of posting)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But, but..... there already is a Grand Designs thread..... here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056982560/13/#post111476221

(Apologies if I should have used the report post button instead of posting)

Think I started a GD thread. Kevin has a lot of fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,819 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

honeybear wrote: »
    Think I started a GD thread. Kevin has a lot of fans!

I never knew there was a GD thread tbh :o
    I think having it in here is a great idea , it might get more footfall , only my opinion though !

• Advertisement

Maybe keep this thread for current season, I think it's season 20 on channel 4?

There's lots of repeats on other stations and might get confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What time/day is the current season on C4? Thought I had it set to record from previous seasons but it didnt link them like it normally does

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What time/day is the current season on C4? Thought I had it set to record from previous seasons but it didnt link them like it normally does

Wednesday at 9.. The rugby was on earlier so couldn't double check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Love Grand Designs. Fab escapist telly.

I still think of a GD episode I saw years ago. I’d love to know if they are still in the house as the lady said that they were in financial bother after the build. She had very opulent ideas that were gorgeous in reality.

Might try and see if I can find anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Lisha wrote: »
    Love Grand Designs. Fab escapist telly.

I still think of a GD episode I saw years ago. I’d love to know if they are still in the house as the lady said that they were in financial bother after the build. She had very opulent ideas that were gorgeous in reality.

Might try and see if I can find anything online

The All4 Player is great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

honeybear wrote: »
    The All4 Player is great

I was just on there and I found the episode but I don’t see that they ever had a revisit episode..... so I’m doomed to wondering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wacky out.

Any clue what the other divorced ep was?

Thargor wrote: »
    Any clue what the other divorced ep was?

Think episode 1 or 2 of this season, the guy was in a wheelchair from a motorcross accident when he was 15. They had 3 teenage kids and wanted to build a house beside their original house that was completely wheelchair accessible. As he was getting older and finding it harder to manage. She was a sahm and he designed bikes for motogp.
    She project managed the build but there was delays etc and about a year in the marriage broke up, she still managed the project and the house was finished but with the split it had to be sold. Very sad episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree the new lighthouse house was not attractive but the original 50s house was an ugly yoke too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The Eye on the other hand was great.

My favourite GD episode is still the 20K build in the forest. Legend.

Advertisement