Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rewatching all seasons before Season 8 arrives...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Rewatching has been so good. As first time around you wait week to week and year to year (or two) for the story to unfold. But knowing all the character arcs already, freed me up to enjoy the stories in a different way. There's no trying to figure anything out, can just enjoy it for what it is.

Gotta love Tywin's character at 1:00, had me laughing so much. (Even though it's obviously a very serious scene)
    Tyrion: All my life, you've wanted me dead.
    Tywin: Yes. But you refused to die. I respect that. Even admire it. You fight for what's yours.

Dumb **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

10 more days woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Finished this today. Season 5 and Season 7 are so bad in comparison to the other seasons.

Virtually all of the worst plots of the show take place in these 2 seasons.

This probably made me look forward to it less if anything, watching everything so closely together made it more obvious when the quality took gigantic nosedives and more recently the quality has just not been good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mokuba wrote: »
    Finished this today. Season 5 and Season 7 are so bad in comparison to the other seasons.

Virtually all of the worst plots of the show take place in these 2 seasons.

This probably made me look forward to it less if anything, watching everything so closely together made it more obvious when the quality took gigantic nosedives and more recently the quality has just not been good enough.
    Season 5 is weak alright but Hardhome is my favourite episode. It's just epic.

I didn't actually think 5 was too bad watching it back..7 was atrocious..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

For me Season 7 was saved by (a) the first time the lannister army see the Dothraki and the dragons and (b) the final reveal about Jons parentage and his real name.

I was ridiculed by certain posters on this forum when I offered the opinion that we would see the Tower of Joy scene again but without the whisper that obscured Jons name in a later season after the initial tease of it in Season 6.

I thought the Aegon reveal was terrible because they intertwined it with an incestuous sex scene, and had Bran narrate the whole thing.

The S6 finale scene, with no exposition and with a brilliant transition from baby Jon to adult Jon was so, so superior.

Down to director choice, Miguel Sapochnik is far superior to Podeswa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

^^^Agreed. That was a brilliant scene and that episode was one of the best in the series for me, even better than Battle of the Bastards before it.

....... wrote: »
    For me Season 7 was saved by (a) the first time the lannister army see the Dothraki and the dragons and (b) the final reveal about Jons parentage and his real name.

I was ridiculed by certain posters on this forum when I offered the opinion that we would see the Tower of Joy scene again but without the whisper that obscured Jons name in a later season after the initial tease of it in Season 6.
    Please can you explain to me how the decimated Lannister army managed to take High Garden? I'm not being sarcastic here. I always thought the Tyrell's had a far superior army and grain store, which is why Tywin wanted to forge an allegiance with them. High Garden should have been able to withstand a siege. Was it just poor writing to move the plot along or did I miss something? It's always bugged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Please can you explain to me how the decimated Lannister army managed to take High Garden? I'm not being sarcastic here. I always thought the Tyrell's had a far superior army and grain store, which is why Tywin wanted to forge an allegiance with them. High Garden should have been able to withstand a siege. Was it just poor writing to move the plot along or did I miss something? It's always bugged me.

I assumed large chunks of their army defected to the Lannisters after Cersei killed most of the Tyrrell's.
    The Tarlys at least switched sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

duploelabs wrote: »
    Worth taking a look at his audition reel, his change in demeanour is brilliant
    https://youtu.be/TIWX2fPx-5k

Yeah saw that a good while ago, brilliant. That particular scene was cut from the series too, which is weird as it was a good part of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

duploelabs wrote: »
    Try Alt Shift X

Just started watching the videos.

Exceptionally good.

It was extremely poor writing, just a few episodes previously - they couldn't take the castle in the Riverlands without Edmure betraying the Blackfish. The Blackfish told Jaime they could hold out for 2 years and while Highgarden didn't have a river around all of it, they still had a lot more resources available.

The writing in season 7 was an embarrassment. The Winterfell plot was the worst in the shows history, just barely followed by the quest beyond the wall and all the f*ckery which that involved.

Euron Greyjoy had nothing and all of a sudden had the best fleet in Westeros in the space of a few episodes? Theon and Yara stole all his ships! I could go on for days about the character and writing inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Bit late to the party but started into Season 1 again yesterday... prob gonna cram in 2-3 episodes per night... might fast forward through some of 'em.

I keep getting distracted with episodes of Love Death + Robots though ;)

At least I can watch all the intervening episodes while waiting for episodes 2 and 3 of Season 8

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

chris_ie wrote: »
    Just starting to watch it now (first time). People had my head wrecked so thought I'd give it a go! ha. Might take a while though, only 2 episodes in! Just 65 to go....

Stick it out it gets gruesome but the character development as things go on is so rewarding. The shocks are mind blowing too, it's one hell of a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Finished season six.

Much, much, MUCH better than season five, but not as good as the earlier seasons.

That said, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter are stunning TV. Miguel Sapochnik is an unbelievable director, especially when you consider parts of both episodes are absolutely ridiculous yet he still manages to make them work superbly. In fact both are full of the sort of poor writing and silly plot contrivances as season seven yet he still worked around that to make them both amazing!

And I agree with the poster above that the cut to Jon from the Tower of Joy scene is arguably the best in the entire show. The music and cinematography are goosebump inducing.

Not even bothered to watch season seven but I guess I will. maybe I'll skip Beyond the Wall, that episode was just the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Mokuba wrote: »

It was extremely poor writing, just a few episodes previously - they couldn't take the castle in the Riverlands without Edmure betraying the Blackfish. The Blackfish told Jaime they could hold out for 2 years and while Highgarden didn't have a river around all of it, they still had a lot more resources available.

The writing in season 7 was an embarrassment. The Winterfell plot was the worst in the shows history, just barely followed by the quest beyond the wall and all the f*ckery which that involved.

Euron Greyjoy had nothing and all of a sudden had the best fleet in Westeros in the space of a few episodes? Theon and Yara stole all his ships! I could go on for days about the character and writing inconsistencies.

Just finished my run through ahead of S8. The plot holes and jumping around Westeros is hard to defend on a 2nd viewing. I think the first time around I was more forgiving as we were getting more of the story. This time around it was more jarring.

I'd nearly forgive them the plot holes if the dialogue in season 7 wasn't so terrible..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Trying this myself, on season five right now, the first half of that season was a drop in quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

I've just finished season 1 (had been rewatching earlier in the year but we only got 6 episodes in and my friend had to study, poor her). It's going to be a tight few days, but I'm off work with a viral infection so need something to keep me going. So so many things in season 1 have a completely different interpretation now! Loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah Season 1 is great, I'm 75% through. I saw it all those years ago but completely forgot how good it is.

A lot of the subtext makes more sense now, having seen all the other scenes.

For example I know who Stanis is (they mention him a lot in Season 1)... also "the seed is strong" makes more sense now.

I reckon I'll re-watch Season 1 and Season 7 just before starting Season 8 as I think those are probably the 2 most relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just onto season 7; after watching them all from the start over the last few months!

Noticed a few things that I had missed in the last couple of seasons that could be a factor in the big picture. But really love the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched the ludicrous Beyond the Wall last night. Great to see the dragons in action against the army of the dead but the suspension of disbelief required for Gendry's successful run to the wall and the travel time of Ravens is really stretching things to breaking point. The interactions between Sansa and Arya are a bit painful too.

One episode left in the re-watch before Season 8 starts on Monday :D

It's like they discovered teleportation lol. There is a map in this link which shows how many journeys Jon made after leaving Hardhome, compared to the progress made by the Knight King.

Jon vs the Knight King

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sawduck wrote: »
    Trying this myself, on season five right now, the first half of that season was a drop in quality

The show suffered terribly when Lord Tywin left imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Cina wrote: »
    Finished season six.

Much, much, MUCH better than season five, but not as good as the earlier seasons.

That said, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter are stunning TV. Miguel Sapochnik is an unbelievable director, especially when you consider parts of both episodes are absolutely ridiculous yet he still manages to make them work superbly. In fact both are full of the sort of poor writing and silly plot contrivances as season seven yet he still worked around that to make them both amazing!

And I agree with the poster above that the cut to Jon from the Tower of Joy scene is arguably the best in the entire show. The music and cinematography are goosebump inducing.

Not even bothered to watch season seven but I guess I will. maybe I'll skip Beyond the Wall, that episode was just the worst.

Rewatching 6 now, it's a lot better than I thought, obviously being carried by Ramsey and the battle of the bastards.

Likewise will watch 7, agree, a big drop, particularly the one beyond the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

golfball37 wrote: »
    The show suffered terribly when Lord Tywin left imo.

He was a class character,Charles Dance is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just finished watching them all myself. Really went off a cliff in season 5 and never recovered. So much time in S5&6 dedicated to irrelevant and boring story lines, along with some of the most cringe-inducing lines.

That being said, it's still an amazing show full of brilliant characters and great main plot. I can't wait for season 8 to see how it all ends up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

...along with some of the most cringe-inducing lines.

Given your username I would have thought you would have liked the "the baad pooosy" line? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sawduck wrote: »
    He was a class character,Charles Dance is awesome

His introduction scene, particularly because he's butchering the Stark sigil, was fantastic

Advertisement