Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Operation Transformation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This is not "simple"... 18 ingredients and easily an hour to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I see his point (just wanting more simple food) but he just comes across as being petulant not wanting to have to meal prep and use the microwave.

If he has all the answers about what he likes to cook and how it so simple then why is he on the program? Just take the advice during the program and learn how to cook your own nice nutritious food in 5 minutes for the rest of your life...

I see his point (just wanting more simple food) but he just comes across as being petulant not wanting to have to meal prep and use the microwave.

If he has all the answers about what he likes to cook and how it so simple then why is he on the program? Just take the advice during the program and learn how to cook your own nice nutritious food in 5 minutes for the rest of your life...

Ah the lad is a pain in the hole, reminds me of the ignorant fella from Edenderry a few years ago. But.. he has a point, the food plan in the past few years is getting ridiculous. You would spend hours every week prepping and cooking food... people don't have time for it (this year more than ever)

mloc123 wrote: »
    Ah the lad is a pain in the hole, reminds me of the ignorant fella from Edenderry a few years ago. But.. he has a point, the food plan in the past few years is getting ridiculous. You would spend hours every week prepping and cooking food... people don't have time for it (this year more than ever)

he just needs to realise the program isn't all about him, he's meant to be a role model for other people on the road every day who are in a rut of eating from petrol stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Healthy cooking requires some prep, it is what it is... Sure it's easier to eat oven meals or deli food but that path hasn't been working well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

strandroad wrote: »
    Healthy cooking requires some prep, it is what it is... Sure it's easier to eat oven meals or deli food but that path hasn't been working well for him.

I don't watch the food part so apologies if I'm off point.

But if he's moaning about prep taking too long too much effort etc he'll never stick to it. As soon as the season is over he'll be back to old habits.

Surely there's some freezer friendly healthy meals.

Ones you can batch cook on a Saturday /Sunday (or just make double portions etc) and bung in the freezer, then you just need to defrost it add a salad or baked potato or something handy when you come in from work.

From what I've seen all the meals seem to be prepared from start to finish at each meal time.....that only really works long term if you've an interest in cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just watched episode 4. A part of me has very little time for this fella Paul while another huge part wants him to desperately succeed. The first week I saw him I knew he'd be resistant to the changes that he would have to do for himself. He gives the impression he’s on the show as a dare and he’ll turn up for the craic and give it a go. Karl was right when he said he'd burn out at week 3. He's probably worked with hundreds if not thousands of clients over the years, same goes for the rest of the experts, especially Aoife who as a dietician is there to prepare their meals.

I don't think that Paul realises that he's a leader for himself and for other men in his age category. He must have had this explained to him before the show began. All of the leaders represent a demographic of the population. I’m delighted his breathing is improving and he’s getting better sleep, he’s already starting to see the benefits. I hope he sticks with the program to the letter as the long term benefits to his health and wellbeing will be fantastic for him.

I don't watch the food part so apologies if I'm off point.

But if he's moaning about prep taking too long too much effort etc he'll never stick to it. As soon as the season is over he'll be back to old habits.

Surely there's some freezer friendly healthy meals.

Ones you can batch cook on a Saturday /Sunday (or just make double portions etc) and bung in the freezer, then you just need to defrost it add a salad or baked potato or something handy when you come in from work.

From what I've seen all the meals seem to be prepared from start to finish at each meal time.....that only really works long term if you've an interest in cooking.

this guy doesn't like the concept of batch cooking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    He really seems to be pushing back against the food and doesn't seem to like change in that regard. Ignoring Aoife's advise about his sugar intake, complaining about having to cook and for some reason taken aback at having to heat things up in the microwave. Did his wife always have a freshly cooked dinner on the table for him every evening?
    But I did look at his meal plan for the week - 2 days of chicken noodles, something black bean, another bean dish, a pork thing I can't pronounce, mackeral, beef stew, tofu butternut squash curry. It's all very different for someone who's probably used to meat and two veg type dinners. My husband is the same age and he would only look at the beef stew from that list, maybe the pork but with some potato.

Yeah I agree they should simplify the food especially since there are a lot of people following.
    By all means have interesting meals but you could also have traditional lean meat, potatoes and veg meal which would be perfectly healthy. Note the portion sizes though.
    Why not include some meals with frozen vegetables as well, if they want to encourage large swathes of the population to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Paul made a very good point last week.

They were preparing some dinner + it took about 40 mins to prepare + another 40 minutes to cook in oven.

He said who is going to go to all that bother on week night. He is 100% right.

OK at moment more of us at home then normally would be but I certainty wouldn't be spending 2 hours waiting for my dinner when I'm home from a long commute.

Its a joke, no one will stick to plan long term + thats always been my biggest problem with this show.

Its all pain, pain, pain + yes lose weight but no enjoyment in eating, no alcohol, no treats whatsoever its not sustainable.

• Advertisement

But his own dinner which he likes... salmon, sliced potato and asparagus in the oven takes about 20 mins. I am not talking about oven chips and a frozen chicken kiev... there are plenty of simple to prep and cook meals which are nutritional and low in calories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Saw a former leader recently. They had put all the weight they lost on the show back on and probably another 4-5 stone on top of it. Was sad to see as I was really rooting for them at the time and followed their plan. You forget that these leaders are real people with real issues that a show like operation transformation might only help temporarily. I hope they can get back on track with it some day for their own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Cazale wrote: »
    Saw a former leader recently. They had put all the weight they lost on the show back on and probably another 4-5 stone on top of it. Was sad to see as I was really rooting for them at the time and followed their plan. You forget that these leaders are real people with real issues that a show like operation transformation might only help temporarily. I hope they can get back on track with it some day for their own sake.

That's such a pity. It's very common with all weight loss plans. It's a change you need to make for life not just for a few weeks or months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Looks very simple! Literally just chopping a few things and adding a few things together. The first time you do it it might take longer but when you've done it once, it would be fine.

That would take me 20 minutes.

However, if I was complaining and had the attitude of your man, it would take me a lot longer as I wouldn't be invested in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Each year there is someone on the show who you'd consider to be the joker in the pack. Now joker isn't necessarily someone funny, it could also mean as in this case that person who pushes back against the advice or blatantly ignores it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

He's made a dinner there on camera, chicken (or was it salmon), asparagus and potato. Three ingredients, was it roasted or grilled? Not much work either way.
    It's just not the heavy fried food he likes (and takes one minute to buy in the deli or throw in the oven).

That's poor form on your part.

The meal you seen him cook was his own. He said it's one of his favourite meals, he loves it and when he travels, where he goes/stays often does not have good cooking facilities but they. always have an oven.

He can prep that meal in 5 mins, cook it in 5 mins and eat it (in 5 mins apparently).

It's healthy, it's nutritious, it's simple to make and most importantly, he LOVES it. There is a far higher likelihood of him sticking to that type of eating than those meals they are putting out there.

They should be commending him and telling him to eat that every day if he wants (providing portions are weighed). Trying to make him eat vegan or eat a different meal for no reason whatsoever is absurd.

Naos wrote: »

The meal you seen him cook was his own. He said it's one of his favourite meals, he loves it and when he travels, where he goes/stays often does not have good cooking facilities but they. always have an oven.

He can prep that meal in 5 mins, cook it in 5 mins and eat it (in 5 mins apparently).

It's healthy, it's nutritious, it's simple to make and most importantly, he LOVES it. There is a far higher likelihood of him sticking to that type of eating than those meals they are putting out there.

They should be commending him and telling him to eat that every day if he wants (providing portions are weighed). Trying to make him eat vegan or eat a different meal for no reason whatsoever is absurd.

They also suggested batch cooking at the weekend. It's the norm in many busy houses to prepare meals in advance at the weekend. He is just full of excuses.

My guess there will be a slot this week or next with Aoife turning up to whatever accommodation he is in showing him how to rustle up something along the lines of the food plan in a few minutes that can be over cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Looks very simple! Literally just chopping a few things and adding a few things together. The first time you do it it might take longer but when you've done it once, it would be fine.

However, if I was complaining and had the attitude of your man, it would take me a lot longer as I wouldn't be invested in the process.

You're missing the point. He is working all day and so eats ****e. Chap comes in tired, think he's going to stand there and prep everything for the 20 mins you state or do you think it's easier for him to stick something healthy (Salmon, asparagus & a single sliced potato) in the oven that he can prep quickly and then sit down for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You're missing the point. He is working all day and so eats ****e. Chap comes in tired, think he's going to stand there and prep everything for the 20 mins you state or do you think it's easier for him to stick something healthy (Salmon, asparagus & a single sliced potato) in the oven that he can prep quickly and then sit down for a few minutes.

You have to feel sorry for him.

The only person in the country that works all day and has to cook dinner when he gets home.

He can't live on his favourite dish 7 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if it takes me more than 20 mins on a week night i aint doing it.
    honestly its the nutritionists job to come up with a workable plan for this guy - i was really surprised at their attitude - i dont know but he may come in at 8 9 o clock at night and be out at 6am.
    you cant blame him for wanting stuff that works for him otherwise the shows absolutely pointless.

he certainly isn't a great character but i thought they would take into account his lifestyle like that.

but maybe they will do the usual criticize then sort it out instead of doing it right in the first place. make it more of a story arc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

But if his meals are so great and easy why is he xxx stone overweight and pre-diabetic with sleep apnea? That's the point - he's used to fast (cooked or bought) food, and he gobbles it. They are trying to make him slow down with both, and reduce his intake at the same time because at the end of the day he is there to lose weight. Was his roast meal the same calorie value as the chopped meal, was it mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Yes, he loves it so much except he won't heat it in a microwave. :rolleyes:

Yes I expect an adult who wants so much to change their lifestyle prep and cook some food for 20-30mins. He could even make double or triple the amount for the next 2 days, but he refuses to use a microwave.

His problem is he's pushing back too much and not trying to come up with any workable solutions himself. He's acting like a child.

His problem is he's pushing back too much and not trying to come up with any workable solutions himself. He's acting like a child.

This is it in a nutshell. He needs to ask himself again why he put himself forward and agreed to go on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree with him - recipes on OT could be made simpler. I think he does represent alot of Irish men who dont like modern meals. From what I can see he likes plain old fashioned food - and there is nothing wrong with that if it is cooked correctly. He seems to be a meat, potatoes and veg guy - this is healthy if cooked in a healthy way and portion size is controlled. For the plan to be sustainable for the long term Aoife should be giving easy to prepare family friendly meals. Most of the meals on OT my kids wouldnt eat however they absolutely devour a stew with lean meat and plenty of veg. The OT plan needs to be compatible with busy lives.

This is the same guy who was refusing to cut sugar out of his tea and sprinkled on the breakfast and now he's being revised to sound like he's standing up for people with busy lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I wonder do the producers take into account the food likes and dislikes of the participants? I had a look at the food plan for a few days and there's stuff there I wouldn't eat - fish, tofu, mushrooms.

The food plan for Paul looks like a huge jump from what he's used to or likes eating. For example he's said he likes salmon - well put salmon on his meal plan once a week and have a different recipe each week.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I wonder do the producers take into account the food likes and dislikes of the participants? I had a look at the food plan for a few days and there's stuff there I wouldn't eat - fish, tofu, mushrooms.

The food plan for Paul looks like a huge jump from what he's used to or likes eating. For example he's said he likes salmon - well put salmon on his meal plan once a week and have a different recipe each week.

The guy has serious issues coming down the line due to his food and lifestyle. HE needs to change for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

The guy has serious issues coming down the line due to his food and lifestyle. HE needs to change for himself.

He knows he has to change and is changing. He doesnt need to be eating tofu and noodles to change though. Healthy food can be traditional food that he actually likes to eat. Thats the point he was trying to make. The plan needs to be sustainable for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Look up the recipes, they are simple. He seems to be used to oven ready meals, deli hot food and heavier food in general so the transition must be hard. Learning a new way of eating completely.
    They already are pretty simple. The issue is that he is just a lazy sod. Not sure why he is on the programme as he has a smart answer every week over something. Al3ays knows brpetter than the people who are there to help and guide.

Ah they're not that simple. We've been making the meals for the past couple of weeks now & it does take quite a bit of time. They are nice, don't get me wrong, but they do take a bit of time to cook & get together. Now obviously making something the first time does take a bit longer but still.
    joe40 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree they should simplify the food especially since there are a lot of people following.
    By all means have interesting meals but you could also have traditional lean meat, potatoes and veg meal which would be perfectly healthy. Note the portion sizes though.
    Why not include some meals with frozen vegetables as well, if they want to encourage large swathes of the population to follow.

I really think they need to look at that. And also meals that could be batch cooked. We prefer to do that as with both of us working and a young child, it's not the easiest to get a lot of a time in the evening to cook from scratch every night. It would be nice for them to recognise that a bit and include batch cooking recipes so that people could reheat (unlike Paul, I have nothing against microwaves!).

Having made at least 12 of the meals, the prep on most of them was in the region of 30-40mins. I think some of the problem lies with it being a different dinner every night with no repeats so yes you would get quicker at making something the more you make it (apart from cooking time) but if you're learning a new recipe every night, it's never going to get quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

When will we be able to have a meal pill?? I’m sick of having to go to the supermarket, cook and wash up after.

Advertisement