Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    Yeah, it was fairly far down the list. If you search Tohsoft, it should be 19th app down that list, or search Applock Pro and find other apps by that developer.

Guys took a run at this tonight again, but it doesn't show up on the shields play store, and trying to push it doesn't work either as it says the shields not compatible with it.

What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Trying to use a Plantronics Focus Bluetooth headset so that I can listen a little loudly at night but they won’t pair.. I get Device not supported when I try to pair .. don’t see a solution anywhere
    Anyone have a similar issue ?
    Great piece of kit btw .. using iptv, Netflix YouTube Plex, terrarium tv and a games console all in one small device .. overloaded with content 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Loving this little box.
    Only a few issues so far in one app I normally use not working, might have to use a paid service.
    Also the controllers don't seem to work yet with RetroX or the other app I'm using. Will try the settings again tonight.
    Love it though, very easy to use and set up

Taltos wrote: »
    Loving this little box.
    Only a few issues so far in one app I normally use not working, might have to use a paid service.
    Also the controllers don't seem to work yet with RetroX or the other app I'm using. Will try the settings again tonight.
    Love it though, very easy to use and set up

You shouldn't have had any issues whatsoever with the controller and RetroX (I didn't anyway) it should work seemlesly out of the box.

Here's a question though for someone who uses Netflix a lot.

On my shield - Netflix subtitles seem to be coming on by default for each and every show I watch.

No matter how many times I go back and turn them off, they're back on again by the next episode/movie.

Any one any idea how to get them off and to stay off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I notice The Grand Tour, 4k hdr, stutters on the Shield but doesn't on the TV Amazon Prime app.

I also get periods of unresponsiveness from the remote now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

doylefe wrote: »
    I notice The Grand Tour, 4k hdr, stutters on the Shield but doesn't on the TV Amazon Prime app.

I also get periods of unresponsiveness from the remote now and again.

Have the same problem only happens on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

4K HDR Grand Tour plays fine on my Shield. I’d say its something else and not the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

You shouldn't have had any issues whatsoever with the controller and RetroX (I didn't anyway) it should work seemlesly out of the box.

Here's a question though for someone who uses Netflix a lot.

On my shield - Netflix subtitles seem to be coming on by default for each and every show I watch.

No matter how many times I go back and turn them off, they're back on again by the next episode/movie.

Any one any idea how to get them off and to stay off?

I believe some Netflix settings can only be changed by logging into your account through the web page. Things like auto play etc... so auto subtitles might be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is anyone having issues with the Vu+/Enigma 2 plugin on Kodi?
    I have 3 shields all on Kodi 17.6 and the plug in has stopped working on 2 of them.
    Have tried fresh install, restoring a backup from the known good box all with no success.
    I can work around it by sharing my tuner list as an m3u but if anyone knows why/what could be causing the issue give a shout!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The keyboard in mine is down as Android Russian/Czech keyboard, I don't have any option to change it to Englist as the only other options I have are Indic, Zhuyin, Japanese, Korean and Pinyin. My language is down as English (UK), any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Had the same issue.
    At the time I used my sync’d phone to type, but someone above suggested changing the language back to the default English(US), I changed it to UK or Ireland, haven’t checked to see if it fixed it but...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Taltos wrote: »
    Had the same issue.
    At the time I used my sync’d phone to type, but someone above suggested changing the language back to the default English(US), I changed it to UK or Ireland, haven’t checked to see if it fixed it but...

I use the tablet today but the young one was on my tablet which is the only 1 I've hooked up (first world problems I know), I changed the language to English (US) there and it seems to have added a "Leanback" keyboard which is QWERTY so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Just got an update notification there

banie01 wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues with the Vu+/Enigma 2 plugin on Kodi?
    I have 3 shields all on Kodi 17.6 and the plug in has stopped working on 2 of them.
    Have tried fresh install, restoring a backup from the known good box all with no success.
    I can work around it by sharing my tuner list as an m3u but if anyone knows why/what could be causing the issue give a shout!

Just in case anyonr encounters the same issue.
    Solved this by manually copying known good userdata folder to all other sevices.
    Backup wouldn't restore for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone know if there's any shops in Dublin selling these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone know how to solve this?
    When I press the home button on my remote it goes to multitasking mode. I'm definitely only pressing it once.

This only started happening in last few days.
    I've done all updates.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any shops in Dublin selling these?

Curry's used to sell them but were a lot more expensive than Amazon. Amazon is your best bet,quick delivery and excellent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

iggy wrote: »
    When I press the home button on my remote it goes to multitasking mode. I'm definitely only pressing it once.

I've done all updates.
    Thanks

Maybe try reset and re-pair it.See the following :

1.Reset remote by holding back button and home button together for about 15 seconds. 2. Go to Settings-->Apps-->System apps-->Bluetooth Share app Force stop,Clear cache and data and restart Shield TV. 3. Re-pair

See if that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Whatever colourspace I set in HDMI settings I seem to be getting banding. Very obvious on the Kodi homescreen where you can see distinct bands.

Also the power supply for the Shield is making noise. High pitched whine.

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »
    Whatever colourspace I set in HDMI settings I seem to be getting banding. Very obvious on the Kodi homescreen where you can see distinct bands.

Also the power supply for the Shield is making noise. High pitched whine.

Neither of those 2 problems sound right to me, thankfully Nvidia will most likely be able to help - I would definitely be getting on to them if I were you.

Does the 1st Gen Amazon Fire remote still pair with the Shield?
    Or does anyone know where i can pick up a reasonably priced 2nd hand Shield remote?

banie01 wrote: »
    Does the 1st Gen Amazon Fire remote still pair with the Shield?
    Or does anyone know where i can pick up a reasonably priced 2nd hand Shield remote?

Some on adverts

Edit. Scratch that seems to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

yabadabado wrote: »
    Curry's used to sell them but were a lot more expensive than Amazon. Amazon is your best bet,quick delivery and excellent customer service.
    Perfect thanks. Cheapest I've seen is on the Italian amazon site - €193

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Perfect thanks. Cheapest I've seen is on the Italian amazon site - €193

The Pro version (500GB) is on Amazon France for €255 with Joypad and Remote.
    https://www.amazon.fr/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Media-Streaming-Player/dp/B01N9GUKTE

Delivered to Ireland it comes to €271 (Irish Tax added)

Delivered to PW/AP/PM it comes to €261.91 + roughly €4 delivered to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nedd

iggy wrote: »

I've done all updates.
    Thanks

I had an issue the other day where the Voice button turned into select button. Reboot of the shield sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Guys and Gals,

Can anyone confirm what the best decoder type to use in Perfect Player on the Shield?

The options are:-

Auto: Aims to find the most suitable decoder for a given stream/file.
    Native: Uses decoding abilities implemented in device firmware.
    Hardware: Software implementation with hardware video decoding on supported devices.
    Software: Completely software implementation.
    HW+: Supports only hardware accelerated decoding. Has teletext subtitles support.

I'm inclined to think "Hardware" is the best option given the power of the device but what do I know????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It differs depending on service, but i use HW+ and it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Recently bought STB Emu Pro just to try it out and it works fine but one issue is driving me mad is that whenever I launch the app it sets the Shield sound down to 50% I have to manually turn it up to 100%, is this a short coming of the app or does anyone have a work around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Recently bought STB Emu Pro just to try it out and it works fine but one issue is driving me mad is that whenever I launch the app it sets the Shield sound down to 50% I have to manually turn it up to 100%, is this a short coming of the app or does anyone have a work around?

Same here. Couldn't find a fix so using perfect player until hopefully I find a solution.

Advertisement