Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A word for an escape attempt

Options
  • 06-06-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi!

What's a word for an escape attempt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've been racking my brain since I saw your post, and haven't been able to come up with a single word.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Decamp or Abscond.

Decamp or Abscond.

Escape attempt seems to me to be ambiguous about the success. Decamp and abscond don't have that ambiguity, to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Evade, according to Wiktionary.
    Also, I'm wondering about abscond.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Sorry but what's wrong with "escape attempt"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Flee?

jimd2 wrote: »
    Sorry but what's wrong with "escape attempt"?

Nothing at all, but OP asked for one word. No idea why OP asked for one word, maybe composing a poem or something. Anyway, you're obviously Irish, answering a question with another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

feargale wrote: »
    Nothing at all, but OP asked for one word. No idea why OP asked for one word, maybe composing a poem or something. Anyway, you're obviously Irish, answering a question with another one.

best trick in the book

any way one word for escpe attempt "redemption-song"

I get it. Sometimes you are sure that there must be one word for a particular concept. It's just that you can't quite think of it. Sometimes you're right when you think this -- and sometimes you're wrong. I'm not sure in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

Eeden wrote: »
    I get it. Sometimes you are sure that there must be one word for a particular concept. It's just that you can't quite think of it. Sometimes you're right when you think this -- and sometimes you're wrong. I'm not sure in this case.

ya what would you be escaping from:confused:

in german it would be fluchtversuch (flucktfersuke)

• Advertisement

Nice one! In German, you can smash together lots of words into one, making entire concepts into one word. Kinda cool.

Eeden wrote: »
    Nice one! In German, you can smash together lots of words into one, making entire concepts into one word. Kinda cool.

Same in Turkish, I think, and lots of other languages, maybe Inuit too. Is that what they call agglutination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

There's one word like skipped town but I can't think of it right now.

How about skedaddled?

Fled?

Baled think that was what I was trying to think of. Far too lazy to look up spelling. Baled or bailed? He baled (out) on them.

I think that the word wanted by the OP is more about the attempt than the escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

botch! :D:) Covers anything attempted that didn't go according to plan! Am impressed with me grey matter at 10 to 4 in the am! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Best bet might be to try and find it through latin.. I also have a feeling theres a word with the prefix 'sub' but I can't put my finger on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I had a feeling there would be a word for it in a foreign language actually!
    I want to be able to say escape attempt in a few different ways rather than saying escape attempt every time. An escape attemt is an exciting/adventurous thing and escape attemt doesnt convey that well enough.
    I thought there might be a Latin, or French word. Drapetomania is the overwhelming urge to run away so I thought there might be one beginning with 'D'.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

"make a break for it" would be less definite? And "attempted getaway" has more of a criminal vibe if that's what you had in mind.

Advertisement