Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leek

signed on last tuesday in Dun L for JSB, was told id be waiting 4-5 weeks , today surprisinly i got called by the office to say my claim had been successful and i can collect next wens, and ur man said he was looking at my id and that im the ringer of bob dylan :confused::confused: nice end to the conversation.. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Seen and submitted application yesterday, told about 4 weeks wait for JSB (which I assume means I qualify automatically?) We shall see, let the waiting commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

JSA - 9/10 weeks since applying and havn't heard anything yet.
    Location - Blanchardstown

Guessing it could be a few more weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nukinfuts

applied 20th May to the Galway office - still nothing. Friend of mine was in there today that applied at the same time - she was told the application hadn't been touched and she may not receive a payment until the new year!

i want to cry.

benefit - we were dealt with as a group of 60 (due to redundancy) so SW came to our workplace - but not one of our applications have been touched yet (supposedly) I'll know more tomorrow when I go in to find out for myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Went in on a Wed and given forms to fill out for JSA,told to come back on Friday with forms filled out.

Gave them to lady on Friday and she asked me a few questions, told me instead of sending an assessor out to me if I came back in the following Friday with bank statements I would be assessed there and then.

Went in the following Friday and spoke with the guy in there and he copied my bank statements and said that was all.

The following Tues I got letter telling me to go collect it that Thurs and every Tues thereafter.

just back from SW office in Galway (ref JSB) - waiting about 10 weeks now, told they can't give me a time frame, they're only dealing with March claims now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Oh my God some of the waiting times are horrendous, I am still waiting and at this rate it could be months. I think it is either 14 or 15 weeks I am waiting, I haven't even had a visit from the officer so it could be another month or two or three, but if I am waiting any longer than a month for someone to visit I am contacting a local TD or something. It is extremely unfair for people to wait so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Waiting since 13 Jan 09 in Limerick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Ok, I first signed on 13 Jan 09, on that day I was told everything looked fine, I had enough tax credits the lot, recieved a letter from SW (Social Welfare) to go to decisions about 2 months later.
    I was then told I did not have enough tax credits and was told to go to the tax office to get a print of of all the tax I pay and return it to SW. I did that and they said they would be in touch.
    Money was getting low so I went the CWO and recieved supplementary payments.

A few weeks later I recieved a letter from my CWO stating that the payments had to stop because I missed a date. Went to SW to suss things out and the lady said I missed a date. I told her that I came here every time I was asked and proceeded to ask her to either bring me a letter that SW sent to me or the person telling me to be there by a certain date. She shrugged me off saying your claim is closed and there is nothing I can do about it, go start a new one.

Opened a new claim in April that same day after the first one being closed and this time round I was told that I did not have enough tax credits from 2007 and I would be means tested.
    On May 5th went for the interview in SW offices, after the interview I had to fill out X/O for casual employment back to the date I was let go back in December and another form (I think a up15) showing my earnings for the past 13 weeks.

The day after this I had to go to hospital for a few days. I rang up SW about getting my casual dockets and that I would have difficulty in getting them to them by the 14 days outline by the officer as I just had an operation and was not very mobile but still the sent out letters saying if I did not hand in the required documents my claim would be cancelled again even though I rang them telling them I had an operation and I would not be able to get these forms done for them in time.

After all this I went on Illness Benifit and was told by a senior deciding officer in SW that once I came off IB that everything would be sorted and that I would go straight onto JA, this was not the case. I was also told that because I didn't have enough credits I would have to claim my IB off my local health centre.

After I came off IB I went to my CWO who advised me that she couldn't pay me as my JA claim was closed on the day I went for my interview and that I had to open a new claim to recieve payments again. Anyway opened my third claim a few weeks ago so hopefully I will get something off them now soon with all my back pay.

Sorry for the big long rant but it just annoyed me that when you go to the SW to get your 204.30 a week why does it have to be such an ordeal, you would think at this stage that the people in social welfare know what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Social Welfare Office:
    Galway

Social Welfare Payment:
    Job seekers benefit

Application Date:

May 29th

Date of means test appointment:
    18th august

Weeks from Application to Payment:
    N/A, no payment recieved yet, told to wait until means test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I applied for for the dole (still not sure if its JSB or JSA) last friday 7th August in Drogheda and picked up my first payment today, 13th August.

Obviously very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

I am still waiting but I rang the office and asked to speak to the inspector who comes out to find out when I would be interviewed, I was told that my file had not been sent from one office to the inspectors office, hence why I heard nothing, it was not their fault and the woman I spoke with said she would put a rush on the inspector to come and visit me... but after the visit from the inspector, it could be another two months before I get a payment, like IT Loser it all depends on whether I qualify, it is pretty annoying, I will wait until I hear from the inspector and then speak to the office that is deciding on my claim. The only thing that keeps me going is the back pay, it will be considerable, but having no money sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Poros

Sadly, I think my husband beats all records.

Signed on - November 2008
    Office - Navan, Co. Meath
    Means test invitation letter - 23 June 2009
    Means test interview - 1st July 2009

Still nothing!

In March we got a rejection on the grounds of habitual residence. That was absolutely wrong and we insisted on reviewing the case providing more evidence and sending a copy of our letter to FLAC and Minister of Social Affairs.

In two weeks after that got a letter that residency is fine (no apology whatsoever). We thought finally the matter is resolved...but time went on.

We wrote to the Minister asking to intervene because the waiting time was getting ridiculous. Minister acknowledged the receipt of our letter but obviously did not do anything about it.

Only in the end of June we got letter about means test.

Been there, done that on the 1st of July. The Inspector said his report for the Deciding Officer will be ready in two weeks time. We waited for 4 weeks but the case was still with the means test Inspector.

This time we called the Minister's Office. They were very sympathetic and promised to resolve the issue asap. In a couple of days got phone call back from the Office that within a couple of weeks we should be receiving a cheque. Excited and relieved....How naive! Two weeks passed - no letter of any kind. Called the welfare office to check, but the answer was that the case is still with the means test Inspector. It was the greatest shock!

Fed up with this waiting game! Guessing what else they can throw at us to delay payments and who else to complain to if the Ministry does not care...:confused:

We are coming to September soon and almost a year of waiting...

Do not believe any of their promises!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im waiting 3+ months now, had the interview today and was told ill need to wait another 2 months until i receive anything.
    Despite how disgraceful the whole system is, I must say the people I have dealt with have been very pleasant. I was expecting large trolls behind the plated glass who make fun of your living situation and ask unnecessary personal questions at the end of which they tell you to piss of and hand out a large cheque to some guy who just entered the country that day. Although maybe the trolls are waiting for me at the next plate glass meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

tommy21 wrote: »
    What an ordeal! I'd say call into your local TD or something, that is ridiculous. I just had to get that UP15 form filled out too. You think my P45 and P60 would be enough. Personally I think they are being told to hold back the tide lest the Welfare Service goes bankrupt by paying too much off at once.

Well I must say I'm bowled over. Submitted all requested forms on the 6th of August. Was sent a letter on the 12th of August asking for a UP15 (timesheet from last 13 weeks work to be filled out). Dropped that in by hand on the 13th August. Received letter today 19th August approving my claim. Payment starts tomorrow. Cork office Hanover st!

edit: claim was for JSB, not JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

Reduced to 3 day working week,
    New Ross,
    Job seekers benefit so no means test,
    10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

signed on on the 8th of June for JSA in Maynooth.

Have heard absolutely nothing, not even about means tests or anything like that, I'm starting to get really freaked out that I've not handed in a form or something!!!

Luckily, I'm not in as bad a situation as some here, as I'm going back to college in September, but still, I have worked myself into a whole heap of debt trying to go back to college as well as various other things like rent and food money. I just need the money soon!

I've heard of a few people getting their JSA after a couple of weeks in Maynooth, I'm beginning to wonder if the waiting time is so long because my OH is claiming benefit (still waiting since Feb) and that because we're both claiming it's taking longer? Or maybe I should just start making a nuisance of myself in the SW office, they won't even answer the phone for queries :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Made a claim for JB on the 23rd July in newbridge and collected my first payment today. Was worried it would take forever, but less than 4 weeks im impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Signed on for JSA/B on 13th July.

Got call from Welfare Officer 3 weeks ago today.

Getting paid today :D.

• Advertisement

got mine today! at last, maybe going in last week did some good!
    so to sum up - Galway office, JSB, 11 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Got a letter today:). First payment on Tuesday with 9 and half weeks back pay.

Waited: 10/11 weeks
    Its JSA

Anyone have an idea how long it takes back pay to be received? It just says they will be issued shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

got a letter when we walked into our new apt on Saturday.

Picking up my first payment tomorrow and I've been backdated to 1 Dec. Happy Days :)

(Was waiting 21 weeks since I applied.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

I applied for a repeat claim for jobseekers allowance on 6th august in coolock and I pick up my first payment tomorrow 28th, less than three weeks wait but probably because it was a repeat claim(am relieved because when I applied last year I had to wait nearly four months) so happy the wait is over and wasn't too long:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

jsb
    was waiting 8 weeks
    Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I applied for a repeat claim in Kilbarrack this morning, girl said wait time could be 3-4 weeks. she also said because the kids are back to school, their work force had increased, and wait times has significantly reduced. Be very surprised if it was 3-4 weeks, but will update when i find out more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

JSB
    Dun Laoghaire

Applied last Thursday, got a call two days later to say my claim had been processed and my first payment can be collected this Thursday! :eek:

Amazingly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

JSA
    BRAY
    Applied May 4th
    Nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

JSB
    Dun Laoghaire

Applied last Thursday, got a call two days later to say my claim had been processed and my first payment can be collected this Thursday! :eek:

Amazingly fast.

Wow. My situation is probably different (recently moved over from the UK..), but I've been waiting since May 18th or so, with no word at all :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

applied end of July for Jobseekers benifit, got all my back pay today

Advertisement