Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi all and a happy new year to you :)

Are you still having issues with blank pages/speed today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hi all and a happy new year to you :)

Are you still having issues with blank pages/speed today?

For me it seemed to all be sorted out on the following day the 2nd and has been fine since.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Fine for me as well. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,006 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm finding it slow posting and with pms today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lads. The gllitch! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had to go full site on my phone to post on a thread in my LTI forum :mad: it happens silly frequently much like the where are you now thread in AH I'd love to know what causes this glitch, the cookies history etc are cleared weekly on me phone.

I don't know to be honest, it seems to happen on threads with a lof of gifs in them but that is not what would have happened with a new post Grem. What exactly was happening there, were you getting an error on touch when trying to post?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I don't know to be honest, it seems to happen on threads with a lof of gifs in them but that is not what would have happened with a new post Grem. What exactly was happening there, were you getting an error on touch when trying to post?

Nope it's the same as others have complained of, not possible to get to the newest posts, sometimes clicking on latest post might drop you three pages back, I'll screenshot next time I spot it, business or content of threads don't seem to be a factor, they are frequently visited by me that's the only common link I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nope it's the same as others have complained of, not possible to get to the newest posts, sometimes clicking on latest post might drop you three pages back, I'll screenshot next time I spot it, business or content of threads don't seem to be a factor, they are frequently visited by me that's the only common link I can see

Often the only way I can get to the newest posts (Netflix recommendation thread particularly bad) is by switching from touch site to the full site. This has been going on for months. We have the nice new icons in the top right of screen now though, so, swings and roundabouts.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was getting the glitch on the full site, on Monday: my list of unread threads was not updating.

Site (full site, desktop, chrome) sluggish and returning the odd blank page

• Registered Users Posts: 81,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Definitely feel a difference in site responsiveness today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

+1 on above posts today.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

New Home wrote: »
    Lads. The gllitch! :eek:
    And again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

New Home wrote: »
    And again.

Coronation Street thread is particularly bad, like usual.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Site (full site, desktop, chrome) sluggish and returning the odd blank page

dea45c84dd3f2aebf0b82187ed18c6cd.jpg

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is there more ads on mobile in the last week or so? Or is it that I'm just seeing them more now than previously?

Still slow for you today anyone? Will get one of the lads to have a look if it is.

Dulpit, there aren't any more ad units than usual on the site however we may have been displaying some blank ads/no ads on occasion which we are rectifying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Good morning Niamh.

No issues this morning. It was only a bit slow when I tried to post but just by a few seconds. Nothing major like the occasional blank page last night :)

• Advertisement

Looks like the ability to upload attachments has stopped working, I get the following message

500 Internal Server Error

nginx

Thanks dolanbaker, someone has just reported this elsewhere as well, have flagged it with the team to take a look. Thanks!

Attachments are working again now guys. Thanks for your patience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Dear Boards. I would gladly tell you what is a bus or a bike or a train or a bus.
    But if the pics are 2x3mm big on my shagging phone, I can only guess.
    If I was a bot, it would be easier.
    And do I REALLY have to complete this stupid captcha every three bloody clicks?
    It's getting annoying.
    Thankfully, when I click back and another link, the captcha mostly goes away.

So, top tip:
    Annoying captcha?
    Click back and try again. Mostly works.
    Because it popped up again as I clicked "Edit" on my post.
    Grrrrrr
    I'm willing to bet there's HTML code there that's 20-30 years old

The captchas are from Cloudflare rather than direct from Boards. Occasionally depending on traffic Cloudflare will increase security for accessing the site from various areas. It usually cools off again after the danger/issue has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The captchas are from Cloudflare rather than direct from Boards. Occasionally depending on traffic Cloudflare will increase security for accessing the site from various areas. It usually cools off again after the danger/issue has passed.

Today is better. Yesterday was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

541983.png

I keep getting this pop up. I accept all cookies and Lo and behold I’ll open boards and the popup comes up again.

Be great if it would stop reverting to the touch site too..

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Slideways,

My first impression is that a cookie isn't being set correctly. Could you clear any Boards related cookies and load the site again - it will prompt you to accept cookies and direct you to the touch site, but you should be able to navigate to full site if that's your preference, accept the cookie notice there, and hopefully browse normally then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What's with the amount of ear wax ads popping up litterally every other page large ear wax cleaning ads pop up , mainly using touch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement