Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Jane Adventures Series 5.

• 21-09-2011 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭

Press launch has been done, trailers are out there but region locked so Ill leave you lot to search them out. it's set to air Monday 3rd of October (Monday after Doctor Who finale) at 5:15 on the CBBC channel.
    If you've never seen this show before it's well worth checking out, for Doctor Who fans of ALL ages, not just for kids. There's some high quality stuff here that would hold it's own against the best stuff that Doctor Who can offer. Whatever Happened To Sarah Jane being one of the prime examples from Series 1.
    So sad that this isnt a full series but lets cherish what we got.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How many episodes will air?

This show always seemed very unappreciated. I've found it more consistent than RTDs era and truer to the original. I mean it was this show that gave us the Brigadier one last time as well as Jo Grant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's weird, I am not sure if I want to watch this.

I only really got into the SJA about 6 months before Sladen passed away and I agree that it can be easily as good as the best Who, and I would love some more, it just feels... weird knowing I'll be watching someone who knows they're dying. Maybe that's just me, I mean, she could easily have said sod it if she didn't want these as her testimony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In answer to above there are three stories maintaining the tried and trusted 2 episode per story method. So six episodes in all. I'm not sure if they are maintaining the 2 episode a week format or stretching it out over the 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Never watched this or Torchwood. I suppose I should expand my Doctor Who universe. Were these fully filmed before she died?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also never watched this - I neither gave it a chance, nor had the care to really. It just seemed way to CBBC, by way of the Slitheen episodes from series 1, for my tastes. Besides, plucky gangs of mystery-solving kids just annoy the fook out of me tbh. I was going to watch the Matt Smith episode from last year but when I saw the ludicrous space vultures, I decided to pass :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also never watched this - I neither gave it a chance, nor had the care to really. It just seemed way to CBBC, by way of the Slitheen episodes from series 1, for my tastes. Besides, plucky gangs of mystery-solving kids just annoy the fook out of me tbh. I was going to watch the Matt Smith episode from last year but when I saw the ludicrous space vultures, I decided to pass :)

To be fair, it's pretty good, but you do have to give the odd thing a pass for kiddishness, although bizarrely I find less than RTD era Dr Who.

There's an episode very like father's day where Sarah Jane goes back and meets her parents, tis good stuff. Not a must buy but definitely a painless way to while away an afternoon in whimsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Were these fully filmed before she died?
    Yes, completely. Filming for Series 5 was broken into two blocks, and Lis passed away during the break between them. IIRC the stories they filmed were the first two and the finale.

Sky was quite a good start to the series. There does seem to be a bit of a baby theme running through the Whoniverse this year, Good Man Goes To War, Closing Time, (Cyber-men and a Baby) and now Sky (Iron-men and a Little Lady)

Tell me I'm not the only one watching and loving this. The Curse of Clyde Langer, Wow, just....wow.

and the story goes on.....forever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Never watched this or Torchwood. I suppose I should expand my Doctor Who universe. Were these fully filmed before she died?

Watched SJ advetures last year and it was quality stuff.
    I know Torchwood came from Dr Who but it has a very different feel to it. Watched the series alright but wouldn't watch a rerun. It is more like the HBO series like Lost or Heroes are something like that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good amusing final episode - Gareth Roberts probably churning out the funniest scripts in the Who-neverse. Nice to see a send off to Luke as well.
    The tacked-on ending about the story going on "forever" was a nice addition. Seemed right to use the same words that Sarah Jane uttered in Season 1.

Must mention though "The Curse of Clyde Langer" as being, not only the season stand out but one of the finest moments of the show and better than many episodes of the parent show. Brilliant stuff and very dark for a kid's show.

I'm going to miss this series - vastly under appreciated as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Watched SJ advetures last year and it was quality stuff.
    I know Torchwood came from Dr Who but it has a very different feel to it. Watched the series alright but wouldn't watch a rerun. It is more like the HBO series like Lost or Heroes are something like that

The latest series of Torchwood was very Americanised alright (but not a patch on Lost, or dare I say it, even Heroes!), but the early seasons have a more unique feel to them.

I'll admit I've never really watched SJA, save for the episodes were the Doctor crossed over. Maybe someday I'll give it a go, can't be any worse than Torchwood: Miracle Day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cyndaquil wrote: »
    The latest series of Torchwood was very Americanised alright (but not a patch on Lost, or dare I say it, even Heroes!), but the early seasons have a more unique feel to them.

I'll admit I've never really watched SJA, save for the episodes were the Doctor crossed over. Maybe someday I'll give it a go, can't be any worse than Torchwood: Miracle Day.

Ehhhh ok I just googled and realised that Miracle day was the 4th series of Torchwood. I thought it was the first one as I had never heard of it before. Will reserve judgement so until I watch the first 3 series.

Only for the fact that the quality of SF on TV has gotten so bad Torchwood wouldn't have gotten a look in. The Doctor is literally the only SF I get to watch these days :( so SJ provides a welcome distraction.

Forgive me for dragging out a very old thread, but I really think this doesn't belong anywhere else.

Advertisement