Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Seniors Championship 2021

• 04-05-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/56966164

All matches in the last 16 and Best of 5.

Thursday 6th May at 12noon
    Match 1 – Lee Walker v Darren Morgan
    Match 2 – David Lilley v Philip Williams

Thursday 6th May at 7pm
    Match 3 – Stephen Hendry v Patsy Fagan
    Match 4 – Mick Judge v Patrick Wallace

Friday 7th May at 12 noon
    Match 5 – Ken Doherty v Joe Johnson
    Match 6 – Dennis Taylor v Barry Pinches

Friday 7th May at 7pm
    Match 7 – Jimmy White v Tony Knowles
    Match 8 – Igor Figueiredo v John Parrott

--
    --

Ken has unfinished business, as he threw it away last year against Jimmy.

--
    --

Coverage: Watch live on BBC iPlayer, Red Button, online and the BBC Sport app (sessions at 12:00 BST and 19:00 BST)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭fran38

Winner not easy to predict. Pinches, Lilley, Jimmy and Igor are ranked near enough to each other. You just don't know what you're going to get with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strong line up for the seniors. Love to see Ken complete the set of world, world u/21, world amateur and senior titles, a record will never be equalled. Hendry v Figueiredo would be a really interesting qf. Igor looked really sharp in crucible qualifying but hendry with a solid years work behind him should be very competitive at this level. Wouldn't surprise me to see the winner of that win it out.

Wouldn't be ruling out Mick Judge either, reigning uk seniors champ and definitely well capable of making his presence felt at this level. And will be nice to see Patsy at the crucible again, this time with a cue in his hand and not merely being pointed out by Dennis Taylor!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The withdrawals are real. Is this gonna be live on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The withdrawals are real. Is this gonna be live on the website?

I see they changed the website link I put in the OP.

If I remember I seem to remember they mentioned digital platforms and the red button.

I have the red button channel on satellite so that is how I am going to watch it (hopefully).

But I remember the final the last year I went ape. In the middle of it, full tension. They decided to cut the red button feed to the online platform. I don't have VPN's or the like.

EDIT:

I updated the link to this one:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/56966164

Coverage: Watch live on BBC iPlayer, Red Button, online and the BBC Sport app (sessions at 12:00 BST and 19:00 BST)

I see they changed the website link I put in the OP.

If I remember I seem to remember they mentioned digital platforms and the red button.

I have the red button channel on satellite so that is how I am going to watch it (hopefully).

But I remember the final the last year I went ape, In the middle of it, full tension they decided to cut the feed to the online platform. I don't have VPN's or the like.

I remember the furore last year alright. Maddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Patsy Fagan's first time playing at the Crucible since 1985

Jimmy v Tony Knowles is a repeat of a match that happened a few times in the 80s. Jimmy fairly easily beat Tony in the 1988 q/f and I'd expect him to win here this week.

Hendry is going to be much stronger than he was last August. After Ken he'll probably be favourite I'd think

Yeah the red button for the live final was taken over by a repeat of women's golf. A live sporting event shouldn't be replaced with a repeat of sport

Yeah the red button for the live final was taken over by a repeat of women's golf. A live sporting event shouldn't be replaced with a repeat of sport

A live sporting event shouldn't be replaced by anything. BBC are awful for that.

I remember watching the women's ice hockey semi final at VAN2014 live on BBC and they cut right in the middle of the 3rd period to a discussion on the curling that happened 2 days previously. I love curling, but Jesus Christ.

You saw the state of their chopping and changing last weekend for the snooker. Brutal.

I remember the furore last year alright. Maddening.
    A live sporting event shouldn't be replaced by anything. BBC are awful for that.

I remember watching the women's ice hockey semi final at VAN2014 live on BBC and they cut right in the middle of the 3rd period to a discussion on the curling that happened 2 days previously. I love curling, but Jesus Christ.

You saw the state of their chopping and changing last weekend for the snooker. Brutal.

Thanks for the info on the women's golf repeat. I could not remember what was played instead.

I sent in a 'comment' via the BBC website explaining what they did last year and not to cut live snooker coverage again for repeats of sport. Plus I explained how I was from Ireland etc and they should think of viewers outside the UK.

It said on the website to send a comment and not a complaint (if possible) as many of them are working from home due to covid19.

When you think of it there is large ROI interest in this tournament, a lot of representation.

Remember the time they cut off a ronnie match at the crucible to show a repeat of Some Mothers Do Ave Em. Been going on for years. Also have a vague recollection of them once cutting off a ronnie v judd match at a critical point. But that was merely the live broadcast, cutting off the red button is a new low. World Snooker bends over backwards to accommodate the broadcasters and this is how they get repaid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks for the info on the women's golf repeat. I could not remember what was played instead.

I sent in a 'comment' via the BBC website explaining what they did last year and not to cut live snooker coverage again for repeats of sport. Plus I explained how I was from Ireland etc and they should think of viewers outside the UK.

It said on the website to send a comment and not a complaint (if possible) as many of them are working from home due to covid19.

When you think of it there is large ROI interest in this tournament, a lot of representation.

The BBC don't care about viewers in Ireland, why should they really? You don't pay them a TV license fee.

SteM wrote: »
    The BBC don't care about viewers in Ireland, why should they really? You don't pay them a TV license fee.

Fair point, I sent 'World Senior Snooker' an email as well giving out. Saying it is a shame their tournament and viewers from Ireland are treated so shabbily by the BBC.
    Plus note should be taken of the amount of representation from the ROI - Doherty, Fagan, Judge.
    Plus I hoped World Senior Snooker would put more pressure on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SteM

Fair point, I sent 'World Senior Snooker' an email as well giving out. Saying it is a shame their tournament and viewers from Ireland are treated so shabbily by the BBC.
    Plus note should be taken of the amount of representation from the ROI - Doherty, Fagan, Judge.
    Plus I hoped World Senior Snooker would put more pressure on the BBC.

Maybe you should contact RTE asking them why they're not showing it?

SteM wrote: »
    Maybe you should contact RTE asking them why they're not showing it?

Very good point. I will get on to them next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Matchroom are showing this too.

Rothko wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Matchroom are showing this too.

You're spot on

https://matchroom.live/sports/snooker

Anyone have a matchroom subscription or know who would normally do commentary on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Whoever isn't playing will be commentating, if I remember rightly from last year, possibly with Rob Walker. It could almost be renamed The Commentators Cup.

Yeah, I remember Dennis and Ken were commentating last year.

Great century by Morgan. That red into the green pocket was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

How did Patsy Fagan qualify for the event, I see he is 70 years of age!

Glenman wrote: »
    How did Patsy Fagan qualify for the event, I see he is 70 years of age!

There were a few withdrawals because of travel restrictions, cliff thorburn and a couple of others, so Patsy was one of those invited to make up the numbers.

Come on Patsy - Hendry implied he might be a bit tired from his commentary!

First frame to Hendry v Fagan.

Patsy should really have won that frame he had 24 on the board. Missed black off the spot when he only needed another 40 ish.

Hendry knocked in a 40 plus break to finish on 73 - had a good few chances to score.

Patsy is from the old school. None of this walk on music. Let's just get on with it.

Patsy is from the old school. None of this walk on music. Let's just get on with it.

Yeah I loved that. Rob Walker was saying to him, you didn't wait for the walk on music.

And Patsy kinda looking at him as if he did not know what 'walk on' music was!

Ball Run Hendry when it was a pink ball game for Fagan - second frame. Snookered Fagan.

Black ball game - Hendry goes 2-0 - jammy git.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yeah I loved that. Rob Walker was saying to him, you didn't wait for the walk on music.

And Patsy kinda looking at him as if he did not know what 'walk on' music was!

Poor Patsy hasn't even got a knickname

Shame for patsy there, a few decent pots to his credit at least. Hendry looks like he hasn't had a decent sleep for a while.

• Advertisement

Poor Patsy hasn't even got a knickname

Yeah I saw that!

It was a bit cruel listing all their 'achievement stats' side by side.

Titles - 75 v 3
    Career Highlight - 7 times world champion v UK Champion 1977

Advertisement