Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Security Clearance for UK Gov Roles

• 09-11-2019 4:12pm

Hi there,

I am currently looking at public sector jobs in London and have an interview next week for a central government/Civil Service role for which the security clearance level required is Security Check (SC). Official UK Gov guidance advises that one should be resident in the UK for a reasonable period in order for meaningful checks to be carried out while most recruitment agencies and other threads I found advise you need to have been resident in the UK for the last 5 years to obtain SC clearance. I have also seen other roles that note not having 5 years UK residency does not mean you are ineligible to apply but that it may mean your SC will take longer and/or not be possible.

If I am successful in my interview and I am offered a role, is it highly unlikely that I could obtain SC clearance given I have never been UK resident? Anyone know if ways around this? I do know that SC can take months and months so it might even go against me if I was successful. FYI it's not a high-level or niche role.

I have queried this with the recruitment team but just want to see if anyone has had any direct experience with it. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If you've not been resident, you can't get clearance. Even if you were a UK citizen, this requirement remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Bit late, but this might help anyone else who has the same question in the future. The vetting process in the UK changes daily, or so it feels. In reality SC is a fairly basic check - I think mine was done fairly quickly, and I had just landed in the UK as well - perhaps enda1 can contradict this, as my anecdote might not be helpful. Might help if you can set up a bank account or something, which would mean getting a place in the UK prior to accepting the job, a risky proposition. I would bear in mind, for anything security-related in the UK you will need a more meaningful relationship with the UK - be it a few years residency, or UK citizenship. I held SC for two jobs here, and I was generally booted out of meetings that involved anything that was for Five Eyes.

Advertisement