Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Passat 05/06 new model - any problems?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

There seems to be a screw rolling around inside the dash somewhere.....wrecking my head!

I had the same problem.It's a coin that has fallen out of one of the drawers and is rolling behind. You need to take the drawer out and get the coin.Easy enough job but a bitch to get the spring back on. Have a look out www.passatworld forum

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Robertr

I have a 06 Highline 2.0 FSI model. Never gave me a days trouble...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/Highline/200845190737984/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Moanin wrote: »
    I had the same problem.It's a coin that has fallen out of one of the drawers and is rolling behind. You need to take the drawer out and get the coin.Easy enough job but a bitch to get the spring back on. Have a look out www.passatworld forum

Sound, I only have it a week and did`nt put anything into the trays, might look at pulling them out.

Pain in the arse all right, rear window is foggin up an awfull lot too, specially when its cold and raining, left the vents open and wiped the rear window but still fogs up.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JJMcG

I've a 06 Passat 1.9. I bcannot seem to turn off the ESP traction control button. The button appears dead!!!!! Although the Traction control performs fine in snow/Frost. Also there is an airbag fault prompt!! Has anyone experienced these probs??? Thanks Jj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

JJMcG wrote: »
    I've a 06 Passat 1.9. I bcannot seem to turn off the ESP traction control button. The button appears dead!

Press and hold the button for 3 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

Could someone please tell me if it is possible for a faulty oil pump to trigger the immobilizer on a TDI 1.9 2006 Passat (manufactered in 2005). Details below:

Car stopped twice due to Immobilizer active. This always happened after I parked the car to go to the shop or so and always after the system had previously prompted me to refuel the tank although at the same time it indicated I had at least 90KM left.

1st time, I got out of the car, waited 5 min and then it started again.
    2nd time, had to be sent to VW where they 1st said it was the battery which they replaced and car was going fine again, but then after a few hours when they were checking it just before collection, they said it was not starting anymore and now it was something else like the Flywheel and Clutch for which they wanted to replace one unit for 450 euros, then if that did not work, they would replace another unit for further 400 euros. They were not able to pinpoint the problem and in the end said they weren't even sure it really was a Flywheel and Clutch problem. They said it would cost me at least 2,500 euros to fix it in a way they could guarantee it would not give me more problems.

Since I cannot afford that and at that time the car was going fine again, after they put my old battery back into it, we decided to bring the car back and it's been like waking on thin ice everyday I start it, but it's been fine until today when it just stopped. Out of curiosity, I opened the bonnet and saw that the oil filter was flooded on the outside, so we opened it and realized there was hardly any oil inside the oil filter thingy. This made me recall a time last year when my partner completely forgot to fill the tank and the thing just was air locked so we put diesel into it and the car started again. We believe it is the oil pump that's faulty and that was what was triggering the immobilizer... but are we correct in our assumption?

I do remember that before saying 'Immobilizer Active' on the 2 occasions described above, the dash also did indicate 'engine fault' - I can't remember the exact wording but for me it suggested that the diesel wasn't getting into the engine or something...

It seems to be obvious that when the diesel is low the pump is not strong enough to pump it to the filter... as there was hardly any diesel in the filter after we topped up the tank with diesel today... so I am going to have the oil pump replaced for around 250 euros, but is it possible that this faulty oil pump actually caused/triggered the Immobilizer? is this is a normal thing a car would like a safety precaution against people who tamper with the oil tank, for example? Or am I just having a wishful thinking moment?

Please advise as best you may from your own experience or expertise.

Thanks,

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you mean the fuel pump?

Can't imagine how the clutch or flywheel could've been the cause..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you mean the fuel pump?

Can't imagine how the clutch or flywheel could've been the cause..

Yes, I mean the Fuel Pump. Can a fault with the FP trigger the immobilizer? The Immob is an anti-theft device, isn't it? So, could it be possible that a fault with the pump would send a signal to the car's computer to shut down and turn on the the Immob?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

rupamede wrote: »
    Yes, I mean the Fuel Pump. Can a fault with the FP trigger the immobilizer? The Immob is an anti-theft device, isn't it? So, could it be possible that a fault with the pump would send a signal to the car's computer to shut down and turn on the the Immob?

Thanks

A mate of mine has the exact same problem. 05 Passat which just stopped up in the road over the christmas. It does this on an off and its like a lottery whether it will start or not. He brought it to the local VW dealer and they scanned it. Nothing showed. They did a few service bits and let him on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

To the OP, you say you're interested in the 2.0 TDI unit. I know that these engines have had some serious issues re the injector and the turbo so make sure you do your homework if you're looking at one of an 05-06 vintage. I think the newer ones have a different 2.0L unit and I can't comment on that. I do know anecdotally though that there are serious and quite common problems with that engine so if you want reliability go for the 1.9 engine even if it is a bit antediluvian.
    I know it's a bit pub bore of me to say this but I heard a girl at work complaining of having to spend huge wedge on injectors for her '06 Passat. Guess what engine it had... Curiosity got the better of me and after I asked what the mileage was. I was shocked to discover that it had only covered 70,000 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The original post is 25 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

i had an 06 tdi highline and loved it. there was a problem requiring dealer download of a repair from vw germany-windows opening while the car was locked and immobile, same with the boot and doors unlocking. this wasnt just mine-a work colleague experienced the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xibateew

06 140bhp 2.0 litre engine are nothing but trouble - will never buy a VW again, in the last 3 months I have spent 2,600e on replacing the steering rack and number 1 injecter. They are 4 injectors and they will all go. 1 injecter to replace costed me 1,080e that included getting my car towed which was 100e. Also the handbrake gives problems, the flywheel which I hear costs over 1000e to replace gives serious problems. Im getting rid of this car quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pearsie03

I`d go with the 2 litre for the extra power, bought a 2 litre TDI sport in the UK last week, 37K on it, leather interior, 9100 STG, 4500 Euro to clear.
    In great nick, very powerfull.

There seems to be a screw rolling around inside the dash somewhere.....wrecking my head!

Same issue with mine 2005 1.9TDI bought from UK, I think its probably from somebody putting money into the drawers and it has fallen back into the dash, very annoying sometimes but other times u cant hear it, a good bang on the dash usually shuts it up for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement