Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applegreen - 5c off Fuel

Options
  • 14-12-2018 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

More details here: https://www.applegreenstores.com/the-great-price-drop/

and here: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/applegreen-announces-drop-in-fuel-prices-by-5-cent-a-litre-892078.html

Not sure if it's a bargain or just publicity but thought I'd share

T&C's
    The 5c per litre price drop begins from Friday 14th December 2018
    This 5c price drop applies to Applegreen fuelgood fuel across all Applegreen sites in the Republic of Ireland only.
    Price drop may be on either fuelgood diesel or fuelgood unleaded
    The 5c price drop will be priced against market prices set on 6th December 2018.
    There is no restriction on the amount of litres which customers can purchase.
    The Promoter; Applegreen reserves the right to cancel, suspend or amend the price drop in the event of any unforeseen circumstances arising which are beyond it’s reasonable control without giving prior notice & without liability. Prices may change in line with market fluctuation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Were 5c dearer recently than my local maxol, so now they've just come inline with recent global oil price drops

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

vicwatson wrote: »
    Were 5c dearer recently than my local maxol, so now they've just come inline with recent global oil price drops

I was half thinking it was going to be something like that - especially given that they are using the market prices from the 6th December..

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Applegreen diesel and petrol is notoriously bad. I have heard several people say things like lawnmowers etc don't start with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Strimmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Applegreen diesel and petrol is notoriously bad. I have heard several people say things like lawnmowers etc don't start with it.

Totally agree i wouldn't get my fuel there if they were giving it away, just not worth the risk of fecking up your engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

gustafo wrote: »
    Totally agree i wouldn't get my fuel there if they were giving it away, just not worth the risk of fecking up your engine.

This is bullcrap. I've been using applegreen for a long time before they went dearer and never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah putting the lawnmower away without cleaning it or ever servicing it and it's the fuels fault when it doesn't start. All petrol and diesel in this country is the same, some companies put in extra additives but the base is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

My local apple green is always a constant 2 or 3 cents cheaper than other garages in area, but have noticed the last couple of weeks it has been the opposite where they havebeen 4 cents dearer.
    Now I know why...that with the price of fuel falling anyway this does seem to be just a publicity stunt..

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

130ish in my local Apple Green this morning, considerably cheaper than anywhere else - filled up yesterday at 135 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    130ish in my local Apple Green this morning, considerably cheaper than anywhere else - filled up yesterday at 135 unfortunately.

128.9 for diesel when I passed my local one this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

It's always the cheapest in my area so this will make it even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Don't forget to factor in the fuel used queueing for a pump. At least that's what usually happens when there's a "cheap" fuel promotion!

Last year's Applegreen Lusk promotion

Yeah, yeah, this year's one isn't as big a discount but folk are Bargain Mad!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All E5 petrol goes bad over time sitting in cans/tanks as the ethanol component decomposes / evaporates leaving the remaining fuel extremely low octane. This means garden appliances give trouble at the start of the season

All stations sell E5 now by law.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yeah putting the lawnmower away without cleaning it or ever servicing it and it's the fuels fault when it doesn't start. All petrol and diesel in this country is the same, some companies put in extra additives but the base is the same.

Fair enough, believe what you want! But bizarrely, the same people put other fuel in and eureka, lawnmower starts.....

But sure, feel free to keep wrecking your engine if you want with such junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Applegreen diesel and petrol is notoriously bad.

Horseshíte
    I have heard several people say things like lawnmowers etc don't start with it.

So you're just a gullible fool then?

L1011 wrote: »
    All E5 petrol goes bad over time sitting in cans/tanks as the ethanol component decomposes / evaporates leaving the remaining fuel extremely low octane. This means garden appliances give trouble at the start of the season

All stations sell E5 now by law.

This is not at the start of the season! Of course it does, I am saying perfectly freshly bought fuel in Applegreen is rubbish for some lawnmowers, strimmers, etc. Fuel bought in Topaz etc does not have this problem.

But sure, each can do what they want I guess!

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=238585 i think proves the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

i think proves the point.

No it really doesn't.

Don't be so 'centsitive' about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

I have had an Applegreen Fleetcard for the last number of years and the fleet price and the general pump price for
    Petrol or Diesel have been basically much the same up until about two months ago.

Last weeks fleet price was 124.2 cents per liter for diesel and the week before this 126.4 cents including Vat. The price at the pumps was 10c per liter more and most other stations around the same fixed price of 134-138 cents. The price of petrol/diesel has been falling for months and all the oil stations have not been passing it on.

Also in relation to unleaded Asda in the North, with higher duties is much cheaper and was 111.9 pence per litre and with the exchange instore of €1=£0.884 meant it was 126 cents a litre. Much cheaper for the first time in about 6 years this side of the border.

The petrol stations in Ireland have been taking the piss and not passing on the price reductions and the competition authority should be investigating this IMO.

This 5 cent price drop is a charade and long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

md23040 wrote: »
    The price of petrol/diesel has been falling for months and all the oil stations have not been passing it on.

Call me a cynic but I'd be more surprised if they did!

Always go up straight away though. Must be coincidence. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭jacool

md23040 wrote: »
    The price of petrol/diesel has been falling for months and all the oil stations have not been passing it on.
    The petrol stations in Ireland have been taking the piss and not passing on the price reductions and the competition authority should be investigating this IMO.
    I worked for a petrol station in my college days.
    The day the price went up the owner was ouit like a shot to put the price up at the pumps.
    Any day the price went down he left it as it was. When I told him that the punters were complaining he said "Tell them we've just had a delivery at the old price. We'll reduce the price when that lot is sold"

Let's not even talk about the murky world of "red diesel" !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This is not at the start of the season! Of course it does, I am saying perfectly freshly bought fuel in Applegreen is rubbish for some lawnmowers, strimmers, etc. Fuel bought in Topaz etc does not have this problem.

You do realise they all buy from the same wholesale supplier?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Somebody posts a BA on diesel....and the thread spirals into a poxy whinge about petrol lawnmowers and strimmers not starting. Seriously.......WTF ?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It's not a bargain, it's Applegreen turning a cost decrease that all stations are giving, into a marketing ploy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Won’t be long now and the electric car brigade will be along too

What if you wear a poppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I got Diesel today for €1.305/L today in Applegreen, I had put in €30.00 yesterday in a Topaz @ €1.379/L so filled the car when I saw it cheaper. I have got fills from different AppleGreen Stations and never a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

i think proves the point.

Not even vaguely

The sell the same fuel as other stations.

If you're using an antique lump that can't handle fresh E5 you aren't going to get fuel anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I paid €1.45 today : - (

For Diesel or Petrol, where? I'll be going to Belfast next week and I wonder what is the current situation, is it cheaper or dearer up North or is Northern Diesel still dodgy with the IRA adding chemicals to cut the dye out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Circle k are matching applegreens prices in sites that are close to applegreen sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Slightly off topic, but what's the best way to stay in tune with fuel price changes?
    Id like to preempt diesel/petrol going up or down at the pumps so I can tell if I should fill up now if its getting dearer or hold off its its getting cheaper..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Following the exchange rates for USD is one way I would guess.

Advertisement