Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Huge Greenland Hiawatha Glacier Crater

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The most amazing thing is that the deep ocean floor that covers two thirds of our planet is very young because it keeps gets recycled. Very little of it is over 150 million years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The possibility that this is so recent is very interesting.
    The impact of the mile-wide iron meteor was equivalent to 47 million times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb (:eek:)
    Imagine if that happened now - well my imagination says it would obliterate our civilisations down to dust, there would be no traces left of anything , but I could be wrong. 47 million nuclear bombs though!

Ages and ages ago I remember hearing a snippet on radio (maybe 25 years ago even) about some research done in an Irish University that showed the last ice age disappeared very abruptly. Cannot for the life of me find it now. I know there is more recent research that shows ice ages happen very quickly, but as far as I remember this was about the melt off being really fast. If I have remembered even vaguely correctly then surely an impact like this would have burned off an ice age really quickly? Or - conversely - even caused the brief (well, 1000+ years) Younger Dryas cool period that reversed previous warming trends?

Leaving aside all of Randall Carlson's gematria and sacred geometry fancies for a moment, he does speak of soil formations that could only have happened with massive fires and sudden water inundation. I can't sieve through all his stuff to find references.

Regardless of hypothesis - the Younger Dryas happened. Extreme cold, huge floods and mass extinctions. Same could happen anytime.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zorya wrote: »
    Ages and ages ago I remember hearing a snippet on radio (maybe 25 years ago even) about some research done in an Irish University that showed the last ice age disappeared very abruptly.

In 2008 a Danish ice drilling project in Greenland identified that the ice age ended 11,711 years previously.

( Possibly on July 19th :pac: )

Fathom wrote: »
    Comparatively. Massive, undiscovered ocean impacts?
    We'd have no way of knowing.

Unless there was secondary evidence on land or in the shallows. Like tsunami or secondary impacts from ejecta. It could explain some mass extinctions.

Advertisement