Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Robot Vacuum Cleaner €179.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Can it make it over door saddle's?

Apparently yes, according to an earlier post. And it has been posted that it is doing carpets too. It seems to be impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ANewStart

I got one and it works well, though I do have a timber floored apartment which is probably the easiest place possible.

Note: my dog sheds a lot of hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's made it over mine sometimes and not other times. Seems to depend if it's going straight on and also one side of one of the door saddles is a bit higher than the other. In general, it does but I've just been putting it into a room, setting it off and closing the door so that it actually cleans that room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Can't make it over any of mine - just depends on how high the saddle is I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Beadyeye

Where would I buy spares for this such as brushes/wheels? Also if it stops working or develops a fault within the 3 year warranty does aldi send it off to manufacture for repairs? Thanks

• Advertisement

No problem with Robinson getting over my saddle boards.

Details of the manufacturer warranty is in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Picked one up this eve, strangest thing was the waste box had dirt already in it.. everything else in the box was completely sealed, unit itself had plastic protection on it... very strange. Anyways, I'd have returned it but being a gadget freak had to let it run riot..
    We run a montessori in the house, let it off in the room and did a great job.. missus loves the idea of being able to set it off at the end of each day. Robot lawnmower is next!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Could one of you lucky folk upload a video of it working, please. Would like to see it in action in a normal household as distinct from the contrived situations in the marketing videos.

If I have time I'll have a look at recording it tomorrow.

I've also e-mailed the distributor (Kenny Distributors) asking about spares in the future. I'd be surprised if Aldi don't offer spares at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Picked one up myself after some extensive research! Chuffed with it so far! Does a great job on the wooden floors and set it loose on the carpeted rooms tonight. After popping my head in to check how he was getting on, it appeared to pull up dirt from the carpet as I noticed balls of fluff spread about the room that weren't there before then it went around and collected these. I purposely didn't hoover for a week or so to see how the bot got on.

Has anyone successfully set it to a plan? Reading the instructions it says press the clock and set the time but when I press the clock, the bot makes a sound but nothing shows on the screen of the remote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Could one of you lucky folk upload a video of it working, please

Poor light conditions, tiled floor, short clip, great bloody job

SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    Picked one up myself after some extensive research! Cuffed with it so far! Does a great job on the wooden floors and set it loose on the carpeted rooms tonight. After popping my head in to check how he was getting on, it appeared to pull up dirt from the carpet as I noticed balls of fluff spread about the room that weren't there before then it went around and collected these. I purposely didn't hoover for a week or so to see how the bot got on.

Has anyone successfully set it to a plan? Reading the instructions it says press the clock and set the time but when I press the clock, the bot makes a sound but nothing shows on the screen of the remote?

You press clock, use the arrows to set the hour and minute values, then press clock again. That's setting the clock for the remote and the unit. Then you press plan, use the arrows to set the time you want it to start cleaning at and press plan again. Job done. Haven't used it myself yet but everything else had worked a dream so can't imagine why this wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Our 1year old was terrified by it at the start.

Aw. Poor thing.
    Re stock levels I'm sure there's plenty. Most would see this as a fairly big spend on a not so necessary item. I on the other hand hate Hoovering and so will take all the help I can get!

I've never been so torn about a bargain alert :P
    As you say it really is a luxury buy. I'd love to have one, especially going by the reviews here but dunno if i can justify 180 euro to myself.
    Wonder would it be a good mother's day gift. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

bogman wrote: »

hmm says video is "private" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can't wait till some sticks a Go Pro on it and records their cats reaction to the robot whizzing around !

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can't wait till some sticks a Go Pro on it and records their cats reaction to the robot whizzing around !

Mine have been mostly eyeing it with deep distrust. It also caught one of the dogs by surprise when it wheeld up behind her while she was drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CH3OH

bogman wrote: »

mrcheez wrote: »
    hmm says video is "private" ?

It's obviously a very Dirty video!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Clare20

It's brilliant.

I have an open plan downstairs in hardwood and it's just shining.

Upstairs is carpeted and it did such a great job.

Congrats Aldi. Great job! Don't let me down with the product!

Loving the robot :)

C20

PS: Just remove extraneous items from the floor that shouldn't be around - chords,shoes, bags ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Cuffed with it so far!

I've seen various videos of cats etc on those things, but this could be the most interesting of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CH3OH wrote: »
    It's obviously a very Dirty video!

Ooh - it must be good. Maybe the poster can do something about this because we're all fascinated now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 majoliroja

I got mine on sunday - charged it for the 12 hours and set it to work yesterday
    Its brilliant on my ceramic tiles and even manages to go from the tiles through into the carpeted living room -
    Its not as good on carpet as tiles but it does collect pet hairs although it has to go over them many times to get them all and its better if i give it a turbo boost but i did give it a carpet that had not been vacuumed by my dyson for 5 days
    For the money you cant go wrong and with the 60 day money back guarantee and three year warantee its definitely the best robot cleaner buy at the moment
    My house wil look clean all the time now even when the dogs mault their hair and when i have got them used to the robot i look forward to planning a cleaning schedule with it to get on with while i am at work
    I give it a 9 out of 10
    Thanks aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Plenty of Youtube videos of babies/cats etc on Roombas. Parents cracking up in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Really tempted by this - just to keep the house a bit tidier between hoover cycles - have a dog and a cat so have lots of hair lying around.

Does anyone know how it would compare to this Vileda which is a similar price and same wattage?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vileda-143004-Cleaning-Robotic-Cleaner/dp/B00DEB8NOM

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

nkay1985 wrote: »
    You press clock, use the arrows to set the hour and minute values, then press clock again. That's setting the clock for the remote and the unit. Then you press plan, use the arrows to set the time you want it to start cleaning at and press plan again. Job done. Haven't used it myself yet but everything else had worked a dream so can't imagine why this wouldn't.

Yeah that's how to do it alright but the thing is when I press Clock on the remote nothing is displayed on the remote's screen but the bot does beep. I have tried turning it off from underneath and different batteries but it's the same. Just want to see if there's something I am doing wrong and if any one else has successfully set it to a plan yet? Left him to tackle the carpeted bedrooms when I left for work, will see how they look later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yeah that's how to do it alright but the thing is when I press Clock on the remote nothing is displayed on the remote's screen but the bot does beep. I have tried turning it off from underneath and different batteries but it's the same. Just want to see if there's something I am doing wrong and if any one else has successfully set it to a plan yet? Left him to tackle the carpeted bedrooms when I left for work, will see how they look later.

Maybe there was a plan in the remote already and pressing the button just sends it to the vacuum.
    Maybe if you tried hold down the button it might allow you t set it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Have to say it's the business, set it off this morning around the house.. does a great job, very impressed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Quick question for those who have bought it. It it any good at returning to it's docking station if it is in a separate room?

Mezcita wrote: »
    Quick question for those who have bought it. It it any good at returning to it's docking station if it is in a separate room?

I haven't tried it but the manual says it won't work. I'll give it a go today and let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Out of interest (given that there's probably no stock left) does anyone know if it has a memory of where it's done or is there a chance it will just keep doing the same area of a room & not actually do the whole room or even go into the next room.

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Out of interest (given that there's probably no stock left) does anyone know if it has a memory of where it's done or is there a chance it will just keep doing the same area of a room & not actually do the whole room or even go into the next room.

I'm pretty sure it's just based on random movements and doesn't have any memory of what it's done. The reasoning being if it's at it long enough, it will eventually cover all areas. From my experience, I'd have to say that appears to ring true.

Advertisement