Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Do you guys feel like the WWE are repeating the mistakes that caused WCW to fail, i.e. over-reliance on older big names rather than the young and the good?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bad week all in all for the WWE, Vince must be a wreck the air of excitment he built with The Network launching has turned very bitter in the last few weeks, I wonder will this affect the number of buys they'll achieve on the network.

All I know is, the current product is putting me off buying it at the moment. But the classic PPVs might be enough to reel me in.

I wonder what knock on affect on Punk's walk out will have on the Kane storyline. Will he just feud with Bryan now or move on to someone else.

Also, once the part time starts feck off after WM, they really need to build new stars, they dropped the bar not pushing Ziggler and Sandow after their respective MITB wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Do you guys feel like the WWE are repeating the mistakes that caused WCW to fail, i.e. over-reliance on older big names rather than the young and the good?

Yes, but unlike WCW they are in a far stronger position. The WWE brand alone sells PPV's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Yes, but unlike WCW they are in a far stronger position. The WWE brand alone sells PPV's.

The WWECW Brand doesn't tho! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ridiculous behavior.

He's made a ton of money and has had a great career, multiple world championships, money in the banks, you name it.

Acting like a petulant child isn't the way to do things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ridiculous behavior.

He's made a ton of money and has had a great career, multiple world championships, money in the banks, you name it.

He's not acting like a child he's upset about his career not going anywhere and he has the money to allow him to quit, he's done what we all wish we could do!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

It's hard to tell whats going on until something official is confirmed. I think some people are being unfair towards WWE here, it wasn't like he was forgotten about he has always been billed as a top star the last 2 or so years. I think he's just burnt out, I know there are a lot of Punk fanboys here that will worship everything he does but the fact is he hasn't exactly been in tip top shape for the last year if not more. Don't get me wrong he still has great matches when he wants to, but he's gotten even more sloppier than he was before over the last few months and as much flack as people were giving Batista for gassing so quickly in the Rumble Punk wasn't far behind him and all my friends that I watched the Rumble commented on it as well. Yes he was there for almost the whole match, but he was also on the canvas/standing around for the majority of it and when he was active he looked visibly exhausted.

mikey13 wrote: »
    He's not acting like a child he's upset about his career not going anywhere and he has the money to allow him to quit, he's done what we all wish we could do!

He's acting like a child by no showing Raw and Smackdown and forcing re-writes because Daniel Bryan is getting the match Punk thought he was getting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Also thinking about it, I don't just support Punk cause of how he's trying to actually further his own career, but also in terms of how it's bit of a protest against something which damages WWE for the fans.

We constantly hear about WWE's inability to build stars and how they simply blame "not getting over" on the wrestlers themselves. But Punk (and Bryan) are examples of people who have gotten over, who are becoming modern day stars....and yet WWE still don't give a ****, and don't book them accordingly.

A walk-out/protest is actually something that would do the fans good, cause it might make WWE stop and think about what's happening. It's a shame there's not a viable alternative (No, I do not consider TNA to be one), cause if Punk actually moved somewhere, it would cause major shockwaves. He also could pull people with him. But with nowhere to go, he probably won't be able to convince smaller guys unfortunately. There's a lot of guys who could stand to be treated better by WWE right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ridiculous behavior.

He still has plenty of that in him though, and is being pushed aside for someone who's nearly 50 and has had all that too.

• Advertisement

Also thinking about it, I don't just support Punk cause of how he's trying to actually further his own career, but also in terms of how it's bit of a protest against something which damages WWE for the fans.

We constantly hear about WWE's inability to build stars and how they simply blame "not getting over" on the wrestlers themselves. But Punk (and Bryan) are examples of people who have gotten over, who are becoming modern day stars....and yet WWE still don't give a ****, and don't book them accordingly.

A walk-out/protest is actually something that would do the fans good, cause it might make WWE stop and think about what's happening. It's a shame there's not a viable alternative (No, I do not consider TNA to be one), cause if Punk actually moved somewhere, it would cause major shockwaves. He also could pull people with him. But with nowhere to go, he probably won't be able to convince smaller guys unfortunately. There's a lot of guys who could stand to be treated better by WWE right now.

This a million times. Not over with the fans? sure that's your fault, over with the fans? welll WE didn't get you over so hold on their mister don't be thinking you're too big for your boots now settle down.

The ego of Vince and WWE in general when it comes to guys getting themselves over is actually insane. Any other company would be be like "holy sh1t the fans love this guy, run with it" but nope, not Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I haven't been watching WWE for a while, I was shocked when I heard Cena vs Wyatt and Orton vs Batista would be main events at WrestleMania. They don't cut it or anywhere close. Both Bryan vs HHH and Taker vs Lesner would be much bigger and if that's the case the unified WWE title match would probably be the third or fourth biggest match on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

krudler wrote: »
    He still has plenty of that in him though, and is being pushed aside for someone who's nearly 50 and has had all that too.

I really think too many people are reading too much into the Batista thing, he says himself in the Aerial Helwani interview that he doesn't have much of a problem with Batista coming back because he's doing exactly what Rock didn't do and is back on a 2 year full time contract. I think if anything Punk respects that a bit more to be honest.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

WWE had the chance to have Punk vs. Bryan as the main event of this years WM. a pivotal match for a pivotal moment in the company. instead they go with the boring route with batista and of course, HHH comes in - "oh daniel bryan is really really over with the fans is he? WELL I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO FEUD WITH HIM BECAUSE IM ME AND IM GREAT" just like he did with punk in 2011. how the f**k are they so against doing great things with the talent they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The decision to bring back Batista is getting worse every day. 2 more years of him, ugh.

The decision to bring back Batista is getting worse every day. 2 more years of him, ugh.

The gust of wind from the chamber door opening might tear a muscle on him though.

Was delighted when Reigns drilled him with that spear after Batista botched his own one, looked messy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

krudler wrote: »
    The gust of wind from the chamber door opening might tear a muscle on him though.

Was delighted when Reigns drilled him with that spear after Batista botched his own one, looked messy as hell.

One can only hope, hes not in it though is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just home having read this and I'm pissed off about it and not really shocked either, Because since Wrestlemania last year...Punk has done nothing of note really (outside the Lesnar feud)

and if i was in his position i'd be pretty pissed off too, Fare enough the Rock comes in and takes his spot hes a massive mainstream movie star and Wrestler and could make huge money for WWE , but Batista ....really ? and against Orton thats just plain stupid like why not even put Punk against Batista at least that'd been fresh and something we've never seen before

I hope he comes back for Wrestlemania

One can only hope, hes not in it though is he?

I don't think he is, I was talking about him standing backstage and feeling a draft :pac:

Most reports are saying it has little to do with Batista. It's mostly down to Bryan getting put ahead of him now. If it was down to Batista, surely it would have happened a few weeks back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

We're being worked brah!

sockmo wrote: »
    We're being worked brah!

Really don't see this turning out to be a work.

Loughc wrote: »
    Really don't see this turning out to be a work.

A lot live in denial. Just look at how many are still claiming the Daniel Bryan stuff has been planned all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Such a balls too with Sting more than likely signing would have loved to see them go at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

sockmo wrote: »
    We're being worked brah!

Working the internet
    ???
    Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

It's very rare that the WWE will work the marks and smarks all at the same time.

I feel this is one of those moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

mikey13 wrote: »

Not going anywhere? He had a lengthy title reign, wrestled the Rock, the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar. Multiple title wins. All while earning millions.

Must really suck to be him. :rolleyes:

Austin reflects back on when he walked out in 2002 and he's admitted it was a stupid thing to do. So is this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aye but Punk doesn't want to be a Jericho-type. He wants the Cena-level recognition and he won't get that by being forgotten about come Mania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Most reports are saying it has little to do with Batista. It's mostly down to Bryan getting put ahead of him now. If it was down to Batista, surely it would have happened a few weeks back?

I would find that difficult to believe tbh, probably "info" intentionally leaked to make Punk appear in the worst light possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

Not going anywhere? He had a lengthy title reign, wrestled the Rock, the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar. Multiple title wins. All while earning millions.

Must really suck to be him. :rolleyes:

Austin reflects back on when he walked out in 2002 and he's admitted it was a stupid thing to do. So is this.

That was last year hes spent months fighting the shield with no real purpose they obviously not trying to keep him past July so fair play to him for going on his own terms

Advertisement