Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Folau had a very credible case from the legal perspective if not from the moral one. Folau had a nice legal fund ready to fight it all the way.

They had to hedge their bets I guess.

I'm not sure he did, but your point about legal funds probably explains some of the reasoning. Made a calculated decision on cost of fighting it and/or losing and went with settlement. If he breached rules it seems fairly clearcut but maybe there were other issues at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure he did, but your point about legal funds probably explains some of the reasoning. Made a calculated decision on cost of fighting it and/or losing and went with settlement. If he breached rules it seems fairly clearcut but maybe there were other issues at play.

I’d say it’s like an insurance company paying out on something, they’ll settle rather than risk the case regardless of how they think it should fall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Couple of games on freesports this afternoon for anyone not working.....
    Champions trophy(one of main English schools rugby competitions) final between Wellington and rugby school is on at 12.15 then AASE(which is form of sub academy that give kids not in the big fee paying schools chance play higher grade of rugby) between beechen cliff - affiliated to bath and st Paul's who are affiliated with London Irish on at 2.45

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

testtech05 wrote: »
    I understand they might not have the money for a legal battle but from reading that I'd think that Israel has got a nice pay off for himself.
    Nice pay out I suppose.
    But surely he's now toxic to any sport organization be it rugby or otherwise. His career is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nice pay out I suppose.
    But surely he's now toxic to any sport organization be it rugby or otherwise. His career is over.

I wouldn't be shocked if a French or English club signed him. His recent comments on the bushfires were disgusting, toxic is the right word.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be shocked if a French or English club signed him. His recent comments on the bushfires were disgusting, toxic is the right word.

Yeah some clubs don't seem to care who they sign if the player can do a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No chance

Ok PJ and Olding got signed but they had been ruled innocent or not guilty or whatever it was called. If either had any guilty beside name then no chance

Any French or English club wouldn't touch him at this stage. Maybe after the initial comment on twitter as he could stand behind the "I was just quoting the bible" but the comments since then have just finished off any chance

No club, money or not, in their right mind would sign him. Every sponsor would jump ship and they would have weekly demonstrations.....

I wouldn't be so sure. Look at Sevu Reece for example.

gggg
    I wouldn't be so sure. Look at Sevu Reece for example.

He was discharged with any charges against him......wasnt he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Shefwedfan wrote: »

He pleaded guilty and was given a discharge so as not to harm his career. But he was not acquitted by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    gggg

Yes "he escaped conviction after complying with a police demand to complete an anger management course and publicly apologise." I don't think the facts of him assaulting his girlfriend were disputed by him or his defence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes "he escaped conviction after complying with a police demand to complete an anger management course and publicly apologise." I don't think the facts of him assaulting his girlfriend were disputed by him or his defence though.

He did it in public, couldn’t really dispute it.

It’s up to teams and fans who they want to sign or support. I think the speed at which he went from beating a woman in public to singing karaoke on a certain national team’s twitter page says a lot about the truth of rugby’s supposed ethos and values in some countries (particularly has given that country pat themselves on the back in public for having a no dickheads policy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s up to teams and fans who they want to sign or support. I think the speed at which he went from beating a woman in public to singing karaoke on a certain national team’s twitter page says a lot about the truth of rugby’s supposed ethos and values in some countries (particularly has given that country pat themselves on the back in public for having a no dickheads policy!)

I dont know a huge amount about his story tbh, but didnt his girlfriend advocate for him? My understanding was that he had issues and that he's addressing those issues with her support. I could be wrong though, as I said I font know much about what happened.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I dont know a huge amount about his story tbh, but didnt his girlfriend advocate for him? My understanding was that he had issues and that he's addressing those issues with her support. I could be wrong though, as I said I font know much about what happened.

It wouldn't be first time a victim of domestic violence stuck by their abuse tbh. Guess point remains that clubs have and continue so sign players despite past actions. Maybe Falou will be a bridge top far but remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What was this?

It wouldn't be first time a victim of domestic violence stuck by their abuse tbh. Guess point remains that clubs have and continue so sign players despite past actions. Maybe Falou will be a bridge top far but remains to be seen

Ah yeah, but my point was that with Reece it was a single incident that led to him addressing his demons and ensuring he doesn't do this again. At least that was my understanding. If he is able to do that with the support of his girlfriend (the victim) then it is a different scenario altogether than Folau who has done this repeatedly, continues to do it and is basically guaranteed to never stop doing it regardless of how it impacts others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but my point was that with Reece it was a single incident that led to him addressing his demons and ensuring he doesn't do this again. At least that was my understanding. If he is able to do that with the support of his girlfriend (the victim) then it is a different scenario altogether than Folau who has done this repeatedly, continues to do it and is basically guaranteed to never stop doing it regardless of how it impacts others.

Reece was on the police radar for some time for this type of stuff just didn't have enough to convict until it went to court. ( That was from the report I read)

Reece was on the police radar for some time for this type of stuff just didn't have enough to convict until it went to court. ( That was from the report I read)

Ah okay, I thought it was a once off. Not keen to pass judgement from a point of ignorance so will leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Interesting. I'd never heard that. I have heard of a few of the PI guys who go to NZ in their late teens having a bit of trouble with drink and fighting. I suppose it's a bit like guys who move away for uni. Too much freedom and time and away from their families and the church. Also a lot of them had never touched alcohol before they arrive in NZ or Aus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The thing about Reece is that it was Sevu Reece the nobody who was charged with beating up his girlfriend. If it had been Sevu Reece the All Black winger who had been charged, it might have been very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Connacht did the right thing with Reece. He and NZ would probably agree having said that.

Prediction. Townsend will be gone after the six nations either sacked or moved into a Director of Rugby role.

He has to be in uncomfortable territory having had an utterly shambolic world cup. The best thing that ever happened to Townsend's coaching career was Japan beating Ireland. Had Ireland come out on top of that Scotland would have had no excuses.

Edinburgh this weekend just couldn't overpower a very green and extremely inaccurate Munster. Munster shave a couple off the top of that massive missed tackle count and they win that game by a score.

And Glasgow were completely shown up by Leinster. They put down a marker for the first 30 minutes and then got absolutely bullied for the remainder. I was very surprised at full time, more at Glasgow than Leinster.

Townsend looks like he has a very out of form group of player to choose from, he has struggled to innovate Scotland's style of play since 2017 and they look like a team that's been found out and are struggling for confidence.

If you were to predict Scotland's six nations right now, it would not be pretty and they've a HORRIBLE run in. They start away to Ireland in Ireland's first game under Farrell. Scotland aren't winning that game. Then they host England who (if both teams play to current form) will utterly hose them. Then they've to travel to Italy and I reckon this is the game which will decide Townsend's fate, if the two opening games go as I would expect.

I reckon that last weekend will be a meeting of the Desperado's for Scotland and Wales. I have my doubts that Pivac will transition to International level and with Wales injuries and the form of the Welsh pro14 teams they aren't in a much better position than Scotland, albeit Pivac is in a very different position to Townsend.

That reminds me, I can't wait for the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd agree largely except with your assessment of how Edinburgh's win in Cork will be perceived. There's not a hope that any win for Edinburgh away to Munster will be viewed as anything but a significant success. The only person I've seen talk it down outside of Ireland is Cockerill.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd agree largely except with your assessment of how Edinburgh's win in Cork will be perceived. There's not a hope that any win for Edinburgh away to Munster will be viewed as anything but a significant success. The only person I've seen talk it down outside of Ireland is Cockerill.

No doubt that on paper it looks a good result, but that might just be one of the weakest Munster teams I've seen in a long time. Loads of talent and some good performances on the day - but quite a few players who have yet to be tested properly at this level and Edinburgh were still found largely wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Prediction. Townsend will be gone after the six nations either sacked or moved into a Director of Rugby role.

He has to be in uncomfortable territory having had an utterly shambolic world cup. The best thing that ever happened to Townsend's coaching career was Japan beating Ireland. Had Ireland come out on top of that Scotland would have had no excuses.

Edinburgh this weekend just couldn't overpower a very green and extremely inaccurate Munster. Munster shave a couple off the top of that massive missed tackle count and they win that game by a score.

And Glasgow were completely shown up by Leinster. They put down a marker for the first 30 minutes and then got absolutely bullied for the remainder. I was very surprised at full time, more at Glasgow than Leinster.

Townsend looks like he has a very out of form group of player to choose from, he has struggled to innovate Scotland's style of play since 2017 and they look like a team that's been found out and are struggling for confidence.

If you were to predict Scotland's six nations right now, it would not be pretty and they've a HORRIBLE run in. They start away to Ireland in Ireland's first game under Farrell. Scotland aren't winning that game. Then they host England who (if both teams play to current form) will utterly hose them. Then they've to travel to Italy and I reckon this is the game which will decide Townsend's fate, if the two opening games go as I would expect.

I reckon that last weekend will be a meeting of the Desperado's for Scotland and Wales. I have my doubts that Pivac will transition to International level and with Wales injuries and the form of the Welsh pro14 teams they aren't in a much better position than Scotland, albeit Pivac is in a very different position to Townsend.

That reminds me, I can't wait for the six nations.

That's possibly true. Except if they beat us and at least stay in with England for 50 minutes, he most likely would stay.
    The 1st couple of paragraphs would be on us, if J.S had stayed. Similar concept, shambolic year, ended like a whisper. The difference would be that the provinces are going well. Except that's nothing to do with J.S.
    It's remarkable, the similarities.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    That's possibly true. Except if they beat us and at least stay in with England for 50 minutes, he most likely would stay.
    The 1st couple of paragraphs would be on us, if J.S had stayed. Similar concept, shambolic year, ended like a whisper. The difference would be that the provinces are going well. Except that's nothing to do with J.S.

Townsend has won a Pro 14

Joe record at club and country is a tad but better

I don’t see any similarities. Townsend has delivered nothing since he took over Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dubinusa wrote: »

Except that Scotland have been pretty poor for all the seasons before, where as Ireland and J.S. Has pretty much the perfect season in 2018, something Scotland haven’t even come close to.

Nakawara sacked by Racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If it's true that Nakarawa didn't come back to Racing because he was helping his family build a house in Fiji then I salute him. What a champ. Money and fame ruins some people, but he's one of the best players in the world and seemingly put family first.

Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nakawara sacked by Racing.

so is he off to Sale then i wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement