Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Biologically speaking, is ATP the best way to go?

• 17-10-2018 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Based on my junior cert understanding of how ATP works, I was wondering if there wasn't a better way to go than ATP. All that oxidative stress ends up creating an awful lot of problems over time, not least for homo sapiens like ourselves. Is there a way to get around these issues? I read Dr. de Greys book on Ending Ageing and found it interesting that SENS was formed to investigate such issues.

So I suppose the question is if you had a choice, what would you use instead of ATP and how would it work?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

adenosine triphosphate is kinda handy as an energy store. It's used by all living organisms , even those that don't use oxygen, so if there was anything better it would probably be in use now.

It's also handy for RNA when it's de-energised by loosing some phosphate. And if you are a fan of life started in RNA world then it's grandfathered in.

To replace it you would also have to replace most of the other molecules that use it so no protein or DNA synthesis , metabolism would tricky too.

Advertisement