11-08-2012, 19:48   #136
Fuzz McG

I loved New X-Men. The X-Men comics had been floundering for years and Morrison came along and gave them a good, hard kick up the arse! That first arc E is for Extinction is brilliant. Clearing the boards, jettisoning crap continuity and going back to basics. It was great, fun comics. The stories and characters actually felt like they mattered again, for the first time in years.

The series did go off the rails a bit towards the end. I loved the character of Xorn and wished Morrison had stuck with him a bit more. I loved the fact that Xaviers became a school again and there were all these punk mutants hanging around and rebelling against the X-Men's way of doing things. Lots of ideas being thrown at the wall to see what sticks. It's a shame Marvel got cold feet and essentially retconned everything once Morrison left.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-08-2012, 14:15   #137
Turtyturd

Reading the Captain Britain story now to see if it was as bad as people had been making it out to be. To put it nicely it's a struggle, especially the opening couple of chapters but it picks up a bit once he gets back to his own reality. The fact that it was originally part of an anthology really hurts the story especially when the first page of every chapter is used to recap on the last chapter but it's also the only way I can get through it, knowing each chapter is only a few pages long.

Alan Davis' art is almost unrecognizable...he really has developed a nice style since this.

On the plus side it features Psylocke.
19-08-2012, 15:27   #138
Turtyturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtyturd View Post
Reading the Captain Britain story now to see if it was as bad as people had been making it out to be. To put it nicely it's a struggle, especially the opening couple of chapters but it picks up a bit once he gets back to his own reality. The fact that it was originally part of an anthology really hurts the story especially when the first page of every chapter is used to recap on the last chapter but it's also the only way I can get through it, knowing each chapter is only a few pages long.

Alan Davis' art is almost unrecognizable...he really has developed a nice style since this.

On the plus side it features Psylocke.
I actually enjoyed this a bit towards the end...although maybe that was just in comparison to the early part of it.

Still find Moore, alongside Morrison to be one of the most over hyped writers in comics.
21-08-2012, 12:42   #139
statomosh

i find neil gaimain as over rated as moore and morrison.a few good stories between them but not enough to warrant the reverance they are given.
Thanks from:
21-08-2012, 13:04   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by statomosh View Post
i find neil gaimain as over rated as moore and morrison.a few good stories between them but not enough to warrant the reverance they are given.
His 1602 work was magnificent
Advertisement
21-08-2012, 20:29   #141
statomosh

i did say they had a few good stories between them,i think that might be one of the few gaiman stories i liked(and its being reprinted in the graphic novel collection).
22-08-2012, 06:57   #142
Fuzz McG

Quote:
Originally Posted by statomosh View Post
I re-read Sandman last year. Initially I suspected it wouldn't hold up after all these years but it really, really does. Brilliant stuff and one that very few have lived up to.

As for Moore: From Hell. That is all.
22-08-2012, 11:00   #143
Pariah

OK, sorry to re-post the same question. But what issue is the series up to now? Had to cancel my subscription. Bought issue 16 - Avengers Disassembled. How far behind am I?
22-08-2012, 11:21   #144
oeb

Send a message via MSN to oeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
OK, sorry to re-post the same question. But what issue is the series up to now? Had to cancel my subscription. Bought issue 16 - Avengers Disassembled. How far behind am I?
Issue 18 is out this week.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-08-2012, 12:26   #145
Turtyturd

Just finished Secret War and it's yet another issue that suffers from poor writing. Visually it looks great, especially Wolverine and reminds me of the artwork in Slaine when I was growing up. But the writing really lets it down, there is little to no impact felt from the actions of Fury and the superheroes in Latveria, the overall story just feels rushed, and every character talks like a teenage girl in fast forward, with all of them sounding alike. Plus the ending just conveniently comes together with Spoiler: Angelina Jolie saving the day.

It's also annoying that the characters Bendis has a hard on for appear in everything he writes, Wolverine, Daredevil and Luke Cage in this case. Echo, Sentry etc in others.
Thanks from:
22-09-2012, 23:30   #146

I enjoyed the hell out of this weeks
19-10-2012, 22:25   #147

What have people thought of the last few weeks?

She hulk? Marvel Zombies?
20-10-2012, 14:24   #148
Turtyturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
What have people thought of the last few weeks?

She hulk? Marvel Zombies?
I am still on Avengers forever part II from when it was released, it really is a struggle.....even Carlos Pacheco cannot save it. It might even rank lower than Captain Britain.
Thanks from:
20-10-2012, 14:37   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtyturd View Post
I am still on Avengers forever part II from when it was released, it really is a struggle.....even Carlos Pacheco cannot save it. It might even rank lower than Captain Britain.
I enjoyed it tbh...was a bit of a head scratcher at first but then i read both again together and for me it works....cant be worse than Cap Britain or Disassembled
20-10-2012, 20:10   #150
Turtyturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
I enjoyed it tbh...was a bit of a head scratcher at first but then i read both again together and for me it works....cant be worse than Cap Britain or Disassembled
It could benefit from another read but right now the thought of that is very off putting. Any series that has to dedicate nearly two full issues to exposition is doing something wrong.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion