Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aqara D1 Wireless Switch

Options
  • 16-01-2021 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently started migrating to home assistant and mid house renovation.

Wondering if anyone has this switch and can confirm that the backplate can or cannot be fixed over a standard back box. Essentially I'm aiming for hidden physical switches as a master on /off to reset, replace smart bulbs but have the wireless switch in the traditional spot to control smart lights?

Essentially the back box and wiring is such that if WAF struggles I can revert to traditional switches. I had considered the D1 switches with actual switching but would lose dimming function for this, which is important in some areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nelbert wrote: »
    Hi All,

Recently started migrating to home assistant and mid house renovation.

Wondering if anyone has this switch and can confirm that the backplate can or cannot be fixed over a standard back box. Essentially I'm aiming for hidden physical switches as a master on /off to reset, replace smart bulbs but have the wireless switch in the traditional spot to control smart lights?

Essentially the back box and wiring is such that if WAF struggles I can revert to traditional switches. I had considered the D1 switches with actual switching but would lose dimming function for this, which is important in some areas.

I have the older aqara switches and they work just fine. The attached screws have different thread and don't fit, but one can use regular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

grogi wrote: »
    I have the older aqara switches and they work just fine. The attached screws have different thread and don't fit, but one can use regular ones.

It's more the size? Even if the back panel was solid I could just use a drill to bore holes if needed (prefer if they were there already obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That's how the backplate looks like with the newest wireless switches that I haven't installed yet (not D1 though).

539828.jpg

As you said, the backplate is solid, without any holes. However the mould clearly shows where they should be, so you can easily drill through if you want to screw them to the backbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

grogi wrote: »
    That's how the backplate looks like with the newest wireless switches that I haven't installed yet (not D1 though).

539828.jpg

As you said, the backplate is solid, without any holes. However the mould clearly shows where they should be, so you can easily drill through if you want to screw them to the backbox.

Excellent. Easily modded to be fixed to a backing box by the looks of that!

Advertisement