Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bizarre back pain during my routine runs/jogs?

Options
  • 13-01-2021 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

Firstly I hope that I have posted this thread correctly and in the right place and Happy 2021 to all the runners out there!

I am seeking advice/help/input surrounding this strange pain that has been annoying me since the beginning of the year.

What and where is the pain? The pain is faint and closely resembles an ache in the upper right region of my back. It is only on the right side and appears to be in the exact same location as I start each one of my runs. The pain/ache is not debilitating and I can cope with it fine while exercising.

When does the pain occur? The pain begins immediately as I begin the running workout. My runs typically last for 90 minutes on average. The pain/ache will be at its peak for the first 30 minutes and gradually lessen for the longer the run goes on.

Is the pain there after exercise? The pain immediately stops in the right region of my back once I have finished the run. However throughout the remainder of the day I will feel a distant/slight ache in different areas on the right hand side of my back (usually lower down) but no longer in the top right hand position.

Any other symptoms? I also had a bizarre tingling sensation at the very top of my right leg (top of the hamstring meeting the butt cheek. This was intermittent and usually happened when working from my desk at home. This seemed to have gradually went away over the last few days.

Other Notes: I work in IT so I'm stuck at a desk all day and I'm most certainly guilty of having a bad posture. I went to the doctor last weekend about this issue (pain top right of back). He believes it's a combination of bad posture / overdoing it with running and general fatigue. I was given Vimovo and will be on these for the next few days to see it it makes a difference.

In the meantime I've tried to go back on the treadmill walking (no running).

I usually run on muddy canal terrain (No path) in a pair of Speedcross 5's.

I love the shoes but I'm thinking that perhaps the lugs and terrain might be straining my back. I'm just wondering has anyone had any symptoms similar to mine? I am not an amazing runner but I need to get my miles in every week. I'm doing 17 - 20 KM's five days a week, maybe its too much?

I feel bad otherwise so hopefully its just a back strain. I was thinking of running on the roads instead this week Asphalt/Tarmac and changing over my shoes to see if it makes a difference.

Any feedback/input would be greatly appreciated

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Book a physio appointment and go from there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Hi Everyone

Firstly I hope that I have posted this thread correctly and in the right place and Happy 2021 to all the runners out there!

I am seeking advice/help/input surrounding this strange pain that has been annoying me since the beginning of the year.

What and where is the pain? The pain is faint and closely resembles an ache in the upper right region of my back. It is only on the right side and appears to be in the exact same location as I start each one of my runs. The pain/ache is not debilitating and I can cope with it fine while exercising.

When does the pain occur? The pain begins immediately as I begin the running workout. My runs typically last for 90 minutes on average. The pain/ache will be at its peak for the first 30 minutes and gradually lessen for the longer the run goes on.

Is the pain there after exercise? The pain immediately stops in the right region of my back once I have finished the run. However throughout the remainder of the day I will feel a distant/slight ache in different areas on the right hand side of my back (usually lower down) but no longer in the top right hand position.

Any other symptoms? I also had a bizarre tingling sensation at the very top of my right leg (top of the hamstring meeting the butt cheek. This was intermittent and usually happened when working from my desk at home. This seemed to have gradually went away over the last few days.

Other Notes: I work in IT so I'm stuck at a desk all day and I'm most certainly guilty of having a bad posture. I went to the doctor last weekend about this issue (pain top right of back). He believes it's a combination of bad posture / overdoing it with running and general fatigue. I was given Vimovo and will be on these for the next few days to see it it makes a difference.

In the meantime I've tried to go back on the treadmill walking (no running).

I usually run on muddy canal terrain (No path) in a pair of Speedcross 5's.

I love the shoes but I'm thinking that perhaps the lugs and terrain might be straining my back. I'm just wondering has anyone had any symptoms similar to mine? I am not an amazing runner but I need to get my miles in every week. I'm doing 17 - 20 KM's five days a week, maybe its too much?

I feel bad otherwise so hopefully its just a back strain. I was thinking of running on the roads instead this week Asphalt/Tarmac and changing over my shoes to see if it makes a difference.

Any feedback/input would be greatly appreciated

B

Not a physio so can't advise

But, it sounds like the sciatic nerve , I had similar pains - I do yoga stretching ( calfs, back, hips hamstrings) before training and even on days off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The upper leg pain sounds like sciatica alright. But a good physio is what you need. Medical advice is against the charter here on the forum.

Advertisement