Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish movies.

• 13-10-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking about how in the 90s there were an awful lot of Irish movies released that would be in the cinema for a week and then disappear. Sweety Barrett was one. Brendan Gleeson as the title character, it came right after the General. Odd film, he played a guy with learning difficulties who runs away from the circus (Brendan O Carroll has a cameo as the bullying ringmaster). A very young Andrew Scott plays a barman and Andy Serkis was in it looking like Rory from Glenroe sporting a curly mullet and denim jacket. Never see it shown on telly. Can anyone think of any other examples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Taffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Eat the Peach

and

I went Down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Grabbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lamb

early liam neeson movie where he plays a christian brother

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The most fertile man in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Lamb

early liam neeson movie where he plays a christian brother

I remember that being shown on RTE.. One grim film particularly the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Irish films are usually gash.

I mean total fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Hard Way.
    Starring Patrick mc Goohan and Lee van Cleef

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

The matchmaker starring janeane garofalo.

Neds wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The run of the country

Reefer And The Model. Hard to view now unless you come across a VHS copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

'The lilac bus' dunno if it's forgotten but used to be on RTE a lot back in the day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Playboys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Two pages in without this, standards are slipping around here lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is a strange short film

• Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Miracle - Neil Jordan film starring Donal McAnally and Beverley d'Angelo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The one where a fella turns into a rat

Think it’s called

Rat

• Advertisement

The one where a fella turns into a rat

Think it’s called

Rat

Yeah, I never saw that one but remember reading about it at the time. Another one of those ones that was the cinema for a really short while and then disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

looking like Rory from Glenroe sporting a curly mullet and denim jacket.

There was a law passed in 1982 that 70% of Irish film characters would be thus attired

This is going to be a list of absolutely dire films with the slight exception of Garage

As somebody has already noted, Irish films are a ball of ****e

Shrooms

Shrooms

Never mind irish, that can barely be classified as a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There was a recent Irish Times list https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/the-50-best-irish-films-ever-made-in-order-1.4238979 The 50 best Irish films ever made, in order

It left out the McDonagh brothers which I felt was extraordinary.

They also left out Neil Jordan's 'The Miracle' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJrl2MajPy4

It was very much a list made for the person who wrote the list but it shouldn't be titled 'best'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Flight of the Doves 1971. Long may it remain forgotten. Saw it at the cinema when it came out - thought it was dreadful but it gets some people all excited https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/flight-of-the-doves-deserves-to-be-a-national-institution-1.3827375

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Bambi wrote: »
    There was a law passed in 1982 that 70% of Irish film characters would be thus attired

This is going to be a list of absolutely dire films with the slight exception of Garage

As somebody has already noted, Irish films are a ball of ****e

There's a bleakness to Irish films in the 80s. The countryside is full of nothingness and people wishing their lives were better always on the brink of moving away....(ya I know still could be the case)

Was going to post The Run of the Country and see it has been got.

There were also two more I've seen on TV a couple of times and enjoyed, but forget the names.

One I think may be called About My Father were James Caan comes back to Ireland to learn about his father, flashback and its Aidan Quinn.

There was another pretty entertaining one where an assistant to an American presidential candidate is sent back to Ireland to trace his roots. She's played by an annoying American comedian lady with black hair, it's set in a seaside town and there's a love interest that's played by the Irish fella from braveheart.

Jesus Christ, what a post, I sound like my mother...

Ah there was a decent one called pilgrim hill. Nicely made about rural isolation and made on a shoestring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I think? Giz a smoke and giz yer jacket
    Love to see it again

Advertisement