Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

user1842 wrote: »
    Why cannot they get this information from open eir. Surely if you are paying to use their poles, they should tell you where the poles are.

I suppose one reason is that Open Eir are only using _some_ of the poles that NBI will be using. NBI are likely focusing on the poles that don't already have fibre strung over them, so they need to do their own assesment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Orebro wrote: »
    NBI response to queries on their Facebook page about when people can find out timelines:

thank you so much for reaching out to NBI on Facebook. National Broadband Ireland (NBI) have started the first design surveys for the National Broadband Plan (NBP). These are being undertaken in Cork, and will shortly commence in Galway, Limerick and Cavan. When surveys are completed in each deployment area, this will enable low level designs for fibre rollout there. We expect to have a high level phase one of the rollout plan on our website at the end of March.
    In Year One (2020) almost 300 Broadband Connection Points – for free public access to high speed internet – will be in place across the Intervention Area (IA).
    In Year Two, NBI will be working on the fibre build in every county across Ireland and up to 115,000 premises will be passed.
    By Year 4 over half of premises will be passed. The network build will take up to seven years as it will cover 96% of Ireland’s land mass and involves laying 100,000 km of fibre.

Anyone know what exactly they mean by "Phase one"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

I suppose one reason is that Open Eir are only using _some_ of the poles that NBI will be using. NBI are likely focusing on the poles that don't already have fibre strung over them, so they need to do their own assesment.

Yes but Open Eir are using the rest of the poles for their copper service. I dont understand why NBI need to do a pole survey. If Open Eir cannot provide this information to NBI then what the hell is going on at Open Eir.

NBI should just prioritise connections to houses that currently have an Open Eir copper line (which I would think is the majority of houses). Basically start hanging the fibre on the poles now.

My worry is that NBI is now doing Open Eir's job and identifying poles that need to be replaced and thus the tax payer is paying to rebuild Open Eir's private network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

user1842 wrote:
    Yes but Open Eir are using the rest of the poles for their copper service. I dont understand why NBI need to do a pole survey. If Open Eir cannot provide this information to NBI then what the hell is going on at Open Eir.

I'd say it's to map out the route the fiber will take rather than the condition of poles ect although open eir should have GIS spacial data for this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In my local exchange area open eir mapped all poles and replaced as necessary a few years ago both in the 300k and intervention areas, similar in neighbouring areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Mortelaro wrote: »
    This contract will be paused next week when FF get back in
    There will be a review and there will be a long committee hearing on the subject
    NBI can sue,but that will take years

not gonna happen . its goi g ahead whoever decides to run country

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well obviously I hope ye are right but Tim as minister and Soc Dems kicking up about Dennis O'Brien having the sub contracts
    I would be concerned

no need its always gonna go ahead now

clohamon wrote: »
    It would be great if one or some of the (W)ISPs would publish the letter of rejection they got from the Department.

but i think future proof allies all appeals .in that article it compares itself to the best wireless broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

KN out in Rochestown, Cork again today. This time with cable and iPads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Parents just had a visit from the NBI lads doing their survey in around the Ballygarvan area in Cork. They said they should have it in about 18 months or so. My parents put me down for a connection also as I am planning to build a house there this year finished in 18 months time :D:D:D

I was one of the first people on here to get FTTH 4 or 5 years ago and had been enjoying 1Gbs since then, but I sold my house to build my new one and now my rented house has only 20-30mbs at best (in the middle of cork city:mad:) It was a big worry for me moving to the country where the checkers were saying i could only get max 10mb:eek::eek::eek:

I will rest easy tonight:p

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Parents just had a visit from the NBI lads doing their survey in around the Ballygarvan area in Cork. They said they should have it in about 18 months or so. My parents put me down for a connection also as I am planning to build a house there this year finished in 18 months time :D:D:D

I was one of the first people on here to get FTTH 4 or 5 years ago and had been enjoying 1Gbs since then, but I sold my house to build my new one and now my rented house has only 20-30mbs at best (in the middle of cork city:mad:) It was a big worry for me moving to the country where the checkers were saying i could only get max 10mb:eek::eek::eek:

I will rest easy tonight:p
    damn im so glad your going to get ftth , only getting 20,30 mbs how do you cope. im getting 2 mbs max so my heart goes out to you. although 18 months from survey to fruition seems a worrying long time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

allanpkr wrote:
    damn im so glad your going to get ftth , only getting 20,30 mbs how do you cope. im getting 2 mbs max so my heart goes out to you. although 18 months from survey to fruition seems a worrying long time ?

I'd say it's an up to 18 months so people dont start giving out saying that NBI said I'd have broadband in two months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

There was a EIR van outside my parents house today. The guy told my father that they will bring fibre broadband to my parents house in the next two months.

My parents house is in the NBP amber area and is 2km (20 houses away at the end of a ribbon development) from the nearest Eir rural fibre house.

Some of that 2km stretch is ducted and the houses are not close together. Most of the poles would need to be replaced also.

Seems that EIR may encroach well into the amber area, in some locations.

Not that im complaining, actually my parents are delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

user1842 wrote: »
    There was a EIR van outside my parents house today. The guy told my father that they will bring fibre broadband to my parents house in the next two months.

My parents house is in the NBP amber area and is 2km (20 houses away at the end of a ribbon development) from the nearest Eir rural fibre house.

Some of that 2km stretch is ducted and the houses are not close together. Most of the poles would need to be replaced also.

Seems that EIR may encroach well into the amber area, in some locations.

Not that im complaining, actually my parents are delighted.

Do mind the man in the van heard that where i live too that was 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/access-to-high-speed-broadband-can-remove-the-digital-divide-39033429.html
    Mr Shakespeare outlined that the core network exchanges in Wicklow will be Blessington and Kilcoole with surveying of townlands to get under way later this year.
    Mr Shakespeare said that the plan was to re-use existing ESB poles to deliver broadband and while there may be exceptions, there were no major plans to cut down trees. As the network expanded, towns and villages would be connected to the service during the seven year project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

mistake?

Up to 150 high-speed internet hubs envisaged under the National Broadband Plan (NBP) will be deployed within the next three to nine months.

National Broadband Ireland (NBI), the company rolling out the project, said it will have half the proposed 300 “broadband connection points”, where the public can get free high-speed internet access, deployed by the end of this year.

NBI said up to 10,000 homes will be passed by the network by the end of 2020, while it will have “detailed design plans” for additional 108,000, equating to 20 per cent of 540,000 households covered by the project.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/up-to-150-high-speed-internet-hubs-to-be-deployed-by-end-of-year-1.4204038

Delays to rural broadband plan 'too early to predict'

National Broadband Ireland, the company running the National Broadband Plan, does not yet foresee substantial delays in the rollout of rural broadband under the scheme, senior executives say. The lockdown of movement and some forms of transportation has raised fears that advanced planning and 'on-the-ground' activity related to the 500,000-premise rollout may be curtailed.

However, company executives note that it is too early to say if current plans will be shifted.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/delays-to-rural-broadband-plan-too-early-to-predict-39056745.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

The NBI vans were down outside my house this morning checking out my vault and asking how big the ducting up to my house is, said it'll be a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

mp3guy wrote: »
    The NBI vans were down outside my house this morning checking out my vault and asking how big the ducting up to my house is, said it'll be a few months.

County?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive no idea where the ducting is for my house. I do know the previous owner had numerous issues with Eircom and eventually nearly a legal battle for refunds as the speeds issued where 500kb or so. so quite poor. Meanwhile ive been on Wireless since we moved in.

What i want to know is I will be redoing the driveway very soon. So plan is to re-duct from the gate back up to house. There is an existing Eircom Pole outside the gate just to the left of that entrance.

Is that where i should be aiming for running ducting too or is there other requirements. Obviously circumference, depth and access lengths will be adhered to.

County?

Cork, near Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

mp3guy wrote: »
    Cork, near Carrigaline.

I'm west of carrigaline within the 30km radius but not sure if I'll be on the initial roll out. Could come from the west of me too. Are they kn or nbi vans/people

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'm west of carrigaline within the 30km radius but not sure if I'll be on the initial roll out. Could come from the west of me too. Are they kn or nbi vans/people

4site and NBI branded vans I've seen.

Within Fingal, Skerries is to be the first to be surveyed, which will take place in summer 2020. Once detailed design work has been carried out, work will then commence in the town, with every premises benefiting from a broadband solution. A survey of Lusk is due to commence in 2021.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/high-speed-broadband-promised-across-fingal-39048702.html

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Sorry kinda off topic but is anyone else here using Aptus and if so how are they finding it for the last week

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Gary kk wrote: »
    Sorry kinda off topic but is anyone else here using Aptus and if so how are they finding it for the last week

****e. But I'm assuming that's across the board with all wisps. Haven't even bothered complaining. People working from home and kids off is crippling the service

Gary kk wrote: »
    Sorry kinda off topic but is anyone else here using crAptus and if so how are they finding it for the last week

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I wonder how closely the Govt will be examining the Force majeure clause in this for when the Covid crisis ends?

Advertisement