Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

mad muffin wrote: »
    I reported a video dump

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110823287&postcount=740

I’d like for it to be actioned please. Thanks.

Does the user do so on a constant basis? If a person does something regularly that's a bigger issue and you have posted multiple of videos in single posts. Capaill doesn't have a long history of doing so and it's one in a blue moon when they post videos.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can’t you read? It’s end of discussion.
    Seriously? That is the sort of "commentary" you are resorting to now.
    I reported a video dump

No action required. However you will be receiving a separate note from me about your behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks.

For proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see don't quote pics or videos is already in the charter ,is this an actual rule or just friendly request

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gatling wrote: »
    I see don't quote pics or videos is already in the charter ,is this an actual rule or just friendly request

From the Charter:
    dudara wrote: »
    It would be greatly appreciated if posters did not quote images or videos when replying to other posters.

This would greatly help the poor hamsters as well as avoiding unnecessary repetition of an image or video across posts.

Mods reserve the right to edit posts to removed quoted videos or pictures.

So no, not a hard & fast rule, but really quoting should be unnecessary when posters can simply delete from the quote and anyone reading the follow-up post can then click on the link to the quoted post. Otherwise thread get clogged up with multiple copies of the same image or video

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I reported a video dump

You don't get the concept of signal to noise then. So let me be clear.
    1. You constantly post youtube video after youtube video (quote often multiple per post) in lieu of actual discussion.
    2. The forum mods (myself included) have asked you repeatedly to cut it out. Nobody's stifled your point of view, you're not one of the oppressed, so don't worry.
    3. You insist instead of arguing some spurious argument that you are "conversing', it's your right to post as you please, blah blah blah.

So let's keep it simple. You're welcome to post on CA/IMHO on whatever topic you please, within the bounds of the charter. If you post any more youtube dumps, I'm going to continue snipping them from your posts, or one of the mods will get tired of it and card you. If you continue to engage in whataboutery and muppetry here in feedback, I'll remove your access to it until you learn how to use it properly. It's not feedback, the 'mai right to youtube' rhetoric is getting tiring, and I'm not wasting anybody else's time on it.

So explain something to me.

How is this person yellow carded for posting a famous quote

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110832799&postcount=1315

And this person then quoting it and insulting them left to without a warning?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110832835&postcount=1316

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So explain something to me.

How is this person yellow carded for posting a famous quote

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110832799&postcount=1315

And this person then quoting it and insulting them left to without a warning?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110832835&postcount=1316

the second poster was stating a fact though. he wasn't insulting the poster he replied to.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

It's for a user to dispute their card if they wish. We will not be going into details here as at this stage as it could be prejudicial to any appeal

the second poster was stating a fact though. he wasn't insulting the poster he replied to.

Yeah.its a back handed insult. It’s weaseling and it’s plain to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah.its a back handed insult. It’s weaseling and it’s plain to see.

No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,124 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why are posting it out of context?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110822073&postcount=479

Because it conveys exactly my earlier position that was quoted and refuted. I gave irrefutable evidence. Can’t get more irrefutable than that video. Now can you. There is now desire for discussion. There is just a desire to prove what I’m saying is false. I use the videos as irrefutable evidence. Notice they don’t continue the discussion after that just report my video. Censoring me because they can’t show my position is wrong.

So again. BULL****.
    The irony of someone who spams youtube and random article links without comment complaining to anyone else about the importance of context...

Overheal wrote: »
    The irony of someone who spams youtube and random article links without comment complaining to anyone else about the importance of context...

Quick. I think there’s a thread you need to post a pic of a dog whistle in…

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@mad muffin - that’s enough.you had a DR thread on this matter which you declined to persue.

This thread is for Feedback. Unless you have some valid feedback to share, please don’t post.

And before you say anything, this is not stifling or censoring you. It’s asking you to post on topic.

dudara

A mod warning has been issued on a thread about speculating about the ethnicity of a criminal... Thing is, how did the thread manage to run for 40 pages before there was any crack down? It genuinely seems like the very worst of viewpoints are given free reign.

• batgoat wrote: »
    A mod warning has been issued on a thread about speculating about the ethnicity of a criminal... Thing is, how did the thread manage to run for 40 pages before there was any crack down? It genuinely seems like the very worst of viewpoints are given free reign.

alternate view is you got what you wanted?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That thread isn't even about the girls anymore. It's turned into an immigrant/travelled/asylum seeker bashing sh*tshow.

However, mods are happy to keep it open. It's an absolute joke.

Faugheen wrote: »
    That thread isn't even about the girls anymore. It's turned into an immigrant/travelled/asylum seeker bashing sh*tshow.

However, mods are happy to keep it open. It's an absolute joke.
    Unfortunately it's been pretty much about the perpetrators throughout

Just on the point of moderation though, I know I was firefighting when the thread started. I also know there have been numerous cards and bans (forum and site) issued, various in-thread warnings given, and around 150 posts deleted. I can assure you I am not "happy" to keep it open. It has taken up a hell of a lot of my time over the past few days and I would certainly like to avoid the hassle if I could

While it's still newsworthy I would prefer discussion remaining in that thread where it's easier to keep an eye on things. If we close that one we'll no doubt get posters trying to drag it into other threads

As it is though there are a number of posters who are on final warnings, and will find themselves either banned from the forum and/or the site if they continue to spout racist or xenophobic crap, or indeed try and bring religion into it.

I know some have been trying to tread a fine line, but you may also note a number of the worst "culprits" are no longer posting in the thread. I am sure more will follow the way the thread has gone and continues to go. I'm also hoping some of the relevant posters read this as we are very serious over stopping some of their extremist behaviour and hopefully they will rein things in a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm going to have to say it's the same people again. Post reported but the quality of posting in this forum is going downhill despite repeated warnings to the same effect.
    Haha haha.

Hahahahahahaaa

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh sorry. I need to catch my breath.

Hahahahahhaaaaaa

Haaaaaaassahahahaaaaaaa

Oh god. Oh. Oh.

Hahahhahahaaaaaaaaa hahahahaaaaa

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm going to have to say it's the same people again. Post reported but the quality of posting in this forum is going downhill despite repeated warnings to the same effect.

You reported it at 15:01. I threadbanned the poster at 15:11, just before I spotted this post. What kind of turnaround times are you expecting exactly?

• Advertisement

Haha. Your a funny fellow. Why didn’t you go put up the half dozen posts before that of what you had posted?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's been pretty much about the perpetrators throughout

Just on the point of moderation though, I know I was firefighting when the thread started. I also know there have been numerous cards and bans (forum and site) issued, various in-thread warnings given, and around 150 posts deleted. I can assure you I am not "happy" to keep it open. It has taken up a hell of a lot of my time over the past few days and I would certainly like to avoid the hassle if I could

While it's still newsworthy I would prefer discussion remaining in that thread where it's easier to keep an eye on things. If we close that one we'll no doubt get posters trying to drag it into other threads

As it is though there are a number of posters who are on final warnings, and will find themselves either banned from the forum and/or the site if they continue to spout racist or xenophobic crap, or indeed try and bring religion into it.

I know some have been trying to tread a fine line, but you may also note a number of the worst "culprits" are no longer posting in the thread. I am sure more will follow the way the thread has gone and continues to go. I'm also hoping some of the relevant posters read this as we are very serious over stopping some of their extremist behaviour and hopefully they will rein things in a bit

This is nice and all but the thread is in no way on topic anymore. It's people talking about immigrants and travellers and arguing over how it may or may not have been them.

It's another thread for the dogwhistlers to spew their ****e and it's the same people over and over again.

You can claim you're not happy to leave it open, but there's been little to stop the thread becoming the cesspit that it is, and you've still left it open.

mike_ie wrote: »
    You reported it at 15:01. I threadbanned the poster at 15:11, just before I spotted this post. What kind of turnaround times are you expecting exactly?

I'm not complaining about the modding. I'm complaining about posters ignoring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Seems like the CA Forum is just going to take a little time to balance out. It does seem to be weeding out the worst of them bit by bit.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Seems like the CA Forum is just going to take a little time to balance out. It does seem to be weeding out the worst of them bit by bit.

^^This, pretty much. I appreciate that people are frustrated at certain posters, and are looking for an instant fix, but it's not going to work like that - not if we do it fairly at least. It takes time for people to work their way through the warning > infraction > ban system - some people wind their necks in pretty quickly, others take a little longer to see sense. The serial offenders do finally get to that point though where they have exhausted all chances and end up banned for the forum, or breaching probation and banned from the site entirely. It may not always seem that way from the outside, but take my word for it, we have removed quite a few posters already, with others walking a fine line.

mike_ie wrote: »
    ^^This, pretty much. I appreciate that people are frustrated at certain posters, and are looking for an instant fix, but it's not going to work like that - not if we do it fairly at least. It takes time for people to work their way through the warning > infraction > ban system - some people wind their necks in pretty quickly, others take a little longer to see sense. The serial offenders do finally get to that point though where they have exhausted all chances and end up banned for the forum, or breaching probation and banned from the site entirely. It may not always seem that way from the outside, but take my word for it, we have removed quite a few posters already, with others walking a fine line.

I do appreciate that there's effort being made but it does seem like posters have been given significant leeway which includes them ignoring mod warnings repeatedly. I genuinely can't fathom how the assault thread managed to amass so many posts. And threads that are absolute dog whistles seem more regular or just more obvious than before.

I am glad to see bans are flowing through but I'm not really sure if that fully deals with how these threads are allowed to freely run for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

batgoat wrote: »
    I am glad to see bans are flowing through but I'm not really sure if that fully deals with how these threads are allowed to freely run for so long.

What else would you like done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

I think the new forum is going well, modding in particular has been good in my opinion.

I don't think AH will survive, or at least the traffic will drop so much that'll it'll be like any of the other hundreds that don't have much happening, but considering how it was going before, that's not such a bad thing.

I wouldn't want to be a mod. Work is hard enough without doing it for free. I can appreciate it's a lot of work, especially for a voluntary job. I think the lack of action is often bandwidth in terms of time, rather than lack of will. I wasn't having a go.

I do think this forum is unique in that there's a lot of posters who've been here for yonks that seem to change their style when they post here. Some of it feels more like an outraged Twitter feed than Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I wouldn't want to be a mod. Work is hard enough without doing it for free. I can appreciate it's a lot of work, especially for a voluntary job. I think the lack of action is often bandwidth in terms of time, rather than lack of will. I wasn't having a go.

I do think this forum is unique in that there's a lot of posters who've been here for yonks that seem to change their style when they post here. Some of it feels more like an outraged Twitter feed than Boards.

Damned if they do, Damned if they don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement