Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EPH Ember

• 05-01-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I've had three people out to quote for a boiler upgrade and when I mention smart thermostats and that I am leaning towards the Hive 2, a couple of them have suggested that the EPH Ember was the best solution

Anyone have any words of wisdom

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Never hear of it, seems to be a small British company. Not much info, doesn't seem to be well integrated with any other smart home systems.

I suspect the installers are getting a kick back to recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

bk wrote: »
    I suspect the installers are getting a kick back to recommend it.

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

They're an Irish company, based in Cork: http://www.ephcontrols.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Blacknight wrote: »
    They're an Irish company, based in Cork: http://www.ephcontrols.com/

They need to do some work on their presentation... I'd rather spend the extra on a nest than have that in my home...

There's allot of talented designers in Ireland that could do with the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭LeBash

EPH deal through the trade. Chances are these guys have access to it easier and have probably worked with it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Actually quite familiar with the company, deal with them for motorised valves, zone controls, etc. Boss put the ember stuff in his house during a refurb recently, it's okay, nothing to write home about, only app control so no integration (yet) with Alexa/GHome. To my mind the alternatives represent better value, i could get the ember stuff off them at slightly over cost through work but i'd be more inclined to go with an alternative myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Actually quite familiar with the company, deal with them for motorised valves, zone controls, etc. Boss put the ember stuff in his house during a refurb recently, it's okay, nothing to write home about, only app control so no integration (yet) with Alexa/GHome. To my mind the alternatives represent better value, i could get the ember stuff off them at slightly over cost through work but i'd be more inclined to go with an alternative myself.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

ibFoxer - Sorry to bump old thread.
    For Ember, do you simply purchase ember Gateway plus new thermostats for each zone (I've 3 zones: up, down and hot water, plumbing redone in 2011)?

How about existing wired Channel programmer and Thermostats, do they all have to be replaced with eph kit?

Any idea of cost?

arikv wrote: »
    ibFoxer - Sorry to bump old thread.
    For Ember, do you simply purchase ember Gateway plus new thermostats for each zone (I've 3 zones: up, down and hot water, plumbing redone in 2011)?

How about existing wired Channel programmer and Thermostats, do they all have to be replaced with eph kit?

Any idea of cost?

Only seeing this now- short answer is i'm not certain, but i can certainly find out and report back, i'll fire an email to the company tomorrow and see what they say.

Only seeing this now- short answer is i'm not certain, but i can certainly find out and report back, i'll fire an email to the company tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks,
    As far as I can see in their set up guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcIs3GjxZ5c
    and their catalouge on Pages 17+22 - http://www.ephcontrols.com/contentfiles/07182016_AW1031_EPHControlsCatalogue_Email.pdf

I'll need a pack containing:
    1 x Gateway - (PRODUCT CODE GW01)
    1 x A PROGRAMMER (PRODUCT CODE CWP3E) - R37-RF
    2 x Room thermostat - RFR
    1 x Cylinder thermostat - RFC

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    As far as I can see in their set up guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcIs3GjxZ5c
    and their catalouge on Pages 17+22 - http://www.ephcontrols.com/contentfiles/07182016_AW1031_EPHControlsCatalogue_Email.pdf

I'll need a pack containing:
    1 x Gateway - (PRODUCT CODE GW01)
    1 x A PROGRAMMER (PRODUCT CODE CWP3E) - R37-RF
    2 x Room thermostat - RFR
    1 x Cylinder thermostat - RFC

Cool, i'll see if i can get a price on them too, give you an idea at least.

Cool, i'll see if i can get a price on them too, give you an idea at least.

Thanks, would appreciate if you can get pricing for EPH Ember for 2 heating zones plus Hot Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Did you get a price in the end?

I did - it's

GW01 €190
    CWP3E €480- pack including CLOCK, 2 x RFR & 1 x RFC

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I did - it's

GW01 €190
    Thanks. If I have a wired 3 zone system with two room stats and one cylinder stat does the while lot need to be replaced with RF? Its only 15 months old. I really should have shelled out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

Did you get a price in the end?

the price is not that expensive, just got a set from shop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tandcapply

flyandrain wrote: »
    the price is not that expensive, just got a set from shop. :D
    What shop and how much did it cost you please?

tandcapply wrote: »
    What shop and how much did it cost you please?
    I've got the whole kit from a shop at Rialto, Very easy to replace them, and works very well, i do not think i am allowed to post the shop information, let me know if u need those the shop name and price. :D

WechatIMG84.jpeg

WechatIMG83.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dickydogg

That’s exactly what I’m looking for. How much was the pack?

Dickydogg wrote: »
    That’s exactly what I’m looking for. How much was the pack?

245 plus+VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I did - it's

GW01 €190
    I just ordered the GW01 from Heiton Buckley at €100 + VAT (€123 total). Just got the controls upgraded but am adding the Ember functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

I've got the whole kit from a shop at Rialto, Very easy to replace them, and works very well, i do not think i am allowed to post the shop information, let me know if u need those the shop name and price. :D

WechatIMG84.jpeg

WechatIMG83.jpeg

Could you pm me the shop name

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

WechatIMG84.jpeg

WechatIMG83.jpeg

how are you finding the ember ?

john_doe. wrote: »
    how are you finding the ember ?

i think it is a great kit, i used that a lot for last a few days, :) no issues so far

One thing about it though. You can't set different temps at different times of the day. You can set a temp and either have it maintain that temp all day or only maintain it during certain times, but you can only set one temp per zone. No way of having a lower temp during the night unless you have that zone off completely for example.

Pique wrote: »
    One thing about it though. You can't set different temps at different times of the day. You can set a temp and either have it maintain that temp all day or only maintain it during certain times, but you can only set one temp per zone. No way of having a lower temp during the night unless you have that zone off completely for example.

Thanks , its probably a more basic level than nest etc but that said may be suited to people here. For someone who wants to have a programmable timer and remote control it seems quite good. Also given that I've seen it recommended by plumbers it may be easier to get support for afterward.

I upgraded from a single zone Netatmo to a 3 zone EPH setup and I'm very happy. I reckon the shortcoming regarding multiple temps could easily be resolved with an app update without any hardware changes.

The app is very clear and fairly understandable, but when you change settings, you need to save them in the 'sub window' before you OK them in the main window to return to the home screen (if that makes sense). Simply backing out of a window doesn't automatically save, nor does it prompt you to save.

The time clock functionality plus the temp driven option is nice, and the combo is a very nice option. For example, if you have upstairs set to be at 17C between 2200-0600 then the system will only read the temp during those times and only turn on the heating if the temp is below 17C.

I like it, and it's an Irish company so it's nice to support indigenous companies. My plumber was putting it in on his own behalf so it seems like something most of them are comfortable with. Pity the gateway for WiFi isn't included in the control panel as you need an extra box plugged into the wall for it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

If you use home-assistant the next version will include support for changing the temperature of a heating zone. So you could use that to change the target temperature based on time of day / status of you being home

Pique wrote: »
    I upgraded from a single zone Netatmo to a 3 zone EPH setup and I'm very happy. I reckon the shortcoming regarding multiple temps could easily be resolved with an app update without any hardware changes.

The app is very clear and fairly understandable, but when you change settings, you need to save them in the 'sub window' before you OK them in the main window to return to the home screen (if that makes sense). Simply backing out of a window doesn't automatically save, nor does it prompt you to save.

The time clock functionality plus the temp driven option is nice, and the combo is a very nice option. For example, if you have upstairs set to be at 17C between 2200-0600 then the system will only read the temp during those times and only turn on the heating if the temp is below 17C.

I like it, and it's an Irish company so it's nice to support indigenous companies. My plumber was putting it in on his own behalf so it seems like something most of them are comfortable with. Pity the gateway for WiFi isn't included in the control panel as you need an extra box plugged into the wall for it currently.

Thanks interesting article here from back in 2016 where they were looking at adding smart TRVs but looks like it didn't happen .
    It's interesting product and Irish.
    In between Nest, Honeywell Evo and Tado at moment.
    Might be better getting something that's Irish and easier to find support for.

http://plumbingmag.com/ephember/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

john_doe. wrote: »
    Thanks interesting article here from back in 2016 where they were looking at adding smart TRVs but looks like it didn't happen .
    It's interesting product and Irish.
    In between Nest, Honeywell Evo and Tado at moment.
    Might be better getting something that's Irish and easier to find support for.

http://plumbingmag.com/ephember/

Just to note they have no integration with Google home or Amazon echo. I emailed asking if it is something they are adding but got this reply:

"This is something we will be looking at when we finish developing the system,
    We have 3 versions in our plan,
    1 is to work with our timeclocks,
    2 is to work with programmable thermostats, (currently working on this)
    3 is to work with radiator controllers,

When all are completed we will be looking at ways to improve the app and integrate it with other apps perhaps to add value to the products,
    Currently there isn't a lot of people with these devices in their homes so spending a large sum to add this function isn't feasible but over the next year or two this should change.

It would be listed in Updates for the app if this functionality becomes available"

Seems a strange answer, think there is quite a few people with them in their homes now.

I tried setting up home assistant for integration but couldn't get it working, too much effort.

Advertisement