Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sim card in hkc alarm

• 15-11-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Looking for some advise I've been told by Vodafone that I have to replace my sim with a new number as I have not put credit in it for so long.just wondering if it's a big job and do I need to re program the numbers it texts or are they stored on the dialler.will I need a security company to do this or will I able to do it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Milltown17 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Looking for some advise I've been told by Vodafone that I have to replace my sim with a new number as I have not put credit in it for so long.just wondering if it's a big job and do I need to re program the numbers it texts or are they stored on the dialler.will I need a security company to do this or will I able to do it myself.

You will need the engineer code as you will need to enter pin number for new sim , if you dont have it its best to call out the company that installed it . You can buy the sim yourself to cut down cost . Meteor works well with hkc sims . Tell them its for an alarm and you need it activated - saves a bit of hassle .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i was just about to make a post on this and if you dont mind ill piggyback on this thread,

whats the best sim for a HKC system (the GSMQ Dialler), meteor i take it from above? how often does it need topping up and what do i need to do when i order one?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Cyrus wrote: »
    i was just about to make a post on this and if you dont mind ill piggyback on this thread,

whats the best sim for a HKC system (the GSMQ Dialler), meteor i take it from above? how often does it need topping up and what do i need to do when i order one?

cheers

Needs to be toped up before 6 months passes since ladt top up - tell them you need it activated as its for an alarm system . Meteor is good

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Needs to be toped up before 6 months passes since ladt top up - tell them you need it activated as its for an alarm system . Meteor is good

Currently looking into the same thing, as I'm going to be installing a GSM-Q soon. I thought it was 6 months, but just looked on Meteor and they say 150 days. They charge 15c per text too I think. Anybody know if that is correct?

Vodafone appear to charge 13c per text if not signed up to an offer, according to here, plus they say credit is valid for 6 months.

Am I right that they are the only two networks in Ireland that sim cards will still support 2G?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Piggybacking on this.

Currently using an eir sim, but if not topped up within 90 days the number is barred (so cant set alarm from phone etc.)

Annoying because i have 16e on sim and dont want to add another 5e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stinky45

sheriff2 wrote: »
    Piggybacking on this.

Currently using an eir sim, but if not topped up within 90 days the number is barred (so cant set alarm from phone etc.)

Annoying because i have 16e on sim and dont want to add another 5e

I have €16x3=€48 built up on my Vodafone sim I had the sim difficulty just the once and got the remedy on here but I diligently top it up every 5mths and 2 weeks so as not to fall foul. It is what it is...a nuisance but one worth putting up with for the flexibility. That said if a better option turns up I too will consider my options. Not too long ago the min top up was €10 at least it's down now to €5.

Stinky45 wrote: »
    I have €16x3=€48 built up on my Vodafone sim I had the sim difficulty just the once and got the remedy on here but I diligently top it up every 5mths and 2 weeks so as not to fall foul. It is what it is...a nuisance but one worth putting up with for the flexibility. That said if a better option turns up I too will consider my options. Not too long ago the min top up was €10 at least it's down now to €5.

So what’s the current best sim and how often does it need topping up ? I am paying 65 annually for a sim from the installer

My experience is outlined in my response €5 each 6mths....the important thing is also discussed at length and that is DO NOT FORGET to top it up otherwise it becomes useless. So as long as your Sim works and remains Topped-UP they're all probably BEST. Vodafone at €10 for 12mths even though I don't use the credit for me is a small price to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

With eir - €5 every 90 days, so works out about 20e a year.

Time to change to vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

So what’s the current best sim and how often does it need topping up ? I am paying 65 annually for a sim from the installer

If this is for app control then you cant change the sim.
    If its just a sim he provided then you can use your own sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has anyone tried one of these?
    Thinking of getting one as a backup for my Ajax alarm.
    It apparently will automatically select the best network if an alarm is triggered so if Vodafone isn't available, it will try three or eir or whatever until it issues the data.
    I've no idea how much data is used per month but if its mostly using WiFi, I'm sure this is good enough for emergencies?

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/POC-Radio-SIM-M2M-12-Months-2G-3G-4G-100MB-Per-Month-EUROPE-EU-/362910104047?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

altor wrote: »
    If this is for app control then you cant change the sim.
    If its just a sim he provided then you can use your own sim.

thanks, it is for app control, why cant i change it then?

thanks, it is for app control, why cant i change it then?

The sims are for the HKC service they provide to use the app to use with the GSM/SC.
    Its a world sim also so roams to the best network.

You would need a GSM/Q to use your own sim card.
    These type units are to be phased out to to drop in demand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sorry to bump this again but glad someone has been discussing this recently.

I need to arrange a brand new install on a HKC for a family member and was wondering can you still opt to use your own sim card if the alarm triggers to dial out or is the only option on new installs to go with HKCs own world sim? I'm aware that you need to top them up etc and how problematic that can be if you forget but just want to know if it's still an option.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this again but glad someone has been discussing this recently.

I need to arrange a brand new install on a HKC for a family member and was wondering can you still opt to use your own sim card if the alarm triggers to dial out or is the only option on new installs to go with HKCs own world sim? I'm aware that you need to top them up etc and how problematic that can be if you forget but just want to know if it's still an option.

The GSM/Q is been fazed out so I would not be investing in it.

altor wrote: »
    The GSM/Q is been fazed out so I would not be investing in it.

Hi Altor

Just curious about your comment...I understand things move on and things change and I understand your point re:GSM/Q

My query is that I have a GSM/Q and indeed years ago I believe you helped me out with advice on same. My query is would I now want to consider changing out the GSM/Q for something more up to date? I should add it works perfectly texting for every fault or power interruption to me and members of my family.

Thanks in advance

Stinky45 wrote: »
    Hi Altor

Just curious about your comment...I understand things move on and things change and I understand your point re:GSM/Q

My query is that I have a GSM/Q and indeed years ago I believe you helped me out with advice on same. My query is would I now want to consider changing out the GSM/Q for something more up to date? I should add it works perfectly texting for every fault or power interruption to me and members of my family.

Thanks in advance

From my own perspective I wouldn't advise a customer to install one, as the device is been fazed out, made obsolete.

The reason for this is the GSM/WIFI is more popular. It also offers more information when used with an app. You can get texts from this device also which is good for people with older phones who dont want the app.

Downside of course is the payment per month but if utilizing the dual path Its good value IMO.

If you are happy with the GSM/Q and it is working why change.
    If you keep the sim card topped up you should be fine with it working away.

I installed a gsmq I bought from adverts last night.
    Very simple to install and set up.
    Plug it into the panel,go to eng mode and enable it,add your numbers and usernames and done.
    Tried it with my own eir sim card and no problems.
    Ordered a vodafone sim for it today.

Just a quick update on this.
    Can confirm the vodaphone sim card works perfectly with the GSM-Q module.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

Can any of the alarm installers recommend what payg sim they are installing in HKC (or similar) alarms currently?
    Or what they see their customers using?

I'm installing a GSM power outage monitor and of course the cost/light-use calculation is exactly the same, so wondered if you could advise.
    (would be looking at primarily one that allows the longest period between credit top-ups; I looked at 1pmobile.com and even though this operates from the UK it was cheaper than any in IE even if permanently working in roaming mode)

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Advertisement

jaydev wrote: »
    Can any of the alarm installers recommend what payg sim they are installing in HKC (or similar) alarms currently?
    Or what they see their customers using?

I'm installing a GSM power outage monitor and of course the cost/light-use calculation is exactly the same, so wondered if you could advise.
    (would be looking at primarily one that allows the longest period between credit top-ups; I looked at 1pmobile.com and even though this operates from the UK it was cheaper than any in IE even if permanently working in roaming mode)

Thanks for any suggestions.

HKC now provide their own unit "gsm/wifi", the GSM/Q is now obsolete.

Most older GSMs need a 2G sim to work which is becoming harder to source.

Advertisement