Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

Mellor wrote: »
    That look dodgy as any fight I've ever seen.
    Shamrock's TDs were in slow mo, fair enough he is old.
    But he had hooks in and arm under the chin, but not able to finish. It's not an issue of age or strength. If he can deadlift his bodyweight then he is strong enough to finish there when a guy is not defending. And that's before you allow for the 40 years wrestling experience.

That was my first thought when he hit the single for the takedown leading to the choke. It was ploddingly slow, almost comically so. Once he wrapped one leg up Slice literally just fell over. Very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Lots of calls in other forums saying it was fixed.
    Certainly looked very odd that he couldn't finish the RNC from that position but I'm wondering if it was fixed why would it be fixed for Kimbo to win? Why not for Shamrock to win?
    And with so much on the line for Bellator if it ever got out that it was fixed, why would they risk it? They made their money from the fight regardless of the outcome.
    All it would take is for one of the fighters to become disgruntled with the organisation and confess to the fix and then it's game over for Bellator.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cletus wrote: »
    That was my first thought when he hit the single for the takedown leading to the choke. It was ploddingly slow, almost comically so. Once he wrapped one leg up Slice literally just fell over. Very odd

Yeah it was like he thought about the TD, but changed his mind and ballsed it up.
    And Kimbo still went down.
    monkey8 wrote: »
    Lots of calls in other forums saying it was fixed.
    Certainly looked very odd that he couldn't finish the RNC from that position but I'm wondering if it was fixed why would it be fixed for Kimbo to win? Why not for Shamrock to win?
    Shamrock is old and has no fights left in him.
    Kimbo defeating the "legend" creates a couple of BS matches they can sell on PPV. They'll match him up with a brawler and suggest their might be "bonuses" for keeping it standing (EliteXC).
    And with so much on the line for Bellator if it ever got out that it was fixed, why would they risk it? They made their money from the fight regardless of the outcome.
    All it would take is for one of the fighters to become disgruntled with the organisation and confess to the fix and then it's game over for Bellator.
    What's on the line really? I doubt it was much in the way of regulation in that state.
    Kimbo will never expose the fix as it ruins his credibility. Shamrock won't be planning a future to be disgruntled, but it looks just as bad on him if it came out. Even so they could just play him off as a sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Madness that Shamrock didn't finish that rear naked choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Paully D wrote: »
    Madness that Shamrock didn't finish that rear naked choke.

Any footage?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any footage?

here

Mellor wrote: »

Nothin happenin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Don't know how that choke didn't put him asleep. Nothin staged about the last punch. I think ken was slow, weak, extremely rusty and shouldn't be allowed to fight anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I thought the same thing about the choke initially, seemed like he had it locked in then adjusted to let it go but ill give them the benefit of the doubt. Glad he went for the take down from the off, if he had have stayed standing that would have screamed dodgy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thought kimbo tapped @1:50 on mellors link to video

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Don't know how that choke didn't put him asleep. Nothin staged about the last punch. I think ken was slow, weak, extremely rusty and shouldn't be allowed to fight anymore
    The punch at the end was real in the sense that Kimbo really hit him. But, even if he was told to hold back I reckon he still would of unloaded for the craic.
    Some people were pointing to the fact that he leaned into the punch with his, a basic technique for taking a punch.
    NhdW6fi.gif
    Davei141 wrote: »
    I thought the same thing about the choke initially, seemed like he had it locked in then adjusted to let it go but ill give them the benefit of the doubt. Glad he went for the take down from the off, if he had have stayed standing that would have screamed dodgy to me.

The take down he went for was glacier slow, he missed the single leg, but kimbo still went to his ass.
    The choke wasn’t tight at all, his left hand was on Kimbo’s forehead. That was bizarre and not how you finish a RNC. He could tense his arm all day here and not choke Kimbo. The only thing it does is make it easy to grab the arm and defend. If put his hand in the right position its over in seconds – Kimbo was basically not defending for 10 seconds.

vnqjWoe.gif

Obviously nobody can say that it was definitely fixed. But there's an awful lot of wtf moments in such a short fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

this fight wouldn't have looked out of place at a WWE (more specifically TNA) PPV.

For me, i'm like 99% sure this is a fix, shamrock let kimbo out of the rear naked choke - being 51 doesn't stop you from applying the basics of a technique that a veteran fighter should do on autopilot - Heck, given half a chance i'd be able to perform a rear naked choke on an opponent who is incapable/unwilling to put on any sort of defense - kimbo didn't move and even did a WWE style "near tap" when his arms seemed to flop at one stage , its reminiscent of people "almost" tapping out to a sharpshooter before grabbing the rope or getting free.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I really wish Bellator would stop this crap. Between this stuff and the Tito/Bonnar nonsense, it's becoming a pain to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I really wish Bellator would stop this crap. Between this stuff and the Tito/Bonnar nonsense, it's becoming a pain to watch

Felt it really took away from the rest of the card which had some brilliant fights on it.

I quite like Scott Coker. He's willing to take a few risks. Hell, he's got Glory and Bellator pretty much on the same card this September. Mental.

They do need to cut down on this type of crap though. It's a bit of a laughing stock when Bellator have some legitimately excellent athletes on their roster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 JonesGoat

If they put schilling daniels verhooven or anyone like that on that glory card it would be compelling viewing cannot wait for this night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That_Guy wrote: »
    Felt it really took away from the rest of the card which had some brilliant fights on it.

I quite like Scott Coker. He's willing to take a few risks. Hell, he's got Glory and Bellator pretty much on the same card this September. Mental.

They do need to cut down on this type of crap though. It's a bit of a laughing stock when Bellator have some legitimately excellent athletes on their roster.
    But is the strategy just not to attract people with the freakshow fights and get them to watch the legitimate fighters first in the hope people will tune in again in future to see them? I hope it works out for them. How many people would have seen the good fights otherwise

Bellator 139 tonight. Anybody any idea if spike uk have any plans to carry Bellator in the near future or are we stuck with "other means".

It's the only reason I bothered tuning it in on the freeview box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Davei141 wrote: »

Jesus.

He is a bad muthafecker

• Advertisement

Catherine Costigan is fighting at Invicta 13 in the early hours of Friday morning our time (she should be in the octagon around 3am Thursday night/Friday morning). She faces Amber Brown at atomweight and is favourite for the win (8/13 vs 6/5).

Cyborg is the main event on the card. Probably her last fight at 145 before trying 135.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,433 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait to see the Costigan fight, would be epic if she got a win on such a high level. I don't know how Cyborg cuts weight but that IV ban could cause serious problems on her cutting down anymore. Would be great to see her fight Honda but I just can't see the fight ever happening (hope I'm wrong)

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see the Costigan fight, would be epic if she got a win on such a high level. I don't know how Cyborg cuts weight but that IV ban could cause serious problems on her cutting down anymore. Would be great to see her fight Honda but I just can't see the fight ever happening (hope I'm wrong)

18 months ago she announced she was dropping to 135. There had been at least one ' test' cut that I can recall, and yet she's fighting in 24 hours at 145. The longer this goes on, the less I think she wants to make that cut

Van Duin had no business in there with Cyborg. Question is, does Invicta have anybody else on the roster that can present a challenge. Cyborg yet again called out Rousey, but she needs to make the weight cut as challenger.

Catherine Costigan looked out of her depth.

Palhares should be banned for a long time after that stunt last night. If it was the 1st or 2nd time he had done it you might give him the benefit of the doubt, but this must be the 4th or 5th time. Scumbag.

I see Ali Abdelaziz has said he may strip him of the title pending a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How Palhares is still allowed to compete in MMA is beyond me. I understand that Shields was angry and I'm sure he'll be punished for throwing a punch after the bell too.

Very scummy finish.

I remember reading on here ages ago that palhares is basically an idiot Neanderthal and is so stupid that he can't grasp what he's actually doing is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gouged all fight and held the sub for too long again (though it wasn't as long as usual). I'll feel bad for Shields if he gets in trouble he had every right to be furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Palhares is a unnecessary danger to other fighters and brings the unified rules into question.

I previously defended him on an earlier fight as I thought he barely held on too long and everyone was going over board with their reaction, and judging him on past incidents.

However I have come to the conclusion that he will never stop doing this. Every-time he grabs a submission he goes for the break and does not let go when his opponent taps. He will never learn, I believe he is a simpleton and there is a good chance he doesn't understand what he is doing. But due to this he is even more of a danger, despite multiple warning across various organisations the message is just not sinking in.

As much as I don't like to see anyone loose their job, he has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

An awful lot of fighters across various organisations are tweeting the same thing.

I think he's a cert to get the chop by WSOF. Which will just leave Bellator, or head east.

What a clown.

I haven't even seen the alleged eye gouging!

Advertisement