Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's out there.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

AIR on the move, headed for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

In Dunmore Harbour at the moment, the Caledonian Sky.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=8802870

Anna Schulte with bananas approaching from the south. They usually sail parallel along the south coast in the past, just wondering if it made a call before Cork.

I queried the Port of Cork concerning the "banana boat" and received a very prompt reply. The ship drops approx. 100 boxes at Ringaskiddy. They come from Costa Rica and are mostly fruit with the majority being loaded with bananas. There are some boxes loaded on, I do not know how many. Now I am wondering how those boxes got to Ireland before the call was made in Ringskiddy. Via Rotterdam or Tilbury or LeHarve...Southampton ??? Forgot to mention that the Freja Hafnia, which left Whiddy about ten days ago...arrived safely. Appears to be headed for the Phillips refinery in New Jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Tanker on the SPM in Bantry Bay this morning,the alfa something or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    I queried the Port of Cork concerning the "banana boat" and received a very prompt reply. The ship drops approx. 100 boxes at Ringaskiddy. They come from Costa Rica and are mostly fruit with the majority being loaded with bananas. There are some boxes loaded on, I do not know how many. Now I am wondering how those boxes got to Ireland before the call was made in Ringskiddy. Via Rotterdam or Tilbury or LeHarve...Southampton ??? Forgot to mention that the Freja Hafnia, which left Whiddy about ten days ago...arrived safely. Appears to be headed for the Phillips refinery in New Jersey.

The fruit used to come into Waterford before the Cork Route restarted.

mp22 wrote: »
    Tanker on the SPM in Bantry Bay this morning,the alfa something or other.
    Alfa Italia, now bound for Whitegate.

AIR on the move, headed for Cork.
    ...now headed for Sneem.

Lord Nelson Tall ship in Dunmore, and heading into Waterford tomorrow.

stavros-niarchos.jpg

• Advertisement

...now headed for Sneem.
    AIR...now headed for Schull. Anybody find out who is on board?

I heard the Cadbury's heir. I also heard nobody. Purely doing a PR cruise to be seen in all those other places.

I heard the Cadbury's heir. I also heard nobody. Purely doing a PR cruise to be seen in all those other places.
    It actually arrived here late for the Titanic anniversary and stayed here because they had no where else to go and too costly to keep it moving it around and didn't get enough media attention.As if they hadn't enough knowledge to do their figures to get here on time.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a thread on the Cork forum with lots of speculation and a few good photos (post #22): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056632195

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nice to see something unusual in and out of Dublin again
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=258531000

O to be on the beach in Rocky Bay this morning...Olib and Alfa Italia laying offshore with the Esther Schulte and her bananas approaching as I type this. Last time I was in Ringaskiddy I don't recall noticing a container yard so I would imagine that there is a long line of artic's waiting for the boxes off the Esther Schulte. I would also imagine every time a "banana boat" makes a call this is the practice, does anybody know that to be true?

Alfa Germania off the southcoast as I type this. The Freja Hafnia which departed from Whiddy over two weeks ago and discharged in New Jersey a few days ago was laying off the N.J. coast. Last indications were that it was headed back into New York harbour, this morning A.I.S. indicates it is "out of range".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Last time I was in Ringaskiddy I don't recall noticing a container yard so I would imagine that there is a long line of artic's waiting for the boxes off the Esther Schulte. I would also imagine every time a "banana boat" makes a call this is the practice, does anybody know that to be true?

I was wondering the same thing when the "banana" service started, it seems to be a very recent thing though,

http://afloat.ie/port-news/port-of-cork/item/18877-port-of-cork-marks-expansion-of-ringaskiddy-container-facility

this article is only from this week, it mentions the creation of a container storage area, so they must have had some spare room,
    how many containers are coming off at a time?, from reading bits on the internet they sound like a fecking nuisance to transport,
    i am assuming they all head to togher to be ripened?

edit: sorry i answered a question with a question!

The Orpheas joins the Alfa Germania in Bantry Bay. Is it first come, first served?

bladebrew wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing when the "banana" service started, it seems to be a very recent thing though,

http://afloat.ie/port-news/port-of-cork/item/18877-port-of-cork-marks-expansion-of-ringaskiddy-container-facility

this article is only from this week, it mentions the creation of a container storage area, so they must have had some spare room,
    how many containers are coming off at a time?, from reading bits on the internet they sound like a fecking nuisance to transport,
    i am assuming they all head to togher to be ripened?

edit: sorry i answered a question with a question!
    I seem to remember a "banana call" at Ringaskiddy up until a few years ago, just can't remember the details. I wonder if anyone bothered to consider deepening the river and using Marino Point as a place to drop boxes. Marino Point is connected the the rail system, so many of those boxes could go "up the country" by rail to a certain point. ( I will leave the naming/shaming of the moron who decided to sever rail service into the Tivoli container terminal to another thread/discussion!)

• Advertisement

I seem to remember a "banana call" at Ringaskiddy up until a few years ago, just can't remember the details. I wonder if anyone bothered to consider deepening the river and using Marino Point as a place to drop boxes. Marino Point is connected the the rail system, so many of those boxes could go "up the country" by rail to a certain point. ( I will leave the naming/shaming of the moron who decided to sever rail service into the Tivoli container terminal to another thread/discussion!)

Deepening the river? Pointless, while the low hanging ESB lines are there. It isn't the depth that's the issue, there's 17m of water below datum at Marino Point. Port of cork plan to use Marino Point as their new Bulk cargo Hub. Container hubs need to be as close to the open sea as possible. The turnaround is so short there is no advantage adding an hour transit time each end. It will just deter the lines from stopping there. That is one of the reasons Waterford(Bellevue) lost out.
    There is a rail link to Marino Point in the same way there is a rail link to tivoli. The line is still there, but Irish Rail are not doing TEU freight any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The Orpheas joins the Alfa Germania in Bantry Bay. Is it first come, first served?

Orpheas wins

Orpheas wins
    Anybody know why? Alfa was first "on line". The Freja Hafnia has reappeared. It is laying up just north of the Verrazano Narrows bridge, just offshore of Staten Island in the "upper bay" of New York harbour. Still showing New York as its next destination. The Verrazano Narrows bridge connects the NYC boroughs of Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Deepening the river? Pointless, while the low hanging ESB lines are there. It isn't the depth that's the issue, there's 17m of water below datum at Marino Point. Port of cork plan to use Marino Point as their new Bulk cargo Hub. Container hubs need to be as close to the open sea as possible. The turnaround is so short there is no advantage adding an hour transit time each end. It will just deter the lines from stopping there. That is one of the reasons Waterford(Bellevue) lost out.
    There is a rail link to Marino Point in the same way there is a rail link to tivoli. The line is still there, but Irish Rail are not doing TEU freight any more.
    I would think that the wires would not pose a problem, just raise the pylons on each side of the river. Would it actually take an additional hour to go to Marino Point as opposed to the DWB? On my last trip between Midleton and Cork on the train I could see the switch into Tivoli has been removed, this was well after reading about it some years ago. CIE is running container trains but only between two or three points-Mayo to Wexford or is it Waterford? Thanks for the news that Marino Point will be put to use, had no idea of that bulk port. In America there is a saying..."Keep on trucking ...by train" ( trailers and containers on railway flatcars as opposed to road movements.)

Now for something a little tougher than observing tanker movements in and out of Bantry Bay.
    Does anybody know what happened to the Daunt lightship off of Roberts Cove?
    Does anybody know what happened to "Ship Ahoy" the column in the Echo by Peter Levy? I think it stopped appearing about ten years ago.

Another tanker off the southcoast headed for Bantry, SCF Primorye.

Another tanker off the southcoast headed for Bantry, SCF Primorye.
    Its like O'Connell street in the rush hour here.

mp22 wrote: »
    Its like O'Connell street in the rush hour here.
    Will all three load or are they unloading?

Must be something happening with the Price of crude. Alfa Germania is due in Whitegate on the 7th,

• Advertisement

Will all three load or are they unloading?
    I dont know,I am going over to glengarrif in the morning so I will have a look and see.

Advertisement